Prayer for unsure friend

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

oopsies

Hello, someone confided in me that a friend seems to be "falling away." I was meeting him today and I prayed and asked God to give me an opportunity to find out what was eating at his heart. I got the opportunity today and it seems as though he is at a middle point - not sure of one way or another. One of the questions he had seemed really important to him - where in the Bible did Jesus say he is God without any cryptic messages. I provided him with answers from the Bible but I do not know if those are ones he will accept. Can you guys & gals help pray for him that God will soften his heart and guide him in whatever decision he makes?

He also had another question: what makes one believe (other than "faith")? He wants to know why he should believe - not just for the common reasons that it doesn't cost anything but a prayer, I grew up in a Christian home, or God pulled me down from a comfortable place. He wants a non-faith answer to what I believe is a difficult question that every one of us has struggled with at some point in our lives. I don't know how to answer this one. If someone has some answers to share, that would be great.

Thanks!

D

dee133

Well, that's interesting. I grew up with people who said they were Chrisitans but didn't live it, and my experiences in church have not strengthened my faith but damaged it. This sent me on a journey of searching exactly what your friend is questioning. For me, it started with an astronomy class I took at college where I learned how awesome and infinite the universe is. In the Bible, David says, "The heavens declare the glory of God and the earth shows his handiwork." During this class, I was awe struck and understood this scripture. Another thing that helped me is when I was at my lowest spot in life, I weakly cried out to God (not in faith mind you, but hey, when you're desperate, you'll try anything), God always met me. He always answered in a way that picked me up. I have learned over the years that God gives us faith or else we cannot have faith. On the other hand, God can't prove Himself to us, either. If Jesus showed up by your friend's bedside tonight and spoke to him, your friend could find a way to explain it away. That is why "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." You can't convince him. It's for each one of us to work out our own salvation, but tell him to search and he will find, knock and it will be opened to him. Tell him, he's not unique. Everyones struggles. Paul in the Bible did, also. But when we doubt, we should run to God and He will show Himself to us. He will renew our faith, so that in the end we can say, "We have fought a good fight. We have finished the race." Don't try to prove God to him. That's God's job, and he won't fail. Just tell him to search it out. Tell him to seek the truth. He will find God there. I'll pray for him.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
His questions are tough because he sounds like he wants some one to give him faith. I can only say why I believe. Because I knew, deep in my self I knew that God is. I tried at one time to prove he didnt but when I saw the alternitive, No God at all. I saw that all that is was dead. I wasnt willing to live with out faith. Ask him to consider a world, a life without God, without Jesus. As is there never was. We all often figure we can believe anytime we want. But to be without any faith to consider. That is death. Hope this helps, he will be in my prayers along with you also.
God bless, pickles

O

oopsies

Yes, you're both right. I should focus on letting God do the healing instead of me trying to help him find verses. I will pray for my friend in this way instead. Thanks!