opinions anyone

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
Im running a tabletop roleplay game to few people with Christian mentality and deeper meanings attached there. Now I ran into certain "problem" there.
The setup of this game is happening in medieval level world so people don't have the luxuries or knowledge of modern time available.

Character A is a young man who is/was engaged to Character B. This couple ended up into great accident and was separated so that neither had any possibility to find each other, yet they know that the other one is alive somewhere.

Several years passed:

After the Accident C - A had been adopted into a new family and taken as one family member there. The C - A have also been fortunate and became a successful career man where C - B just managing woman who works low paid job enough to get food but not permanent house (and forced to move all the time)

Now C - A is having his 30th birthday nearing as his foster father approaches him. He tells his son that his sibling (younger than C - A) and the only biological son of the family had fallen ill/gotten otherwise grave situation and his survival is unsure. Since neither of the sons are/ were unmarried and the culture practically requires a male heir it's the obligation of C - A to finally find himself a spouse.
C - A still aware of existence of C -B (and vice versa) have to now decide what shall he do. He have spent at least decade trying to look his lost fiance with no success. And now he is told to marry in 1 month.

Before i throw this dilemma to the players I thought to ask it here.
1. How you would suggest C - A to do. (in his heart he wants to stay loyal to C - B)
2. If C - A would marry another woman because his obligation to his new family, how you would see the reaction of C - B and their relation if / when by mere luck they accidentally and finally meet 6 months after the wedding.

The purpose of the game is to make people see world around them christian point of view and why it's good to follow what bible teaches.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sorry it sounds rather complicated to me. How about just be a christian in real life? You know, by repenting and believing.

It makes me wonder if those first person shooter games are created so that people can get into the mindset of a killer or criminal and maybe get people interested in buying guns. There must be some underlying agenda to those sorts of games other than to make money.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
First question I have is, why does character A have to find a wife in a set time period? Second question is, how does any of this convey anything the Bible teaches? Third question is, can't character A abdicate?

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
First question I have is, why does character A have to find a wife in a set time period? Second question is, how does any of this convey anything the Bible teaches? Third question is, can't character A abdicate?
First: In real life certain countries and cultures people cannot freely choose (always) who they will marry. This case bases on this matter. Usually it's woman who is told to marry a certain man and she cannot object but in this case it's man. (in the end gender does not matter)

Second: This is the very reason I brought this up here. In situation like I said in first question where two people have promised to each other to marry but their parents separate them by their own judgement or ambition. I have thought how Bible would stand and guide in this kind of situation, and most of all how each of the people involved should take this "judgement".

Third: I don't see it impossible but hard thing to do. As he have to go against his parents. (10 commandments: respect your your your parents)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I am aware of (but do not necessarily agree with) some cultures requiring people to marry by a certain time, for social responsibility reasons. I've never heard of one where a man has to get married by a certain date though.

And I'm still not understanding where any Bible principle comes into play. "Honor your father and mother" doesn't factor in if your parents are requiring you to do something wrong.

The problem with contrived situations is they are so... contrived. I never could take the Trolley Problem seriously because my first question is, "Who is tying all these people onto trolley tracks and why didn't somebody stop him?" :sneaky:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
tjogs please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just not really understanding how the whole scenario holds together. On the surface it seems to have plot holes that are acres wide, and I just don't get it.

C

CozHElivesIcanface2morrow

I don't know if I understand it so well but I'll try...

That's so complicated and hard to decide what A should do... I am sure A feels so indebted to his foster parents....A is torn between his foster parents and his love for B...I assume that he still love B because despite everything, A is still looking for B after all these years.

The situation is not easy and A should think about his situation very carefully because Marriage is a serious and a lifetime commitment. It is sad to get stuck in a marriage with someone you don't love for the rest of your life.

Now, if A will decide to marry another woman and after 6 months A meets B well, the answer to that is... A should stay away from B because He is a married man already and B should do the same...

I believe that our circumstances sometimes becomes an opportunity to find and to experience the most beautiful kind of love....maybe that beautiful love is not B...maybe it is C. 😅

Oh my but the situation is really complicated and painful to A and maybe also to B if she is still hoping and waiting to meet A... Well,this makes me feel sad now... 😭 I want A and B to be together forever 😅 interesting love story anyway 😅

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
In my personal opinion I think the "game master" or table top leader should not really lead the players so much as what happens as a result of their reactions to the encounters you create.

