Our Lord showed us the ultimate manifestation of love by sacrificing himself. Can this give us a hint about real love towards a lifetime partner?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 14, 2021
1 Corinthians 6:20
20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Many times we act as if the love of our couple belonged to us, when she/he has already been bought at the highest price, so her love has already only one rightful owner. This meets its practical expression in the fact that our loved one needs her time with her true love, to receive what we could never give to her, real love and peace, the filling of the Holy Spirit. In a way, sometimes we must sacrifice the time we could have with our couple by giving her proper space to build a strong relationship with the Lord, which is attained only with intimacy and time.

Do you have other examples about sacrificing one's interests so Christ can have the first place in the heart of our loved one?

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:1-3)

Make Christ your all in all and humbly and obediently follow him.

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church," (Ephesians 5:25-33).

This doesn't make things easy, problems arise and need to resolved but this is to be done with (Eph 4:1-3) in mind.

Anyhow just a simple observation that may be helpful to us all married or single.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
1 Corinthians 6:20
20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Many times we act as if the love of our couple belonged to us, when she/he has already been bought at the highest price, so her love has already only one rightful owner. This meets its practical expression in the fact that our loved one needs her time with her true love, to receive what we could never give to her, real love and peace, the filling of the Holy Spirit. In a way, sometimes we must sacrifice the time we could have with our couple by giving her proper space to build a strong relationship with the Lord, which is attained only with intimacy and time.

Do you have other examples about sacrificing one's interests so Christ can have the first place in the heart of our loved one?
It seems you've taken scripture out of context. The scripture is used in reference to sexual immorality.
"18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

I Corinthians 7
The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command.

And further down in the chapter Paul explains how marriage will be, by its very nature, a hindrance to a fully devoted spiritual life.

Mark 10
‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8 and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Marriage is a commitment between two people sanctioned by God. The somewhat disparaging tone that attempts to weaken how God makes two one flesh by using out of context scripture is one I would reconsider.

Sep 2, 2018
California
I am an older believer, almost 50 years, and this has been a constant study of mine. Our English word love truly does not define all aspects of love. In the Bible, there is described four types of love. Eros - romantic love, Storge - love of family, Philia - brotherly love, and Agape - sacrificial love displayed by Jesus. Non-christians (distinguishing those who do not believe Jesus died for their sins . . .) display Eros, Storge and Philip in a variety of ways. Eros is warped all over the media. Storge can be almost an obsession for the mob or religious cults. Philia is protested in the streets.

But Agape is none of these but uniquely the full manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ. Only the believer has the power (Holy Spirit) to display this love. So the scriptures quote
1 John 2:6. Whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
Galatians 2:20. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me (Holy Spirit). And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me (sacrificial love).
Romans 12:1-2. I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
1 Corinthians 11:1. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. (Paul, the apostle wrote this)
2 Corinthians 3:18
Romans 8:28-29
Ephesians 2:10
Romans 12:2
Philippians 1:6
John 3:30
2 Corinthians 5:17
Philippians 2:5
Ephesians 5:1-2
Ephesians 4:22-24
John 15:12
Galatians 5:22-23
1 John 3:2
Colossians 3:1-25
1 John 3:16

And the list goes on ...

No believer, not one, is able to fully love as Jesus does. We were born of sin nature and we fall short of the glory of God hourly in our minds. To obtain a full understanding of this Agape love, we must study all the scriptures about Jesus and His interpersonal interactions with each and every individual He encountered. In my study, I have determined that I will not ever be able to continually display Agape love. As long as I have worldly possessions and/or the need to be in close contact with unbelievers, I will always fall short of the glory of God. But, as I strive to transform my mind to His likeness, I have these wonderful moments where I sacrificed all without complaint to meet the needs of another person. This is especially wonderful if the other person who is actively attempting to harm me and I allow it by exercising the fruits of the spirit, Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Holy Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (suffering). Against such things there is no law.
Agape love is selfless, sacrificial, unconditional love. I like to add “Regardless of the individual.” When a believer makes the choice to fully sacrifice for another person regardless of that persons attitude, personality, beliefs and just be there for them through thick and thin speaking only what helps them, then this is true Agape love. This person may reject us as so many rejected Jesus. I like to refer to those who truly want to love like Jesus - safe people.

May 14, 2021
20 you were bought at a price.
The price that Jesus paid for our lives not only compels us to flee from sexual inmorality, but to give all of our love only to Him. I believe that when the apostle appealed to the fact that "we were bought at a price" , he was denoting that such price was so high that we should gladly undergo any sacrifice, and then used this truth to call the believers to flee from sexual immorality in particular. Our Lord may bless you.

May 14, 2021
No believer, not one, is able to fully love as Jesus does.
Amen, our Lord Jesus is God, so we, as mere creations of Him, are only able to display the attribute of love to the extent of our limited nature. We are "vessels" of love (small ones and with many fissures), but He is love.

