Pleasures and desires in life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rgmichels

Sep 8, 2018
Texas
I am deeply exploring the depths of the Bible, however I am having some.......issues. I am finding myself diving on the worldly pleasures of today's age and I want to change that. The world's desires are of course sinful and I am tired of this habit.

Getting to the point, I am looking for better, healthier, Godly habits and desires to replace the old worldly habits. I want to get a few ideas I can do while I am unoccupied to keep my mind righteous and just and focused on Christ. Ideas?

I'd like to throw out there that I've started doing precept, but doing it on my own it very difficult and discouraging.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
I am deeply exploring the depths of the Bible, however I am having some.......issues. I am finding myself diving on the worldly pleasures of today's age and I want to change that. The world's desires are of course sinful and I am tired of this habit.

Getting to the point, I am looking for better, healthier, Godly habits and desires to replace the old worldly habits. I want to get a few ideas I can do while I am unoccupied to keep my mind righteous and just and focused on Christ. Ideas?

I'd like to throw out there that I've started doing precept, but doing it on my own it very difficult and discouraging.
As Paul Apostle said:

Romans 12:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
It’s good of you to reach out here, friend. You may try some practical steps by looking for things to do to keep your mind focused on good things. Maybe you could pursue an activity, sport, or hobby that you enjoy and that makes you feel good. Physical exercise has the added benefit of helping to relieve negative emotions naturally, too.

Also, it might be helpful to speak to a caring Christian counselor about your situation. I know that Focus on the Family can provide a free phone consultation with a licensed counselor if you call this number 855-382-5433.

Sending prayers your way… May God bless you and guide you.

Lilou_101

Oct 23, 2018
Hello
As we're all in this human nature,may I say that I can understand what you're going through, even if we don't face exactly the same kind of temptations. But here are few tips that really helped me throughout my journey of faith so far :
- turn away from all kinds of sources of temptation, I am sure you know them, dare to go far away from them; it might be some type of music with indecent lyrics, tv show, etc, or even some relationships sometimes, stay respectful but as much as you can, try to protect your environment (sorry for my english :D)
- pray, have a regular devotion time with your God, to pour out your heart before Him. He is the only one that can save you, rely on Him. Keep on seeking Him, even though you stumble sometimes, ask for forgiveness, then keep on walking. Remember, Jesus has already paid for your sins, this is truth. If you believe in the sacrifice of Jesus and that He saved you, God's given you the right to be his child, and you are his and you're on your way of sanctification. Believe that and let this truth penetrate your heart and your soul.
- find a trustworthy prayer partner, a brother in Christ, and be accountable for your actions. This person is the one with whom you can be real and honest; this person will be able to urge you and help you to remain on the right track.
- practice sports, a healthy mind in a healthy body :) exercise regularly
- help your brothers and sisters in Christ by providing services at Church, and other people in general, the idea here is to learn to move your attention from your physical and sinful desire to refocus on what's really important. You will see that God will smoothly change your heart to desire what He has for you, which are all good :)
- discipline yourself to dive into his Word, through bible study. It might be very simple but the aim is to really taste and see that his Word is life, truth and strenght for you. Yo can follow a bible study plan.

Hope this will help you and I pray for you.

Stay blessed
In Christ
L.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Hello
As we're all in this human nature,may I say that I can understand what you're going through, even if we don't face exactly the same kind of temptations. But here are few tips that really helped me throughout my journey of faith so far :
- turn away from all kinds of sources of temptation, I am sure you know them, dare to go far away from them; it might be some type of music with indecent lyrics, tv show, etc, or even some relationships sometimes, stay respectful but as much as you can, try to protect your environment (sorry for my english :D)
- pray, have a regular devotion time with your God, to pour out your heart before Him. He is the only one that can save you, rely on Him. Keep on seeking Him, even though you stumble sometimes, ask for forgiveness, then keep on walking. Remember, Jesus has already paid for your sins, this is truth. If you believe in the sacrifice of Jesus and that He saved you, God's given you the right to be his child, and you are his and you're on your way of sanctification. Believe that and let this truth penetrate your heart and your soul.
- find a trustworthy prayer partner, a brother in Christ, and be accountable for your actions. This person is the one with whom you can be real and honest; this person will be able to urge you and help you to remain on the right track.
- practice sports, a healthy mind in a healthy body :) exercise regularly
- help your brothers and sisters in Christ by providing services at Church, and other people in general, the idea here is to learn to move your attention from your physical and sinful desire to refocus on what's really important. You will see that God will smoothly change your heart to desire what He has for you, which are all good :)
- discipline yourself to dive into his Word, through bible study. It might be very simple but the aim is to really taste and see that his Word is life, truth and strenght for you. Yo can follow a bible study plan.

Hope this will help you and I pray for you.

Stay blessed
In Christ
L.
For a plan i recommend going through the old testament once and the new testament twice a year minimum. Then add another book like proverbs or the psalms just to add some wisdom on top of all that. If that's too easy you could even write a summary for each part you read and pray over it, I'm not there yet but maybe i could start!

Nov 22, 2018
As Paul Apostle said:

Romans 12:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

I want to tell you something with out referring you to a scripture. I received Christ at the age of 15 but yet my deeds were far from those o a christian. fornication which is having sex with no marriage was my thing, although i didn't have multiple partners, the fact is that I was not married to this guy. I did all I can did what God would expect me to do but I loved jewelry, make up, fashion and others I would pray only evening but not pray at all when I have fornicate because I was ashamed to talk to God I have a friend that doesn't date I would always ask myself how does she manage being on her own cause for me I would manage to be on my own without dating from t two to three years and start dating again, but one day I told myself God I am tired of being in the same place and doing the same thing please bring me to what you have called me to be. I started fasting and praying, reading the bible , I developed a relationship with God where I could not do anything without talking to him, and one day I just wake up and realized I lost interest in Dating. The following week I had a vision that change my whole life things that I loved so much I don't have interest in hem again. What I am trying to say is this, when you really want to give up on something and you honest about it and you ask God to uproot it from your life He will surely do it. Come to God as you are pray, ask him he always listen if you are willing to give it up. Change with force or obeying laws doesn't work you will break it one way or another but embracing law as it is Ur own will surely work.

Rgmichels

Sep 8, 2018
Texas
Thanks. I am currently making some changing and building healthier habits in my life. I do want change but as you've all said I have to be willing to let go of the past habits to build better ones. This gives me a start. Thanks

Nov 22, 2018
Thanks. I am currently making some changing and building healthier habits in my life. I do want change but as you've all said I have to be willing to let go of the past habits to build better ones. This gives me a start. Thanks
Its Good is never too late to change. Slowly but surely. God is great , his rich in heart and slow to anger he will surely see you through