partial blindness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

ggs7

In Romans 11:25 It says "For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."

What is Paul talking about blindness in part? What's the other part or reason that I'm missing?

Sep 4, 2012
It means most of Israel will be blinded until Christ returns. Only a remnant would/will be saved. Of course that's always been the case because only a remnant is ever saved.

P

pottersclay

41 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, 42 saying, “If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.43 For days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side, 44 and level you, and your children within you, to the ground; and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not know the time of your visitation.”

D

Depleted

In Romans 11:25 It says "For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."

What is Paul talking about blindness in part? What's the other part or reason that I'm missing?
When in doubt over wording, even after taking it in context, I scurry off to other bible versions.

Here's ESV's --
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel,until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
27 “and this will be my covenant with them
when I take away their sins.”

Feb 9, 2010
The Bible says that Israel has 70 weeks,or 490 years,to get in the truth,and recognize Jesus as their Messiah.69 weeks have passed,with one more week,or 7 years,to go,which has not happened yet,because Israel as a nation has not recognized Jesus as their Messiah.

That is Israel is blinded in part,because Israel as a nation does not recognize Jesus as their Messiah.

The disciples asked Jesus when the kingdom would be restored to them,which He said do not worry about it,for the Father will do it in due time,but go preach the Gospel,which in the millennial reign of Christ is when the kingdom will be restored to them.

Israel is blinded in part in that they do not recognize Jesus as their Messiah,until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in,which is when they take the mark of the beast,which then repentance is no longer available to them,and God will only work with Israel at that time.

That is the purpose of the 7 years period,to bring Israel to the truth,fulfilling the 70th week,and causing all people that do not love God to follow the beast kingdom.

Sep 4, 2012
The Bible says that Israel has 70 weeks,or 490 years,to get in the truth,and recognize Jesus as their Messiah.69 weeks have passed,with one more week,or 7 years,to go,which has not happened yet,because Israel as a nation has not recognized Jesus as their Messiah.
Sure the 70th week happened. The remnant of Israel received her messiah and the rest were cut off. Messiah confirmed the covenant with Israel for 3-1/2 years and was cut off, just at Daniel predicted; and then his body (the apostles) confirmed the covenant with Israel for another 3-1/2 years, fulfilling the 70th week. Once GOD's promise to Israel was fulfilled, the gospel was sent to the nations (Acts 10).

Nov 23, 2013

They reject the new testament.... there right eye is blind.

gzusfrk

Aug 4, 2013

Whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their heart. 2 Corinthians 3:15. They reject the New Testament.

Dec 19, 2009

Just looking at this verse out of context, it makes me wonder if Paul is saying that God is preventing the Jews from seeing that Jesus Christ is the Messiah.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
this goes back to Isaiah 6 (starting at verse 8) --

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” And he said, “Go, and say to this people:“
‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’
Make the heart of this people dull,
and their ears heavy,
and blind their eyes;
lest they see with their eyes,
and hear with their ears,
and understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed.”
Then I said, “How long, O Lord?”
And he said:
“Until cities lie waste
without inhabitant,
and houses without people,
and the land is a desolate waste,
and the LORD removes people far away,
and the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.
And though a tenth remain in it,
it will be burned again,
like a terebinth or an oak,
whose stump remains
when it is felled.”
The holy seed is its stump.

it is "partial" because a remnant received Him, and because Israel is not completely forsaken, but will have the veil lifted and recognize their Savior, when His feet stand once again on the Mount of Olives - and they will weep, finally understanding how that He came to them once before, but they did not know Him.
and it is "partial" because they are not completely without understanding - they know that Messiah is promised, and know that they need Him -- they simply do not see that He is, and is for them.

.. and not to forget that it is for our sake that He did this -- so that we might be brought in and receive His grace -- so be ever grateful! and full of joy, that the Lord in this way showed us mercy, so through us Israel might also see and receive mercy :)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

how do you figure that exactly 483 years have passed (you said 490 years, with 7 left to go), when it's now been ~ 2,016 years since Christ was born?

usually i try to stay away from this kind of end-times fulfillment talk, because i realize that i'm ignorant and will just wind up with foot-in-mouth disease --- but i'm not following your math here... :confused:

DP

Banned
Sep 27, 2015

Rom 11:13-15
13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
KJV

Paul is speaking of the Jews, his brethren of the flesh. Paul was born of the tribe of Benjamin, which became part of the "house of Judah" made up of 3 tribes per Bible history that returned to Jerusalem from their 70 years Babylon captivity. They were the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and Levi, and some small remnants out of the ten tribes that joined with them (see 1 Kings 11 thru 2 Kings 17). The "house of Judah" became known as Jews. The majority of the rest of Israel were the ten-tribed "house of Israel" which was scattered out of the land to the nations and were excluded.

That's what the "blindness in part" is about, because today the majority of the Jews still reject Jesus Christ as Messiah.

And per Bible prophecy, it is my firm belief that the majority of the ten tribes of the "house of Israel" have... believed on Jesus Christ. This is one of things our Lord Jesus meant when He said, "... I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." (Matt.15:24)