Sep 2, 2018
California
Actually, we have the full power through the Holy Spirit by faith to truly love like Jesus. Our sin nature is overcome when we draw on this power. The problem is usually how we view the other people or person. This trips us up and we have difficulty drawing on the power of the Holy Spirit to love fully like Christ. If we see all people through the Holy Spirit as fearfully and wonderfully made by our creator, we see what Christ sees. We are often deceived by the evil one into judgement. We often do not even realize we are judging. And if we do realize it, we often justify this judgement based on human perception. So to love with Agape love, we must see others like Christ sees them and died for them. We must look past any obstacle that may lure us into judgement. The persons attitude, looks, behaviors, etc. Christ made that precious person in His likeness and image. To love like Christ is to draw on the Holy Spirit to see what Christ sees. A person beautifully made by Him. A unique creation worthy of love no matter what.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Actually, we have the full power through the Holy Spirit by faith to truly love like Jesus. Our sin nature is overcome when we draw on this power. The problem is usually how we view the other people or person. This trips us up and we have difficulty drawing on the power of the Holy Spirit to love fully like Christ. If we see all people through the Holy Spirit as fearfully and wonderfully made by our creator, we see what Christ sees. We are often deceived by the evil one into judgement. We often do not even realize we are judging. And if we do realize it, we often justify this judgement based on human perception. So to love with Agape love, we must see others like Christ sees them and died for them. We must look past any obstacle that may lure us into judgement. The persons attitude, looks, behaviors, etc. Christ made that precious person in His likeness and image. To love like Christ is to draw on the Holy Spirit to see what Christ sees. A person beautifully made by Him. A unique creation worthy of love no matter what.

Very true, it's the Holy Spirit who empowers us to love, Love is a fruit of the Spirit.

--
And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us (romans 5:5)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres (1 Corinthians 13:4).

It's interesting you mention judging others, I am sure it is something we all do and, sometimes without even realizing it. Although it is ugly all the same (a note to myself!). It could be we still struggle with self centeredness and pride. It's only renewing our minds daily with the Holy Spirit producing the fruit of Christ likeness in our hearts and minds will be able to love unconditionally (Agape).

As Paul states -''Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2).

And I'll reuse this scripture from my post above (no2).

...... I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:1-3)

I enjoyed reading your post above(y)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sometmes I think if you truly love someone, you WOULDNT marry them and allow them to be free. so they could keep their body and spirit holy.

see 1 Corinthians 7:38

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
sometmes I think if you truly love someone, you WOULDNT marry them and allow them to be free. so they could keep their body and spirit holy.

see 1 Corinthians 7:38

Married Christians are Holy. As are Singles?

Sep 2, 2018
California
1 Corinthians 7: 1-6. Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment.

The Lord through our blessed brother, Paul the apostle, defined why to marry. There is no mention of love. God’s love, Agape love, is demonstrated by our Lord and Savior in so many passages in the Bible. We are so blessed to be able to read of His individual encounters as He lives and displays Agape love. This is the love we desire and in the believer, it is validated by our belief that Jesus Christ died for our sins, we are powerless to atone for our own sins so we repent and accept His loving gift of Salvation. What did Jesus do to pay the price for our sins? He gave all and loved us in spite of our sins. He gave His very life and conquered the evil one on our behalf.

So, if we desire to have an intimate relationship with the opposite sex, our union is a blessed one if we truly strive to please our Lord and Savior and love the person with Agape love. There is no greater love.

So what does this mean? No two people are maturing in Christ at the same pace. No two people are drawing in faith on the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus’ spirit living inside us after we accepted His salvation to help us navigate this fallen world. Agape love looks beyond the worldly flaws. Agape love stands by your side when the world is rejecting you and this person may even have to carry you if needed. Agape love sees you as God sees you, fearfully and wonderfully made.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
The price that Jesus paid for our lives not only compels us to flee from sexual inmorality, but to give all of our love only to Him. I believe that when the apostle appealed to the fact that "we were bought at a price" , he was denoting that such price was so high that we should gladly undergo any sacrifice, and then used this truth to call the believers to flee from sexual immorality in particular. Our Lord may bless you.
All you did was isolate one thing and ignore the rest... again.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
isnt your lifetime partner God?
He is eternal so its not only in this life but the next.
Because God doesnt die. He will never let us down. He loved us so much He gave His only son to die for our sin then rose again. Who else does this?

Just my thought. I dont know why so many singles on here seem so obessesed with marriage to the point they cant seem to think of anything else....

And Paul was right, God didnt actually command anyone to marry anybody. When jesus said to love one another, He meant actually love them, not marry them.

May 14, 2021
Just my thought. I dont know why so many singles on here seem so obessesed with marriage to the point they cant seem to think of anything else....
I think many believers in Christ, including me, have a strong battle against giving too much attention at finding a romantic partner.
Since our Lord called us to the renewal of our minds, I believe it's good being careful about how this world feeds our minds, the things we accept as just normal but can distort our vision of a healthy relationship.
This was the reason of a post I created in the Christian Young Adults Forum, titled: "love songs, human reciprocal adoration?" This may seem exaggerated, but when people are facing loneliness our feelings and minds can be easily influenced and directed in the wrong way, so the content of the music we hear could lead us even into depressive and misleading thoughts, making us focus too much in finding a partner, believing that when we find that person our life will get a dramatic turn for the better. Even though, we christians have the truth in our side. We know that the only one who can give significative changes to our lives is our Lord Jesus Christ. Our Lord may bless you all in all of your battles, and give you the final victory at His coming.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i think a lot of 'love songs' and I was exposed to soooo many when growing up, were sold on the basis of young teens finding partners because after the war, when half the population was dead, there was a big baby boom and the songs of the 50s onwards reflected that. It was also MUCH easier to marry and set up house.

this carried over and even now, popular music is basically a teen market, but its more about the diffuclties people face in relationships now.
With music going digital I do think less people are buying it though, though its pervasive because most of commerical radio is song after song (not talk, or dramas, or anything) and most shops and workplaces just pipe in music the entire time.

so if people get used to hearing that EVERY second, it becomes part of their life.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I mean before recorded music, if you wanted to be romantic you serenaded the lady yourself if you wanted to let her know you liked her (or gave her flowers) but today, people just dont do that anymore.

I dont know about other peoples playlists or music collections but I basically stopped buying music years ago. For some people its still a habit and you see peoole walking round with earbuds in their ears. They aint listening to you or anyone. They got a voice in their heads already.