Potato, Garlic & Celery top soup

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

emancipated

I just made this up today & I think it is really good..
Hope you guys enjoy!

Ingredients:
3Table spoons olive oil
3-4 Large Minced Garlic Cloves
3 tablespoons onion (Small Dice)
1/2 cup of diced celery tops
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cubes of chicken bullion (dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)or about 1 1/2 tablespoons of powdered chicken base & 1/2 cup of water
aprox 4 cups of diced potatoes (par-boiled)
4 cups of milk ( I used 2% but whole would be creamier, add a little half & half or cream to make it extra creamy)

Step one:
peel, dice & par boil potatoes. Don't over cook them since you are putting them into soup that needs to simmer for a while and you will liquefy them.
Step 2:
in a 4 quart or similar heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over med high heat. Add onions & garlic and let them just begin to brown ( about 7-10 min)
then add your chopped celery tops. ( I always like to use the tops in soups & stocks since people usually throw them out and they have wonderful flavor. I just trim the very top of my whole head of celery then wash it & trim off the amount of tops I want.
Sweat the celery for about 3 minutes. Be careful the your Garlic & onion don't burn at this stage..
Step 3:
You should have a small amount of liquid oil still in your veggies if it seems dry then add just a splash more olive oil & let it get hot then add the All purpose flour. mixing it in until all the veggies are coated.
Step 4:
add to the veggie mixture the chicken base & water, let that thicken for about a minute or so stirring often to keep it from burning.
Step 5:
As soon as the liquid is thick add your milk and let that get hot. I don't let it quite come to a boil before adding my potatoes.
Step 6:
reduce heat & simmer for about 15-20 minutes , stirring occasionally, then salt & pepper to taste.
I think it is important to let it simmer for a while because the celery & garlic release flavor as it cooks.

** if soup is too thick for your liking just add a little more milk or some cream for a very nice finish.

This makes about 4 servings.
Enjoy

Jan 8, 2009
I don't like celery what could you use instead, coriander?

E

emancipated

Actually I wanted to make Potato & leek soup when I came up with this.. Leeks are really awesome, but if you use them you should probably cut the garlic a little. And for soup I usually save the green tops, but they are tougher than the white part so make sure you slice them really thin plus they will take a few more minutes to sweat. :D

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
sounds yummy!
Thankyou and God bless, pickles

W

wwjd_kilden

oohohoohohohoohh! I am so gonna make this! :D