I think A should do what is in his heart wether it is trying to change his fathers perspective or whatever he choses. (principal being if this is a Christian themed game he ought to seek the LORDS guidance opposed to do what pleases man or self)

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
This scenario is something that will come to live after few game episodes from now. Character B, the girl, is player controlled character who is "blackmailed" by demon (biblical and to be treated as such). Character A is non player character under my control and his marriage is result of several events affected by players. Since I'm game master I noticed this outcome to happen and therefore I feel responsibility for both A and B inside the game.

Yes its game so we are not messing real peoples lives here but the whole idea is to make players, the Character B player included to see and think about the world as Christians should so I was thinking should i try to protect B from "herself" and prevent the marriage to happen.
As Coz said if A will marry another woman then B is out and in game time 6 months her choices will materialize to her the hard way. (the B loves A and haven't given up... yet to find him but now this blackmail came to picture (to teach players not to deal or mess with demons) it also resulted said blackmail issue I wasn't actually prepared in advance. Now the ball is on B to decide how to deal the threat and get rid of the demon they underestimated badly.
Last thought: What if it's C? interesting change of original plan but that's the nature of these kind of games and exactly why i like them.

Yeah I know I leave now lots of stuff unsaid. the story is so huge that squeezing it here would require me to write a novel or two lol.

How I make Christian theme shown it the game: first I try to make people to see that there is God and there is Devil and each player must choose which one they follow (easy tempting way or hard but right way to put simple). And secondly to give them idea why prayer matters. (something that they haven't done yet at all) in game rules i made specific however concealed way that any player any time can pray the Lord whatever they have in their mind and as Game master I treat these with special care.

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
tjogs please don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just not really understanding how the whole scenario holds together. On the surface it seems to have plot holes that are acres wide, and I just don't get it.
Oh, no problem. To me the plot and people there have twists so much that I have simplified it perhaps too much here.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

The only other questions I have are about combat and whether you are using d20 system for rolls... But that doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this thread. ;)

tjogs

Jun 28, 2009
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

The only other questions I have are about combat and whether you are using d20 system for rolls... But that doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this thread. ;)
Im preferring story and social stuff over combat in the game and using D100 system. (It's fantasy, it's adventure and it's practically war time in the game but how much people in that environment can progress without violence)

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Im running a tabletop roleplay game to few people with Christian mentality and deeper meanings attached there. Now I ran into certain "problem" there.
The setup of this game is happening in medieval level world so people don't have the luxuries or knowledge of modern time available.

Character A is a young man who is/was engaged to Character B. This couple ended up into great accident and was separated so that neither had any possibility to find each other, yet they know that the other one is alive somewhere.

Several years passed:

After the Accident C - A had been adopted into a new family and taken as one family member there. The C - A have also been fortunate and became a successful career man where C - B just managing woman who works low paid job enough to get food but not permanent house (and forced to move all the time)

Now C - A is having his 30th birthday nearing as his foster father approaches him. He tells his son that his sibling (younger than C - A) and the only biological son of the family had fallen ill/gotten otherwise grave situation and his survival is unsure. Since neither of the sons are/ were unmarried and the culture practically requires a male heir it's the obligation of C - A to finally find himself a spouse.
C - A still aware of existence of C -B (and vice versa) have to now decide what shall he do. He have spent at least decade trying to look his lost fiance with no success. And now he is told to marry in 1 month.

1. How you would suggest C - A to do. (in his heart he wants to stay loyal to C - B)
2. If C - A would marry another woman because his obligation to his new family, how you would see the reaction of C - B and their relation if / when by mere luck they accidentally and finally meet 6 months after the wedding.

The purpose of the game is to make people see world around them christian point of view and why it's good to follow what bible teaches.
Why couldn't C explain to A and his foster father that he is already betrothed to B, and that he would be duty bound to marry B if ever he found her? If A and the foster father still want C to marry A, he could marry her, as he would have explained that he must also marry B if he finds her.

I think finding B would preclude him from a leadership position in the church, though.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Several years passed:

I would advise Him not to marry anyone He did not love.. It is an unjust obligation to his new family to be forced to marry someone in a loveless marriage simply to provide an heir..

I would expect them both to be devastated...