Possible idol?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Please do not misinterpit this question, as I ask only because this has been on my thoughts for a while.
But is it possible to make an idol of the bible?

Now, this question is not asked to dispute or say in any way that the Bible is wrong, for the bible is the inspired word of God, and the scriptures given within, are trully God's love letter to us, His gift. :)
The scriptures are to serve us, bring faith, knowladge, understanding, truth, and we are to seek this knowladge and to set the word to be written upon our heart.
Always giving all glory to Him.

But there have been times when seeing how some speak to the bible, or use it, I have wondered if such have made an idol of the bible, the book itself?
An extreme example might be how those of the muslem belief, react if koran the were to be mistreated.

Can one make the bible more important than God?

So, Im asking I know a very difficult question and maby one that cannot really be answered, maby even should not be asked.
Because the Bible is the inspired word of God, nessasary in knowing God and what we are called to
But at the same time, can one make an idol of the bible?
I have always believed that the bible is given so as to point us all towards Jesus, God Our Father, the Holy Spirit.
But, some times it is easy to make an idol where one should'nt, simply because faith has been set aside for what can be held in ones hands and mind, thus embracing the idol, rather than what we are called to embrace in faith.
So, this question has been before me for a while.
Ever since a discussion about idols was posted.

So please forgive me if I have caused any offence by asking this question.
But also, I do believe we do need to consider this question.

And I trully hope Im not doing a wrong by asking this question.

in Jesus, God bless
pickles

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The Bible can most certainly be an idol. It is the Word of God, but it is not God, and when you relate to it as if it is God then you are idolizing it.

And there's no offense in your question. It's a good one, I know people who idolize the Bible but have no clue about God.

L

Laodicea

The Pharisees had a good knowledge of the scriptures, they studied the scriptures but, did not know the one who inspired the scriptures.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
The Bible can most certainly be an idol. It is the Word of God, but it is not God, and when you relate to it as if it is God then you are idolizing it.

And there's no offense in your question. It's a good one, I know people who idolize the Bible but have no clue about God.
Thankyou Ricky for your answer, I was a bit nervous to ask it, as such a question could be misunderstood.
The reason I have asked though is because when this question was first set before me, I saw how the bible could be idolised.
Rather ,than in faith, setting all by faith before God in Jesus's name for all understanding, some would rather rely on the interpitaions given by others, and looking only to the scriptures alone for validation, when the scriptures perpose is to bring us, by faith, in Jesus to God.
I will agree though, :) that all should be in agreement with scriputre. :)

God bless
pickles

God bless
pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
The Pharisees had a good knowledge of the scriptures, they studied the scriptures but, did not know the one who inspired the scriptures.
Thankyou. :)
So one must conclude that the scriptures alone can be an idol, one must also have faith in Jesus, God Our Father, His holy Spirit.

God bless
pickles

G

GreenNnice

There's a good reason why milady, pickled, has a rep power of 20, she encourages us all to provacatively think, and, just like doing ANYTHING that is not God's wanting, even being in church when you KNOW and FEEL His Spirit telling you that you need to be on the street preaching ! :) Remember, Jesus, He did all kinds of stuff on the Sabbath that WAS best case scenario of loving others , helping the poor, needy :)
Your music, too, again, ANYTHING that replaces Him, yes, even having your head in the GOOD Book when He has on your heart to be in church, too. God wants our obedience, not our sacrifice :)
Idoling something can make us THINK we are sacrificing when, in fact, that very thing is taking, GASP!, the place of God in our life :(
Excellent, Q, milady, the pickled one :)

K

Kefa52

This is an outstanding discussion. Let me reflect on what I think you are saying.

I could read the bible from cover to cover, memorize it and be so proud of the knowledge I have. All I have is knowledge about God but I don't apply it to my life to learn of God.

1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge,and if I have all faith so that I can move mountainsd,but do not have love, I am nothing.

Where a person is so intent on the words in the bible. They don't "HEAR" the words in the bible. They end up worshiping the words themselves without getting the message.

I would call that an Idol.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Thankyou all, you have helped me alot. :)

Im signing out now, up way past my bedtime.

God bless
pickles

S

Songbird_7

I think that's a great question and it sure makes sense when you consider how many false religions use the Bible to defend their beliefs because they do not have the Spirit of God to teach them and help them understand. If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say "The Bible says" to justify a false teaching I would be in a much bigger house. The early church did not have Bibles as we know them, and yet were able to serve God in ways I have so far only dreamed of. What about Christians who are deprived of having a Bible? Certainly we understand the worth of the Holy Scriptures, but without understanding by the Spirit, it can be misconstrued and used by cult leaders to deceive people. I think that it is very important to study the Bible, but I personally do not believe it's the only way for us to know God and have a relationship with Him. I think those who do view the Bible as an idol have probably fallen into legalism because they think that by memorizing the words they are more righteous than others and are somehow more spiritual, but again, what use is it to memorize words when you don't really understand the meaning? And if you don't actually apply them to your life?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
more important? not if taken properly, ie. I can't get enough of having Christ revealed to me from His Word and by His Spirit.

Dec 5, 2012
Indeed the pharisees that did not get it were all about scripture only.