Oil pulling?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tintin

15 to 20mins? That's a long time to swish oil around in your mouth without swallowing it! I've never heard of it before now and it sounds rather silly to me (and I've heard some really strange health tips before).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I'd be careful about this one. I know that anything acidic will soften tooth enamel and that you shouldn't brush for about an hour after having anything acidic in your mouth, since the brushing will have a negative effect on the softened enamel. It takes about an hour for the enamel to recover its hardness. Coconut oil is high in medium-chain fatty acids, so I would think it's on the acidic side of the pH scale.
If you wait until you brush, you should be fine.
i wondered abt the post and saw a bit info from a blog site: Among the listed oils in this chart, coconut oil is the only alkaline-forming oil. Coconut oil is an alkaline food, which taken along with an overall alkaline diet can help the body maintain its normal and healthy pH balance (7.35-7.45). The alkaline diet is based on the premise that there are certain types of foods that are alkaline-forming...
[h=3]Coconut Oil as Part of an Alkaline Diet[/h]Coconut is such a natural food that it’s no surprise that much of what’s inside is good for you. The health benefits of coconut milk, juice, and flesh are all well documented, and now you can add alkalinity to its list of features. It’s important to note that coconut oil is better when it’s raw - never exposed to heated elements as raw coconut oil is alkaline.

K

Kaycie

I've tried coconut oil for many things including dry mouth and oral health, it works great if you can get past the taste, not that it tastes bad, but it is oil. I've also replaced my cooking oils with coconut oil for the health benefits. A lot of people think it's unhealthy because it's solid, but it surprisingly melts with body heat. I use it to see if it's too hot or too cold in my house. Coincidentally, the very degree it melts at is perfect house temperature for me.

Oils (in small amounts) are very important for the body. They don't call them essential oils for nothing. It's not enough to just drink water, cause what does that do? It rinses things away. In order to keep moisture in your body so that your organs can stay wet and function, you need oil to keep that moisture. This is why Gatorade helps keep athletes hydrated, it has a small amount of oil in it. What an unhealthy way to get it, in kook aid chemicals. I just add a scoop of coconut oil about the size of a blueberry into something I eat everyday. Fish and nuts do the same, the oil in walnuts is especially good for brain function.

Coconut oil is a cure-all! I use it as lotion on any body part, and unlike lotion, it heals scraps and bruises and is a natural germicide. I even use it in my hair (sparingly and diluted with warm water). It works as a Chapstick. Some people rub a little between their fingers then lightly pull on their eye lashes to help them grow longer. Basically it works on your entire body inside and out. But don't eat it by the spoonfuls like a former miss America did. Use it sparingly and don't take it to an extreme, a little goes a really long way.

FYI: Coconut oil makes the best popcorn- that's what movie theaters use to make their popcorn.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2014
coconut oil is one of the oldest known helpful natural inexpensive foods.... soon to be gone???

the fda, directed by phrmk, is trying to bannnnnn coconut oil this year. (or change it's composition like it allowed gmo alteration to remove benefits from food and to cause harm) . this will be perhaps number 50 or close to it the number of natural items to be removed from general availability recently because the phrmk ordered it.

(in texax in one town the fda removed vitamin c from the shelves of every store in town because it was being "dispensed without a prescription" and used to prevent or cure heart disease. ...
... ...
they never once said it doesn't work (nobel prize winners proved it works before 1950), only that it's being dispensed without a prescription)

Dec 26, 2014
is oil pulling very effective?
not every time.

but it has been very useful for 4500 years.

and when used properly, simply, it is

non-harmful (totally the opposite of toxic man-made synthetic poisons)

usually inexpensive

not-patentable (thus the difficulty in greedy societies to find truth)

and (naturally)

made by and for and with and in yahshua in yahweh's plan.

Aug 26, 2014
i wondered abt the post and saw a bit info from a blog site: Among the listed oils in this chart, coconut oil is the only alkaline-forming oil. Coconut oil is an alkaline food, which taken along with an overall alkaline diet can help the body maintain its normal and healthy pH balance (7.35-7.45). The alkaline diet is based on the premise that there are certain types of foods that are alkaline-forming...
Coconut Oil as Part of an Alkaline Diet

Coconut is such a natural food that it’s no surprise that much of what’s inside is good for you. The health benefits of coconut milk, juice, and flesh are all well documented, and now you can add alkalinity to its list of features. It’s important to note that coconut oil is better when it’s raw - never exposed to heated elements as raw coconut oil is alkaline.
You have to understand the difference between an alkaline food and an alkalizing food. Coconut oil is full of fatty acids. Apple cider vinegar is also quite acidic. They both, however, are alkalizing in the body when digested, due to the pH buffering system we all have.
My point was that acidic foods (such as ACV and coconut oil) soften tooth enamel. This softening does not rectify itself for about 30-60 minutes after the acidic food (note I said acidic, not acidifying) is no longer in contact with the teeth.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2014
coconut oil is 10,000,000 times safer and better in its effects than any fluoridated water or toothpaste.

ion fact, coconut tends towards health, while fluoride(nafl, not cafl) is posin and hurts the body/teeth and bones. cafl is fine, but not used anywhere i know of(haven't searched though).

nafl has been toxic waster ever since the steel industry started having to pay extra to dispose of it, before they convince the government to buy it and put it in peoples water and paste.

the more you find out, the more you find out. i.e. keep seeking. don't ever give up.

M

Miss_Homestead

I have used virgin cold pressed coconut oil to brush my teeth and for oil pulling. My friends use sesame oil. I like the way it cleans my teeth. I sometime would make my own paste with a few drops of peppermint oil, baking soda, coconut oil. I had my mercury silver fillings removed and my holistic dentist recommend a documentary on you tube called Poisoned Horses and The Smoking Tooth. Very interesting.

Feb 7, 2015
Oh, I just noticed.... you're NOT supposed to swallow it. (No wonder!)

S

Spark

Yes I have heard of it. Not tried it .

S

spylady

Hello everyone. May I share to you my personal experience on oil pulling. I have braces on for a couple of years now due to some dental issues I met during my 1-year military training. It seemed to me that mouth washes are fairly effective but they caused irritation to my gums so I turned to oil pulling as per advice of my very close friend who have tried oil pulling for several years now, she is a nurse so she has medical facts to back her good claims on oil pulling. I've been doing oil pulling using Virgin Coconut oil for 6 months now and so far my gums are healthier and my teeth are fairly whiter than they used to. So far, my brace brackets have not come off nor my dental fillings. Of course to each his own; this is just my personal experience on oil pulling.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
As far as not swallowing coconut oil, it may possibly be harmful after detoxing the mouth, but it in not harmful to swallow by itself. An Alzheimer's treatment that a doctor lady used on her husband was seven table spoonfuls a day, actually a combination of MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil and a certain brand of coconut oil that she recommended to readers of her book to use. Some of it is used by the body immediately for energy and the rest is converted in the liver to Ketones, an alternative source of energy for our cells. That being said I wouldn't recommend swallowing it if you have liver problems.