Obese kids banned from Boy Scout Jamboree

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Link--> Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

They say it's being done for safety reasons.
This specific Jamboree has many physical type activities which could be harmful to obese kids.

Sadly it makes sense given the fact so many are so quick to file lawsuits.

D

danschance

Absolutely! It is about safety not discrimination. The location of the Jamboree is hot and humid. People who are out of shape, obese, diabetic and chronically ill are at a much greater risk of suffering heat related complications (dehydration, heat stress, heat exhaustion and heat stroke). Heat stroke is life threatening. Once a person gets a heat stroke they become even more prone to it.

BillyTheKid

Feb 17, 2009
If the parents get upset maybe they need to ask themselves who caused this problem to begin with. Parents shouldn't be upset when their obese child is banned from physical activities. It is primarily their fault for letting their child get that way in my opinion.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
but admitting gay youths is (morally) safe?

BillyTheKid

Feb 17, 2009
but admitting gay youths is (morally) safe?
LOL....really? Why is it that on this forum someone ALWAYS tries to drag the whole homosexual thing in to EVERY topic? I think the main point is the safety of the kids.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
LOL....really? Why is it that on this forum someone ALWAYS tries to drag the whole homosexual thing in to EVERY topic? I think the main point is the safety of the kids.
that was my point. Immoral behavior is not safe.Besides this is the first time on any forum I have 'dragged' in the homosexual issue. It was just in this case a propos in light of their recent buckling.

Last edited:
A

AgeofKnowledge

Good point. In the old days, people didn't run down and file lawsuits to see if they could win the lawsuit lottery unless something serious happened and they needed to be reimbursed. When I was a kid, people who filed exploitive, greedy, or frivolous lawsuits were shunned because they lacked honor and most people still had it back then.

Over 110 million Americans passed through the Boy Scouts of America which offered gun safety and training classes using live ammunition. Millions of young people were mentored and trained in the proper use of firearms with their first firearm often coming from the government M1 carbine program. We were all safer for it. They still do!

Shooting Sports

Because they didn't organize initially as a Christian organization (though they did base much of their founding documents on Christian principles), they left open the door for a large number of demonically inspired lawsuits and political attacks upon their organization.

They weathered them nicely winning lawsuit after lawsuit right up to and including lawsuits that went before the Supreme Court but they could have saved themselves about a hundred million dollars in legal expenses.

None of those lawsuits would have gotten past the preliminary stage if they had been able to assert they were founded as a Christian organization (it's against the law for the government to tell a Christian organization they can't practice their religion).

Well they won them all anyways. The Supreme Court upheld their right to allow or disallow in atheists and homosexuals. It was up to them. Recently they chose to allow the kids in these two categories to join but not adults.

Link--> Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

They say it's being done for safety reasons.
This specific Jamboree has many physical type activities which could be harmful to obese kids.

Sadly it makes sense given the fact so many are so quick to file lawsuits.

G

Grey

Activities physically dangerous to the obese? Like what working out?

D

danschance

Activities physically dangerous to the obese? Like what working out?

Obesity is a safety concern when the temperature rises above 85 deg F. Right now the high is around 88 degrees Fahrenheit but the heat index for the same area is 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Fat is an insulation and the fatter you are, means the ratio of volume to surface are is actually less than a thin person.

I was a scoutmaster for 5 years. I regularly saw bulletins about limiting children on "high adventure activities" to 40 or less BMI, all the time. I am glad they put their foot down.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I was a Boy Scout, it was a physical activity group and those who were not in condition to persue the activity naturally bowed out. But now we have people who insist on being part of things they don't agree with. For them to bow out is one thing, for them to be excluded is another. So do you allow the unconditioned, and risk the injury lawsuit, or tell them no, and risk the discrimination lawsuit? Or do you ammend the activity list to accomodate their level, eliminating the heart and soul intent of the organization? Any way they turn, the Boy Scouts (and any like organizations) are screwed.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Lol @ Ricky. Sad but true. Americans are living longer but seem to be regressing when it comes to their level of maturity overall.

G

Grey

Lol @ Ricky. Sad but true. Americans are living longer but seem to be regressing when it comes to their level of maturity overall.
Very true, well I suppose its like more water is in the boat, though we're able to bail out water faster.