Our heavenly creature?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lighthousejohn

A question for discussion;

Are we to take the image and words of Esekiel 1:10-14 lierally or figuratively. If literally then does that mean that the Spirit being referred to in verse 12 is the Holy Spirit? If it is, then does that mean that all believers have a creature accompanying them since we are filled with the Holy Spirit?

Ezekiel 1:10-14
10 The form of [each of] their faces was that of a man, and each of the four had the face of a lion on the right, the face of an ox on the left, and the face of an eagle. 11 [That is what] their faces [were like]. Their wings were spread upward; each had two [wings] touching that of another and two wings covering its body. 12 Each creature went straight ahead. Wherever the Spirit wanted to go, they went without turning as they moved.
13 The form of the living creatures was like the appearance of burning coals of fire and torches. Fire was moving back and forth between the living creatures; it was bright, with lightning coming out of it. 14 The creatures were darting back and forth like flashes of lightning.

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Feb 3, 2010

Are we to take the image and words of Esekiel 1:10-14 lierally or figuratively. If literally then does that mean that the Spirit being referred to in verse 12 is the Holy Spirit? If it is, then does that mean that all believers have a creature accompanying them since we are filled with the Holy Spirit?

10 The form of [each of] their faces was that of a man, and each of the four had the face of a lion on the right, the face of an ox on the left, and the face of an eagle. 11 [That is what] their faces [were like]. Their wings were spread upward; each had two [wings] touching that of another and two wings covering its body. 12 Each creature went straight ahead. Wherever the Spirit wanted to go, they went without turning as they moved.
13 The form of the living creatures was like the appearance of burning coals of fire and torches. Fire was moving back and forth between the living creatures; it was bright, with lightning coming out of it. 14 The creatures were darting back and forth like flashes of lightning.

You just inspired me to study Esekiel again - that is an awesome verse.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
you have perked my interest to read more.
God bless, pickles

Jan 8, 2009
It either means, they went wherever their own spirit wanted to go.
Or they were led by the Spirit.

I would say no, to all believers having a creature accompanying them. This describes how it is in heaven, either literally or figuratively. The eagle face represents speed and high flight, the ox represents hard work and patience, the lion represents strength and the man represents wisdom. God has these creatures around Him in heaven, we dont.

G

greatkraw

you can apply those 4 creatures to the 4 gospels

Matthew = Lion = Christ's Kingship
Mark = Ox = Christ's Servanthood
Luke = Man = Christs Humanity
John = Eagle = Christ's Deity

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009

Notice that the creatures were not the Spirit, but went wherever the Spirit wanted to go. We should be more like these creatures.

L

lighthousejohn

Notice that the creatures were not the Spirit, but went wherever the Spirit wanted to go. We should be more like these creatures.

I agree but do we have the creatures with us? Ref. Hebrews 1:14

"14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

Sounds like us to me.

Is this verse speaking of angels as ministering spirits? I believe they are and it goes to show what God will do to guard/help His children.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009

"14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

Sounds like us to me.

Is this verse speaking of angels as ministering spirits? I believe they are and it goes to show what God will do to guard/help His children.

Yes the angels watch over us,and are very curious about us and our relationship with God. But these four creatures are before the throne of God,day and night, always worshipping Him. This is their place.

O

oopsies

Sounds like us to me.

Are you asking about guardian angels? o_O

Feb 17, 2010
If you read the whole chapter, your question is answered as to just what it is Yechezk'el is seeing. He is basically seeing heavenly guardians, the Master of which is identified:

Ezekiel 1:26-28
Above the dome that was over their heads was something like a throne that looked like a sapphire. On it, above it, was what appeared to be a person. I saw what looked like gleaming, amber-colored fire radiating from what appeared to be his waist upward. Downward from what appeared to be his waist, I saw what looked like fire, giving a brilliant light all around him. This brilliance around him looked like a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day. This was how the appearance of the glory of ADONAI looked. When I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of someone speaking.

G

greatkraw

If you read the whole chapter, your question is answered as to just what it is Yechezk'el is seeing. He is basically seeing heavenly guardians, the Master of which is identified:

Ezekiel 1:26-28
Above the dome that was over their heads was something like a throne that looked like a sapphire. On it, above it, was what appeared to be a person. I saw what looked like gleaming, amber-colored fire radiating from what appeared to be his waist upward. Downward from what appeared to be his waist, I saw what looked like fire, giving a brilliant light all around him. This brilliance around him looked like a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day. This was how the appearance of the glory of ADONAI looked. When I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of someone speaking.
John the apostle saw the same scene

L

lighthousejohn

I was not asking who the creatures are, I was asking what you believe about the creatures. It is your viewpoint that I am interested in. I still am.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I was not asking who the creatures are, I was asking what you believe about the creatures. It is your viewpoint that I am interested in. I still am.

They are creatures created by God with the specific purpose of praising God, day and night, all the time, before the throne, forever. They are a manifestation of His glory, for all in heaven to see and hear.They are worshipers who are worshiping in the Spirit of God. In a way, I believe that we will be worshiping with them for eternity.

O

oopsies

Oh, hmmm... I think it was more of a one-off thing or rather, one instance of what happens because in verses 1-14, Ezekiel is described as having visions that God is providing. There is no indication that this is always the case where the creatures follow the Spirit everywhere nor does it indicate that it is not always the case. Also, this was in the Old Testament. The Holy Spirit (I'm assuming that's what's being referred to) is sealed into each of us but that doesn't necessarily mean that now the creatures follow us because of that. In the Old Testament, God would place His Spirit on individuals - a one off kind of thing. That's why when David sinned, he cried out to God not to remove His Holy Spirit from him. So though I would like to think I have an army of creatures and angels following me wherever I go (which is comforting), I... don't know lol Why did I bother to type all that text... I could've just answered it in 3 words. -_-;

L

lighthousejohn

I agree, I don't know either. So what is your take on Hebrews 1:14 14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" . Sounds pretty straight forward to me. What do you thinkl?

O

oopsies

I agree, I don't know either. So what is your take on Hebrews 1:14 14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" . Sounds pretty straight forward to me. What do you thinkl?
John MacArthur, though on the extreme side (isn't he always? lol), said once that angels are destroyers to those who are not of God's people but are "helpers" to those who are of God's people.

I'm reading that passage and verse and I'm interpreting it as describing the job of angels. They are sent to minister/serve believers but it doesn't say they stay with us always. What I am thinking is a verse that (I think) Paul says treat everyone well because you never know when you might be dealing with an angel. To me, that verse indicates that there is a possibility that angels do not follow every one of us around (i.e., no guardian angel :( ). Anyone know where that verse is? I can't find it...

M

miktre

This is describing Heavens mobility, Eden if you will. Remember the cherubims that guarded the garden? This is them, Ezekiel was having a vision of Heaven in the sky. This will be the New Jerusalem in revelations.