ok....here it goes...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tkgurl

BIG QUESTION TIME:

so ive been studying and reading the bible a lot lately because im confused about a couple of things. ive noticed that my parents and other people have told me to listen to some of the rules in the bible. how do you pick and choose which ones? you CANT! i dont think that its an all or nothing thing either. i believe what the bible says, but it was a different culture back then. things have changed. not everything but some things. im not the most conservative person either so naturally i dont listen to every detail. i dont wear weird face coverings and i cut my hair, but thats beside the point. what am i supposed to listen to? just the major commandments and demonstrate the fruits of the spirit? what? i dont get it....

L

lighthousejohn

BIG QUESTION TIME:

so ive been studying and reading the bible a lot lately because im confused about a couple of things. ive noticed that my parents and other people have told me to listen to some of the rules in the bible. how do you pick and choose which ones? you CANT! i dont think that its an all or nothing thing either. i believe what the bible says, but it was a different culture back then. things have changed. not everything but some things. im not the most conservative person either so naturally i dont listen to every detail. i dont wear weird face coverings and i cut my hair, but thats beside the point. what am i supposed to listen to? just the major commandments and demonstrate the fruits of the spirit? what? i dont get it....
tkgurl

Jesus summed up all the coomandments when he said that we are "To love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself. If everything you do is filtered through those two commandments (are you doing it because yo love God or you love your neighbor) then you won't have any problems.

In Christ.
John

L

lightbliss

It's when people pick and choose what scriptures they'll abide by and which they'll disregard or the ones that are most convenient for them, people start having problems.

But lighthousejohn summed it up nicely.

If you follow those two commandments, everything else in the Bible will come naturally.

Dec 19, 2009
BIG QUESTION TIME:

The Lord can guide you himself:

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26 RSV

Dec 19, 2009
This might help:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

Dec 19, 2009
I think this verse is helpful:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

M

Melvainyo

tkgurl

Jesus summed up all the coomandments when he said that we are "To love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself. If everything you do is filtered through those two commandments (are you doing it because yo love God or you love your neighbor) then you won't have any problems.

In Christ.
John
EXACTLY! Many Churches still wear veils and dont allow women to speak in church... but those rules were for the early church. The Holy Ghost will guide you to do the right things if you let him.

May 21, 2009
All the other peoples saying were very good. Also you are to tell people about Jesus. One biggy is to forgive and don't hold hate.

D

Dmurray

We can't pick in chose. Everything is in there for a reason. God will convict you of certain things. We don't have to wear head coverings but God does have standards right? And we all know his standards are very very high. We should listen to the whole Bible. Whether or not Society has changed is out of the question. What matters is Gods word didn't change, and neither did God.

PS - One of the biggest problems is the context of some of the verses, and where they come from. Talk to your Pastor. He is here to tend to the sheep while the Good Shepherd isn't physically present ;)

Last edited by a moderator: