Numbers 19:1-22:1; the "Red Cow" the "Water-Rock" and the "Bronze Serpent" (pointing to Christ)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BenAvraham

Aug 30, 2015
PARASHA: “Chukat” (ordinance of) Numbers 19:1-22:1

There are several themes in this Torah study. Number one is the “Red Heifer” This was for members of ‘B’nei Israel” that came into contact with the dead. We need to be reasonable since death was a common experience with Israel as with all of us, it is part of life. Death is the twilight of our existence. If death is our twilight, then our “sunrise” will be in the “World of Come” the “Eternal Heavenly Kingdom. If Yeshua is our Messiah and LORD and Savior, death is just a passage to eternal life with our king, Master, LORD, friend, husband, and Redeemer.

The priest had to sacrifice and burn up completely a cow, converting it to ashes. With this sacrifice, there were very important ingredients to be mixed with the ashes; Cedarwood, hyssop, and crimson. So, we now have cow ashes, cedar wood, hyssop, and crimson thread. These would be mixed with water and this mixture would be applied to a person who had to touch a dead person, (for reason of preparation and burial). After that, the person would be “tahor” (clean) and could re-enter the camp, since the person had to be outside for seven days. It is interesting to note that the priest applying the mixture would be considered “Tamei” (unclean) until the evening! How does this illustrate Yeshua HaMashiach?

We have the animal sacrifice, which always symbolizes our Messiah, then the cedarwood symbolizing the cross of Calvary, HE was our sacrifice for sin and was nailed to a wooden cross. We could also look at another symbolism, a cedar is tall and strong, unbendable. Could that describe our pride at times? not being willing to bend to the will of God? The hyssop reminds us of the first Passover when lamb’s blood was applied on the doorposts of Israel’s Egyptian dwellings. Without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin. Hyssop is also a very small tree or bush. The hyssop can bend and is very delicate. Could that also describe our character? The “crimson thread” reminds us of the blood, which was shed on the cross, His sinless blood was applied to our sins. There was an exchange, our “unrighteousness” for His “righteousness” Just as the priest remained “unclean” until the evening, so our Messiah became “unclean” for those few hours on the cross because He bore our sins, past, present, and future. Our “uncleanness” was exchanged for “cleanness” through Yeshua.

Chapter 20 deals with the death of Miriam. A leader, some say, can only take so much until tempers explode. He (Moshe) has lost his beloved sister, the people are complaining “again” they want water, Understandably, we all need water to live. Adonai understands and speaks to Moshe

“Take Aaron and your staff, go to “The” Rock and speak to it, and it shall bring forth water.” Seems like it was not just any rock, it was “THE” Rock. Oral tradition says that this rock followed the congregation where ever they went and water flowed from “The Rock”

It is interesting that the Hebrew word is not the usual word “Tzur” or “Aven” used for “Rock” or “stone” but the word “Selah” is used, this word means a “large stone or rock fortress or stronghold”. It also means a “rock that contains water.

This “Selah” reminds us of Mashiach who is the “living water”. Also, when we look at the Hebrew spelling of the word “Selah” we can see “Mayim” (water) in the middle of the letters. So, what do we mean by that? Well, let’s spell out the word “Selah” in Hebrew, this word contains three Hebrew letters “Samech (s) Lamed (l) and “Ayin” (ah) let’s look at the middle letters in these words; “saMech” “laMed” and “aYin” we have the letters M+M+Y, and when we rearrange the letters and add the vowels, we get “MaYiM” which is the word “water” in Hebrew.

In the area of Mt Sinai, in North East Saudi Arabia, one can see a “large strong, rugged Rock” with a crack down the middle of it. It seems like it is at least 30 feet tall. It is believed that “This” is “The Rock” (HaSelah)

Moshe, however, in his anger, did NOT obey the voice of HaShem. Instead, he said to the people;

” Listen you rebels, shall WE get water for you out of this rock?” and then struck the rock TWICE, with his staff. Water still came out. God still had compassion for His people, YET…Moshe and Aaron were in deep trouble! Anger cost Moshe his entrance into the promised land. The ROCK, symbolized YESHUA who is our SOLID ROCK, our FORTRESS! (Selah) who was struck only ONCE, for our sins. He died ONCE, was crucified ONCE! For ALL of our sins, past, present, and future. Moshe misrepresented YHVH, he said, “Are WE to get water for you…” The people saw “Moshe and Aaron” so, they probably thought’ ‘Moshe and Aaron got water for us’ Let’s hear it for Moshe and Aaron, nice going guys!” so they got the glory instead of Adonai.

Let's look at this from another standpoint. Are we "Tzurim?" or "Selahim?" Are we just rocks, hard and lifeless, or are we "Selahim?" Rocks that have water? Water is life and abundant life which comes from Yeshua and the Torah. John 7:38 reads;

"Whoever puts his trust in me, as the scripture says, out of his belly will flow rivers of living water"

However, we know that Moshe DID enter the promised land, 1500 years later, at the Mt. of Transfiguration. He appeared with Eliyahu, Moshe represented the Torah, and Eliyahu HaNavi” (The Prophets), and of course, Yeshua represented the New Covenant, all three symbolize the “Whole complete WORD of God” with nothing lacking!

Question! Are we still striking the rock with our staff? What do I mean by this? If the Selah is Yeshua, then, instead of speaking to Him, to confess our sins, or just to talk to Him about problems, are we, in a way, shaking our fists at him and demanding explanations of why this and that is happening to us? Or just saying "God, you're not fair!" that in a way, is like "striking the rock with our staff!

