pointless threads

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lil-rush

"There's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about."

Quite often I have noticed that people will post threads asking for opinions or advice on a subject, only to shut down any advice or opinions that do not match up with the answer they were looking for. If you looking for confirmation, you should state so in the beginning of your thread. Otherwise, don't post a thread under false pretenses only to make yourself a general nuisance when everyone discovers all you wanted was confirmation and not real advice/opinions.

If your mind is already made up on the subject, there is no point in asking for further opinions on the topic.

F

forgvn3as1

That is an awsome post :) I have just joined this site so I am not familiar yet with what people are posting,but that is true wisdom. I know that I have friends that will call me for advice and I will then give them the advise and they dont take it. It is pointless to me why they even called me in the first place if they are going to do what they want to do anyways. I hope that people do take your advice and not post a question that they are not open to recieve true wisdom about

grace

Sep 8, 2006
Lil-Rush...I have always said you are a girl beyond your years!

Excellant Post indeed!

I take the stance that if you are going to post and ask for advice....then truly WANT the advice. If 50 people respond and post there is no way you could possibly take, and act on the advice of ALL 50 people....but show grace and acceptance that people did as you asked, and now its your turn to take those things away with you and weight them in thought and prayer.
But to post, and then to *argue* with everyone that posts after you by not agreeing etc is posting *pointless threads*.

*high fives Lil-Rush!*

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
well said - and its about time, i was thinking of doing a thread like this for a while.
its because of threads like said that people are told they are "close minded" - "judgemental" and what not.
totally irritates me !!
rep point for you me thinks :) :L

God Bless :)

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Can you please provide some examples of these threads?

L

lil-rush

Can you please provide some examples of these threads?
Since I spend more time ruminating over things than I do posting about them, examples of such threads are probably at least 5 pages back or so. By that I mean I'm too lazy at the moment to look up such threads that prompted me to post this thread.

Good point, Grace. People aren't required to agree with all the advice given them, but they should be willing to listen to it at least. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

I really dislike when people start throwing around phrases like "judgmental" and "close-minded" just because you gave them advice they asked for.

R

RadioU

certian threads need a "like status" where you can mark them as something everybody should read.

Jul 8, 2010
You mean pointless threads like pointless threads about pointless threads?

I

iraasuup

HAHAHAHA! That is one of the funniest posts I've seen in ages.

The irony astounds me! Nice post! :)

L

lil-rush

If you consider it pointless to tell people to stop begging for advice they don't want, then sure.

Jul 8, 2010
If you consider it pointless to tell people to stop begging for advice they don't want, then sure.
Maybe they got crappy advice? Just because you ask for it, does not mean it will be the right advice for you.

L

lil-rush

Maybe they got crappy advice? Just because you ask for it, does not mean it will be the right advice for you.
There is a difference. People on CC tend to give good advice (well, the majority. There is always some who give iffy/bad advice). If you don't like the advice given you, that is one thing. I am talking about people who ask loaded questions, looking for a specific answer. In general, they are asking if something obviously wrong is permissible, and when people say it is not permissible, they act offended.

Hypothetical example:
"I know sex before marriage is wrong. I'm just wondering if maybe it is okay to have sex with my fiancee since we will be getting married soon anyways, so it is basically like I am having sex with my husband?"

"It's wrong."

"Stop being so judgmental!!! I want advice. I don't want you to judge me!"