Peeling Back the Onion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

I'll just start by saying feeling like this sucks! Pardon the lack of propriety, but its certainly honest and much cleaner than what I could have said.
I process by writing. Some of you have read some of my posts, and you should know that simply writing is a form of therapy to me. Often times, its just the purging that makes things clearer.
Today, as I was preparing dinner for my boyfriend and I, I began feeling very down. As I pondered what it was , I remembered our New Year's Eve service. At that service the pastor spoke about building an alter to remember what The Lord had done. At the end of the service, he invited us to take a stone and ask The Lord for a word for the year. I was really hoping for something pretty and uplifting... peace, joy, or other gushy things. I'm never that lucky. Mine was "mourn". Lucky me.
I felt mournful and wondered what I was mourning. Right away came the image of my father. For lack of space or mental and emotional capacity, I'll just give you the understatement of the year: he was not a good dad. I've felt this way before, but I always struggle with giving myself the freedom to mourn. He was not the kind of man a sane person would want to associate with when he was alive, so why in the world would I feel the need to remember him a year after he died?
So I began writing a letter to him. I've written two letters before and for disowned in response to both of them. Consequently, writing this one was a bit awkward. Most of my letters began with a declaration of hate or disgust. What can I say? In all honesty, I wasn't allowed to be angry as a child. This one was different. It began with the confusion of feeling negatively affected by his death. It continued with the admittance that I would have rather been an orphan than have him as a father.
But the pinnacle, the devastating revelation, came in paragraph 4. Sometimes my emotions fly through the tip of a pen before I can recognize them, and words I'd never imagined being brought into the open, were scribbled down. "Yet I still feel strangely guilty for not being smarter than I was, for not protecting YOU from hurting me out of ignorance (feigned, of course). So I guess your stupidity was my fault. I still feel like I hurt you for allowing you to hurt me."
I've been pondering roots of shame recently and these words came as a slap in the face to me. Notice feel... feel...feel. I am not saying these things are true, simply that they feel true to me even if I know they're not.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Jordache, it may be you need to morn the father you should have had, rather than the one who was not.
Huge hugs, praying for you in Jesus's name always. :)

God bless
pickles

Sep 8, 2012
Jordy, didn't you do this last year?
- Wasn't the word something like...... - - - - "Mourn"?
- - (I do believe it was).
- - - Funny how that can happen two years in a row.

Jun 18, 2013
[h=3]1 Peter 5:7[/h]King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

J

Jordache

Don't think I've done this two years in a row . The rock illustration was December 31, 2012. I may have posted something about mourning previously but not the same circumstance.

W

woka

Mourning can be a natural reaction to having lost something we never even had, hence the "feelings", hope this makes sense. We always compare ourselves to other's how we look, or how we talk and so it goes on. We tend to do this too when it comes to other people's parents, we wish that was our mom, we wish our dad would pick us up like that and cuddle, and once again so it goes on.

I have learnt to try and live in the realness of what it is today, I don;t have to tell you that we can't change the past, but when we live in that all the time, we miss the very present the Lord has given us. Living in the present is so very very difficult. It requires so much attention to detail in being everything we can be to everyone in that moment. That is all the Lord asks of us. I too can say that what we see on the outside when we are wishing that person was our mom or our dad, we are not living the reality of who they really are as parents to that child. He might be the abusive father behind doors, but the loving father in front of everyone. Nothing and I mean nothing is ever as it seems on the outside that is why Jesus looks directly as our heart.

My dad was an alcholic, abusive yes, emotionally on ocassion physically. I lived for year's wishing he was someone else, then I learnt to accept him for who he is, it took a lot to say the least. He still asked me one day why am I not his friend like I am my mom's, and my reply to him was, when I was little and needed a dad and a friend you were not available, I am now 40 year's old and have other friends.

Praying girl

J

Jordache

I do understand that mourning is normal and natural, but I feel myself pulling back from it realizing who my father was. I lived much of my life in denial and to mourn someone feels like I'm denying how evil he was. Yes, it is a feeling, but sometimes it feels like despite my greatest efforts to pass the feeling, I'm still stuck.

Sep 8, 2012
My mistake.
I'm sorry.
As for your step dad, that's so far in the past.
You are a new creation.
The old things are gone.
God does not remit sin to the victim.
Never has, never will.
You ARE a new creation.
Totally free.
Totally free.
Totally free from all the past.
Jesus made you free
"If the Son therefore shall make you free,you are free indeed." - John 8:36
You may never realize it, but you are.
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

- (Jordy, Jesus has given you grace because you were abused)
- - (Jesus still gives you grace because you were abused.)
- - - Don't worry about it! - You aren't peeling an onion; you are growing a tree!:)
- - - - Total Jesus. When His blood isn't worthy then you won't be.

C'mon!!!