Chapter 21 talks about the “fiery serpents” in the desert, that were sent as punishment by God to bite the people who were “again” complaining. (Oi vey, when will they stop already?!) As soon as the people repented, God told Moshe to make a “bronze serpent” and place it on a pole and erect it so that ALL could see. In all places in scripture, the “serpent” symbolizes HaSatan, with the exception of this ONE time, this time, the bronze or copper serpent (seraph) symbolizes Yeshua, as he said in John;

“As the serpent was lifted up in the desert, so the Son of Man will be lifted up” He was both “lifted up” on the Cross of Calvary, and “lifted up” into the Heavenlies in his ascension. (John 3:14) "Just as Moshe lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up" (Jewish New Testament)

It is interesting that the word for “fiery serpent ” is “Nachash Seraphim” probably because on biting a person, the bite burned like fire. The “Seraphim” are angels that are related to “fire”. The Torah tells us that YHVH sent “N’chashim” (serpents) to bite the people. But during this fierce judgment, the people repent and plead to Moshe, “Tell YHVH to take away the “Nachash!” (21:7) in English and Spanish, the word “serpent” is written in the plural “serpents” but NOT in the original Hebrew, in the Hebrew, the word is singular, “Serpent” this is interesting, why singular” were there not many snakes around biting the people? Yes, but the singular word and phrase, “intercede with YHVH that He removes the “serpent” from us” points us to the symbolism of “HaSatan” who is “The Serpent” the same that was in the Garden of Eden. The people repent and in a way are saying, “Remove Satan from our midst”

It is also interesting that the words "serpent" and "copper" are similar. "Nachash" (serpent) "N'choshet" (copper) Both words have some of the same letters. The venom that was killing the people had an antidote, the same serpent that was biting the people, yet it was a serpent of copper. The serpents that caused death also saved. Messiah Yeshua took the curse of death and gave us life.

This is what happened at Calvary when our Messiah took upon himself all the “Bites of HaSatan, the “Nachash” to heal us so that we might have eternal life. The image of the beast that caused death was also the source of life! Yeshua became death so that we might have life.

Interesting to note that probably not all of the Congregation of Israel could visibly “see” the serpent, being the encampment perhaps 4 or 5 miles square due to the number of people and cattle, so, even “looking in the direction “ of the serpent would have served the purpose of receiving healing from the snake bites (my thought). Then perhaps, Moshe might have placed the pole with the copper serpent on it on a hill, so that all could see it from a distance. Today, our faith is our “healing” to receive salvation through trusting in Yeshua/Jesus who was “lifted up” and bore our sins.

Ben Avraham

The wonder of creation and nature. Tropical beetle about 2 inches long
IMG_0909.JPG

E

evyaniy

The part about the Rock is so important as you pointed out. The first time, the Rock was to be struck to bring forth the water. After that, the Rock was to be spoken to, to bring forth water. The Rock was only to be struck one time. It was the law's requirement that the Rock be struck once to accomplish our salvation.

1 Corinthians 10:4

and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Messiah.

Hebrews 9:11-15

11 But Messiah having come as a High Priest of the coming good things, through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation, 12 nor yet through the blood of goats and calves, but through His Own blood, entered in once for all into the Holy Place, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled, sanctify to the cleanness of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Messiah, Who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without defect to YAH, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living EL? 15 For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, since a death has occurred for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first covenant, that those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

E

evyaniy

Exodus 17

3 The people were thirsty for water there; so the people murmured against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us, our children, and our livestock with thirst?”
4 Moses cried to YHVH, saying, “What shall I do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.”
5 YHVH said to Moses, “Walk on before the people, and take the elders of Israel with you, and take the rod in your hand with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6 Behold, I will stand before you there on the Rock in Horeb(desert). You shall strike the Rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.” Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7 He called the name of the place Massah(testing), and Meribah(quarreling), because the children of Israel quarreled, and because they tested YHVH, saying, “Is YHVH among us, or not?”

E

evyaniy

Numbers 20

6 Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly to the door of the Tent of Meeting, and fell on their faces. YHVH’s glory appeared to them. 7 YHVH spoke to Moses, saying, 8 “Take the rod, and assemble the congregation, you, and Aaron your brother, and speak to the Rock before their eyes, that it pour out its water. You shall bring water to them out of the Rock; so you shall give the congregation and their livestock drink.”

E

evyaniy

It is also a picture of the law concerning Messiah. Moses represents the law. He was to strike the Rock one time as instructed to by YHVH. That brought forth the water. After that He was to speak to the Rock to bring forth the water. As you pointed out, now that Messiah the Rock has been struck to accomplish our salvation as the law required, now we are to speak to the Rock to confess our sins and trust that He saves us and gives us Eternal Life.

E

evyaniy

Beautiful post in many ways. Thank you for sharing it.

E

evyaniy

1 Corinthians 5:21

For He(the Father) hath made Him(the Son) to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of YAH in Him(the Son).

E

evyaniy

John 3

14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

E

evyaniy

John 12

23 Yeshua answered them, “The time has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Most certainly I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains by itself alone. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 He who loves his life will lose it. He who hates his life in this world will keep it to eternal life. 26 If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me. Where I am, there My servant will also be. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.
27 “Now My soul is troubled. What shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this time’? But I came to this time for this cause. 28 Father, glorify Your Name!”
Then a voice came out of the sky, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”
29 Therefore the multitude who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”
30 Yeshua answered, “This voice hasn’t come for My sake, but for your sakes. 31 Now is the judgment of this world. Now the prince of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself.”