Paul said the married cannot please God...let’s discuss why.....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
And the cycle goes on...children of the children of the children..
all say the same thing...regardless of whatever religion....the deed and mindset is the same
Jesus said we must learn from Him and follow....
Jesus walked a solitary path...showing us the way to the Father
the true path the only path
free to find God without the heavy burden society places on people with all their silly rules
its like climbing a steep mountain with huge rocks on your back...you won’t make it. To the summit

you have to leave the rocks behind
and flee from the monsters who put it there
then the Lord will teach you how to fight the great dragon
that hinders your path
and you will reach the top.
to see the Father
Do you think that God was mistaken to say, “It is not good for
the man to be alone. I will make for him a suitable helper.”
??

L

Live4Him

all say the same thing...regardless of whatever religion....the deed and mindset is the same
free to find God without the heavy burden society places on people with all their silly rules
its like climbing a steep mountain with huge rocks on your back...you won’t make it. To the summit

that hinders your path
to see the Father
Yea (said sarcastically).

Jesus doesn't want anybody to be married.

Which means that people would have stopped being born about two thousand years ago, except for those who were born of fornication.

Seriously, had you been alive in the days of the Jesus, then you might have literally wound up "with huge rocks on your back" after being stoned to death for teaching such NONSENSE.

Just repent.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well adam and eve could have had eternal life with just the two of them forever and ever.
But they didnt, even with only two people on earth it STILL got messed up lol

God didnt separate them. They made their bed and both of them had to lie in it.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
I think you need to learn to read your Bible in context. That parable Luke 14:16-24 really has nothing to do with whether people should marry or not. It was about making last minute excuses and putting other legitimate things ahead of God's invitation when it's time to act and if you do then others will be invited to take your place.

There is simply too much about marriage in a positive light in the scripture to make the case that it is a lesser or sinful way of life for a Christian. Christians have the option to marry, and if they do they are to do it well and honor God in that relationship and that's completely possible.

The closest we ever get to Jesus implying that singleness might be better is Matt 19:10-12 and even there it's the disciples who conclude that it's better not marry and Jesus tells them not everyone can accept that.

So if you want to stay single and devote yourself to serving God, it's definitely within the options for faithful Christian living. But nowhere in the Bible is it commanded of everyone or really even stated that it's an overall better or more faithful way of life. And you don't serve God by trying to put commands on people that God doesn't put.
Amen!

Some are suited to marriage and family or even just marriage. Others are suited to singleness.

Both are fine. God has a different plan for each of us

Nov 26, 2012
the Bible doesnt forbid anyone to marry either. I think its pretty open ended on both sides what you choose to do. But it does warn people about the cost of marrying, particularly for women and does say that women are happier single.

yes it actually says this. Look up in letter to Corinthians if you dont believe me. lol
I don’t need to look it up. I believe you. Without a husband to blame for her unhappiness, I feel she will have no choice but be happy.

I think everyone falls victim to their own expectations. No expectations, no disappointments.

Nov 26, 2012
Do you think that God was mistaken to say, “It is not good for
the man to be alone. I will make for him a suitable helper.”
??

I think it isn’t good for man to be alone. I do think relationships need to be mutually beneficial.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

that hinders your path
to see the Father
To quote Worf:

"I am not sure you know what you are talking about.
I AM sure I do not know what you are talking about."

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
To quote Worf:

"I am not sure you know what you are talking about.
I AM sure I do not know what you are talking about."
That's the thing about love. No one really understands it, do they? - Garak

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
The married cannot please God?

Dang. I guess hubby and I should stop participating in the music team at the local fellowship.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Paul actually said that the single person is concerned with how to please the Lord, but the married person is concerned with things of the world and how to please their spouse. 1 Cor 7:32-35 So marriage necessarily takes part of the focus that you could undividedly devote to the Lord while you were single (how many do / did is another question entirely), but that's a far cry from saying a married person cannot please God.
People need to see the full picture. Someone like Paul, who traveled a great deal ad was greatly persecuted, was better off single. If every Christian stayed unmarried, only the unbelieving would raise families, making evangelism much more difficult. Many of the most influential workers in God's kingdom were, and are married.

