Parable of the sower.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sirk

Banned
Mar 2, 2016
I don't know about anyone else but I always took this parable in regards the seeds of the gospel planted on my own heart. And while it certainly is, it occurred to me that it's about the seeds we scatter in those we come into contact with. As physical instruments of God and His will, if we aren't putting the plow to the ground in the soil of someones heart but are only throwing the seeds of God's word at someone there is a good chance the birds will eat them or the wind will blow them away.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Astute observation, sir Sirk :)

T

thepsalmist

You make a good point, sirk ... indeed we should always strive to share the good news with love.

Matt 5:16 "let your light so shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven"

Our behavior will always reflect on He who we serve. Bearing openly the fruits of the Spirit benefits us and others.

That said .. we can be the epitome of love when sowing the seed of the word... and yet have it not fruit.

Consider Jesus .... He sowed many a seed ... and they were not all received in the same manner.

The pharisees who wanted Him crucified did not fruit as the apostles did - even given the same seed in the same manner.

This is because the parable tells us that the fate of the seed (word) DEPENDS on the soil that receives it.

The soil that receives the seed is the heart ... and the different conditions of the soil are the different conditions of the heart.

When our heart is closed, hardened, unreceptive - it is by the wayside.
When the heart is loving, open, willing to receive - it is GOOD soil.

The soil in the parable does not necessarily define a certain person - but the state each of us can find ourselves in in any given circumstance.

Let us love with open hearts - willing to be taught - willing to receive and we shall understand the word and bear much fruit.

Sirk

Banned
Mar 2, 2016
I think the point I was trying to make is that a good gardener prepares the soil and fertilizes it before he sows the seeds.

T

thepsalmist

I think the point I was trying to make is that a good gardener prepares the soil and fertilizes it before he sows the seeds.
I definitely see no harm in trying :)

Sirk

Banned
Mar 2, 2016
Can a person who's intentions are good with regards to speaking the truthings of Scripture unwittingly harden a person's heart? Are they responsible for it?

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Usually the gardener is the owner of the land. So the gardener also selects the seed he purchases and plants.

C

Chuckt

I don't know about anyone else but I always took this parable in regards the seeds of the gospel planted on my own heart. And while it certainly is, it occurred to me that it's about the seeds we scatter in those we come into contact with. As physical instruments of God and His will, if we aren't putting the plow to the ground in the soil of someones heart but are only throwing the seeds of God's word at someone there is a good chance the birds will eat them or the wind will blow them away.
Other people sow the seeds too my friend. Other people are skilful at getting the seed in there.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
guess sirk skirted?

B

BeyondET

Can a person who's intentions are good with regards to speaking the truthings of Scripture unwittingly harden a person's heart? Are they responsible for it?
Na if your intentions are from being lead by the spirit, surely some will harden up but it's not the givers responsibility can't force a person to receive it, its the receivers responsibility. Can't speak on deaf ears say it then wipe the feet of it.

Feb 7, 2015
I certainly believe we will be asked WHY we just "preached at them", and didn't take any time to befriend them and work with them.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Other people sow the seeds too my friend. Other people are skilful at getting the seed in there.
But there is a distinction between fellowshipping and sowing. Like written, we can receive nothing except it be from heaven and the sower is sowing to receive what he was given from heaven. So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

B

BeyondET

Sowing seeds in hearts that are at least open too it a mustard seed is all it takes. some though are scared too don't want to get involved out fear or just plain disbelief or other beliefs. I've known a person for 20yrs+ This person will probably never except there being a creator (God) I don't push to talk spiritual things all the time every blue moon or so but every now in then I will only cause I will cause I do and he knows this and excepts me as a friend and I except them as a friend no matter what but what can one do but try the best you can.

gzusfrk

Aug 4, 2013
A good explaination of the New Covenant, Paul Writes about in Hebrews (twice) 8:7, 10:16, about putting His law in our hearts and minds.

DP

Banned
Sep 27, 2015
It's actually about our Lord Jesus showing us HOW... different peoples HEAR and UNDERSTAND The Word of God, and the RESULT. Only 1 out of the 4 ways did The Word of God take (or germinate if you prefer).

"wayside" = hard compacted path, well trodden and beaten down = Satan and his as the fowls eating it up.

"upon a rock" = soil with stones in it = temptations by Satan and lack of patience remove The Word.

"among thorns" = thorns choking it out = Satan and his as the 'thorns' with the ways of this world and this life.

"on good ground" = ploughed and prepared soil = honest seeker of The Truth = God's Word in them produces much fruit.

Luke 8:5-15
5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.
6 And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.
7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.
8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
KJV

G

ggs7

So is showing Christ-like love to a person, one way we can prepare a soil and fertilize it ???