Piracy and a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

fellowsheep

I know many here justifies piracy because of expensive music, movies, theatre and licences of software.
But let's look at for a moment if do we really need this stuffs?

By the way to those who doesn't know it, almost commercial media copyrights prohibited distribution to ohthers for
monetary or non-monetary gain. For example if you have a genuine, original copy
-for software you can only install it on limited number of devices,
-for music you cannot give the original CD to others to freely copy it.
-for movies broadcasting is to crowd, and distributing copies to others is prohibited,
Unless with permission from the owner or limited use allowed by laws
Example:http://distribution.hillsong.com/publishing/faq

These are also written on many covers of disk/manual and license agreement before installing a software

you can make duplicates as long you keep it to yourself just in case the original copy is corrupted, but not to give others a copy to be used.

You may see how rampant the practice of piracy is, many don't even know that what they are doing is wrong.

stealing is against the law, many will not agree it to be stealing, but still it is wrong, for example you are a software programmer and after you sell your software to a client, after the agreement,
he makes multiple copies of it and posted it on the internet to be downloaded free, obviously what he did is an offense, unless you intended your software to be free..

Our conscience tells us that covetousness/greediness is sin, that is wanting that is not ours in the expense of others. And no thief, covetous person will enter the kingdom of God.
Jesiusn came to save us from our sins not just to forgive us.

For free media look for creative commons licences, public domain, for software opensource, and freeware
I have a few list here:
Freewares - Joselito M.Mutuc

and for Christian media you can go to:
Free Christian Resource - Home

Last edited by a moderator:
J

ji

I know many here justifies piracy because of expensive music, movies, theatre and licences of software.
But let's look at for a moment if do we really need this stuffs?

sted it on the internet to be downloaded free, obviously what he did is an offense, unless you intended your software to be free..

Our conscience tells us that covetousness/greediness is sin, that is wanting that is not ours in the expense of others. And no thief, covetous person will enter the kingdom of God.
Jesiusn came to save us from our sins not just to forgive us.

For free media look for creative commons licences, public domain, for software opensource, and freeware
I have a few list here:
Freewares - Joselito M.Mutuc

and for Christian media you can go to:
Free Christian Resource - Home

you have some things mentioned here that made me think for awhile..

But here is what i found..
When corporations like microsoft can cheat and become big through cut throat business,no one should care..
Its not about eye for an eye..
But there is nothing moral/immoral there except we have to justify whether we are taking pirated stuff.
If you are pirating from another big pirate,what's the morality in it than to boycott it all...

So the real way out from this is stop using all this stuff than paying for them heavily which they don't deserve..
Major companies in software or anything stay on top not because they are sincere but they are crooks and do all the dirty things to stay on top.Its not fair business...

And i hope more and more good free stuff become available in future...
If someone finds snapping out from web world or craving for digital accessories not easy,
then you got yourself an addiction there...
And you're not alone..i was also there..
That person needs to get out of it..there is nothing good in it.
With Prayer and Meditation on Holy Scripture its possible to make God first in one's life(and snap out of that digital fantasy stuff)
Realize it late or early,this is the only remedy...

The present generation is addicted to digital world which is exactly the reason why people tend to go for pirated stuff as the original licensed version will be having bugs and heavy price.

Best option,more and more free ware stuff related...and stuff that are good...

And regarding Christian resources,there shouldn't be any licensing except for people using it to gain money,like judas.
God gives everything freely and we are supposed to help one another..
But since we live in a world where even God is privatized,things must get much more weird..

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Let me just mention one thing about copyright violation, and copyright infringement.

Do you know why courtrooms use those words, instead of the word "theft"?
Courts use those legal words instead of "theft", because legally IT'S NOT THEFT.

Theft is when you take something away from someone, and they no longer have it.
Copyright violation isn't theft... it is making a copy of something without permission.

It's still wrong, but theft and copyright violation are two completely different things.

We obviously shouldn't do anything illegal, but these are still two completely different things.

So if copyright violation is not legally theft, and courts and legal documents cannot even call it theft...
then why do the studios go on the news all the time and wrongly call it theft?

The reason the music and movie studios take the legal phrase "copyright violation"
and reword it in the media as "theft", is all for reasons of psychology, and for corrupt financial gain.

By rewording it as theft, and making it sound as bad as possible, they can get judges and courts to allow them to sue people for ridiculous amounts of money. Do you think a teenager with no job, who makes illegal copies of 10 songs, worth 99 cents each, should be fined $30,000? That is actually what the music studios do. That seems clearly unreasonable and corrupt to me.

Under federal law in the U.S., it's possible to be fined/sued between $750 and $150,000 for EACH SONG.
How could one copy, of one 99 cent song, EVER EVER EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE WORTH $100,000?
It's inconceivable.
It's obviously insane.
It's obviously insane and corrupt.
But that's the fallen world we live in.

So, DO NOT make illegal downloads.
: )
Follow the law.
If you don't violate the law, then you don't get sucked into this whole dark pit of endless greed and corruption.
Just don't be part of it.

The studios DO NOT love you.
: )

Last edited:

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Theres no excuse, no reason to justify illegal copies of any copyrighted material. In regards fo software, remember the A in EULA means Agreement. They're usually long and tedious but they are there so we are without excuse...this is coming from someone who once pirated all software movies and music.

A

Animus

PIRATE.jpg

AAAARRRRR!

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Please understand, I wasn't trying to justify copyright violation.
Wrong is wrong.
Simple enough.

My point was that because of the enormous corruption of the music and movie industries,
you could make the small error of illegally copying ONE SONG,
and they could sue you for enough to take your house, your car, and your kid's college fund.

I think as Christians we should not only hold ourselves to high standards, but we should also understand the fallen world we live in, and be very cautious as we travel through it.

They really have caught silly teenagers, who only copied 20-30 songs, and then sued them for A MILLION DOLLARS.

The world is SO messed up, we need to remind the young people to be EXTREMELY honest, and EXTREMELY wise.

Last edited:

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Please understand, I wasn't trying to justify copyright violation.
Wrong is wrong.
Simple enough.

My point was that because of the enormous corruption of the music and movie industries,
you could make the small error of illegally copying ONE SONG,
and they could sue you for enough to take your house, your car, and your kid's college fund.

I think as Christians we should not only hold ourselves to high standards, but we should also understand the fallen world we live in, and be very cautious as we travel through it.

They really have caught silly teenagers, who only copied 20-30 songs, and then sued them for A MILLION DOLLARS.

The world is SO messed up, we need to remind the young people to be EXTREMELY honest, and EXTREMELY wise.
Ey nah man, i wasn't directing my post at you, just speaking in general in the thread. I see what your saying, the penalty is absurd.

F

fellowsheep

Yes I am a former pirate, Rescued by God. We are all crooks before we got born again.
Jesus did not condemn Cesar for soliciting the Jews, but we he cleanse the temple from money changers and merchandisers... I also don't agree on making selfish gain in the name of Religion specially in the name of Christ. I am really posting here for filipinos because I see that this is rampant among professing Christians let alone those who are not, I don't know the condition in your locality, maybe there they can be sued but here(before I got thousands of them), but here it is just drinking like water....