This is another example of a doctrine taken out of context. verse 26 explains Paul's reasoning - "Because of the present crisis......" It is not a blanket disapproval of marriage.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
People need to see the full picture. Someone like Paul, who traveled a great deal ad was greatly persecuted, was better off single. If every Christian stayed unmarried, only the unbelieving would raise families, making evangelism much more difficult. Many of the most influential workers in God's kingdom were, and are married.

This is another example of a doctrine taken out of context. verse 26 explains Paul's reasoning - "Because of the present crisis......" It is not a blanket disapproval of marriage.
I cant actually recall many married missionaries, many of them I recall were killed and their spouse left widowed because they were living in volatile circumstances.

The ones who made a greater impact were single. They didnt need a whole expat community catering for them and then a separate school to raise their children which requires more teachers just for their children.

often the evangelist would do the evangelising and their spouse would actually not be doing it as well, theyd just be at home, often taking resources AWAY from the host country or region.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
interesting thing is reading about early christian missionaries to nz. William Colenso was one who probably should not have married, and put his wife in a difficult situation. Plus he had affairs as well.

?!
was talking to a maori teacher aide and she was a bit horrified to learn some of her family were related to Colenso.

Sep 2, 2018
California
I want you to be free from concern. The unmarried man is concerned about the work of the Lord, how he can please the Lord. But the married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife, and his interests are divided.

Hi Naomi,

Paul is not saying that married people cannot please God. He is referring to those who are single and therefore are freer to do more work for the Kingdom. If you are married you have another person to consider in all that you do. Single people have more freedom to do more things..

The single man has only to worry about himself, the married man has his wife and himself to worry about (and probably kids). Marriage is good and so is singleness. That's the gist of Paul's point.
AMEN

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You apparently missed my intended point:

That married men were elders/bishops.

Paul wouldn't have condoned/allowed the same if the OP's ridiculous assertion was true.
it wasnt just that they were married. Lots of people can be married, but that they know how to rule their household well.

as we know, lots of married people cannot even do this and fail. it isnt necessarily that being married gives you somehow a special ability to handle a family.

L

Live4Him

it wasnt just that they were married. Lots of people can be married, but that they know how to rule their household well.

as we know, lots of married people cannot even do this and fail. it isnt necessarily that being married gives you somehow a special ability to handle a family.
I agree, but, again, I was simply seeking to point out that married people were in ministry positions. Paul wouldn't have allowed the same if he truly believed that "the married cannot please God" as the OP ridiculously suggested. Now, can we please stop arguing before somebody thinks that we're married...lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I agree, but, again, I was simply seeking to point out that married people were in ministry positions. Paul wouldn't have allowed the same if he truly believed that "the married cannot please God" as the OP ridiculously suggested. Now, can we please stop arguing before somebody thinks that we're married...lol.
lol well I thought it was conversation starter nothing more nothing less.
a lot of married people cant please God because look at all the stuff they had to do. Paul had a huge long list. I mean seriously, what married people can say they rule their own house well.

Lets look at the list
1) blameless
2) vigilant
3) sober
4) good behaviour
5) given to hospitality (open house everyone!)
6) apt to teach (so..homeschooler?)
7) not given to wine (? sober is already on the list?!)
8) no striker (how many christian parents spank their children and insist they have a right to hit them?! )
9) not greedy of filthy lucre (how many married people dont want a bigger house and bigger everything)
10) not covetous (have you seen all the stuff they buy for their houses?! )
11) one that rules his house well and children in subject with all gravity (i.e no rebellious teenagers right? no tantrum toddlers and no whiners!)
12) not a novice (how many YOUNG pastors get to their office straight out of bible college with zero life experience?!)
13) he must have a good report from outsiders (eg from people who arent family memebers or even belong to the same church)

now how many married men fulfil all 13 of those. Not just that they are married to one wife lol.