Old Testament, Greek vs. Hebrew?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Porphyrios

What makes the Hebrew versions of the OT more authoritative then the Greek Septuagint? Or is the Greek version more important? Should they be regarded with equal authority?

M

Miah45

δεν ξερο αλλα...אני חושב שאלוהימ דבר אבריט

P

Porphyrios

I apologize but I myself am not so far in my own Greek studies. My main concern here is what should be the source when translating the scripture into English.

S

Slepsog4

The Old Testament was inspired in the Hebrew language. This should have the supremacy. The Septuagint (LXX) is merely a translation by uninspired men.

One would not normally prefer a Latin translation over the Greek original for the NT, so why prefer Greek over Hebrew in the OT?

P

Porphyrios

There is good evidence to believe that the Hebrew was corrupted after Christ in order to write out some christological references. Also the LXX is what Christ and the Apostles quote out of in the NT Scripture.

S

Slepsog4

Porphyrios,

What is this "supposed" evidence?

P

Porphyrios

"The Hebrew text diverges in some passages that Christians hold to prophesy Christ[22] and the Eastern Orthodox Church still prefers to use the LXX as the basis for translating the Old Testament into other languages." - wikipedia

"Many of the oldest Biblical verses among the Dead Sea Scrolls, particularly those in Aramaic, correspond more closely with the LXX than with the Masoretic text (although the majority of these variations are extremely minor, e.g. grammatical changes, spelling differences or missing words, and do not affect the meaning of sentences and paragraphs).[1][23][24] This confirms the scholarly consensus that the LXX represents a separate Hebrew-text tradition from that which was later standardized as the Masoretic text."

Not to mention that many here are fans of the KJV of the Bible, I am sure, which was translated from Greek LXX manuscripts, not the Masoretic hebrew texts.

B

Baptistrw

The Old Testament was inspired in the Hebrew language. This should have the supremacy. The Septuagint (LXX) is merely a translation by uninspired men.

One would not normally prefer a Latin translation over the Greek original for the NT, so why prefer Greek over Hebrew in the OT?

Exactly. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.