Praying in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
proph·e·cy
/ˈpräfəsē/
noun
noun: prophecy; plural noun: prophecies
  1. a prediction.
    "a bleak prophecy of war and ruin"
    synonyms prediction, forecast, prognostication, prognosis, divination, augury
    "her prophecy is coming true"
    • the faculty, function, or practice of prophesying.
      "the gift of prophecy"
      synonyms:divination, fortune-telling, crystal-gazing, prediction, second sight, prognostication, augury, soothsaying
      "the gift of prophecy"

prophesy

proph·e·sy
/ˈpräfəˌsī/
verb
verb: prophesy; 3rd person present: prophesies; past tense: prophesied; past participle: prophesied; gerund or present participle: prophesying
  1. say that (a specified thing) will happen in the future.
  2. prophesying a bumper harvest"
    synonyms
  3. edict, foretell, forecast, foresee, forewarn of, prognosticate
I see one as fortune telling and the other as speaking Gods word

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You know I will.....and I'll post it......and you will then go silent......as usual.
prophecy
noun
1A prediction of what will happen in the future.
‘a bleak prophecy of war and ruin’
1.1mass noun The faculty or practice of prophesying.
‘the gift of prophecy’
source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/prophecy

prophesy
verb
[with object]
Say that (a specified thing) will happen in the future.
‘Jacques was prophesying a bumper harvest’

[with clause] ‘the papers prophesied that he would resign after the weekend’
Usage
The words prophesy and prophecy are often confused. Prophesy is the spelling that should be used for the verb (he was prophesying a bumper harvest), whereas prophecy is the correct spelling for the noun (a bleak prophecy of war and ruin). The differentiation between the spellings of the noun and verb was not established until after 1700 and has no etymological basis, prophesy being at first a spelling variant of both the noun and the verb
source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/prophesy

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
proph·e·cy
/ˈpräfəsē/
noun
noun: prophecy; plural noun: prophecies
  1. a prediction.
    "a bleak prophecy of war and ruin"
    synonyms:prediction, forecast, prognostication, prognosis, divination, augury
    "her prophecy is coming true"
    • the faculty, function, or practice of prophesying.
      "the gift of prophecy"
      synonyms:divination, fortune-telling, crystal-gazing, prediction, second sight, prognostication, augury, soothsaying
      "the gift of prophecy"

prophesy

proph·e·sy
/ˈpräfəˌsī/
verb
verb: prophesy; 3rd person present: prophesies; past tense: prophesied; past participle: prophesied; gerund or present participle: prophesying
  1. say that (a specified thing) will happen in the future.
    "Jacques was prophesying a bumper harvest"
    synonyms:predict, foretell, forecast, foresee, forewarn of, prognosticate
    "did those mystical sages ever prophesy anything other than calamity?"
Origin
So... I don't see your definitions confirmed. I do see my "parts of speech" challenge confirmed.

By the way, I still don't see any citations; just definitions.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
So... I don't see your definitions confirmed. I do see my "parts of speech" challenge confirmed.

By the way, I still don't see any citations; just definitions.
citation - quick internet definition
think that covers your inquisition.....covers it for me anyway

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Prophesy -speaking forth the word of God (prophecy) .
both can have similar definitions, but fortune-telling is only defined in the spelling PROPHECY.
I have an OLD Webter's Collegiate dictionary I use.

Mar 28, 2016
Once again, basics first: Does Scripture call tongues a gift and a sign?

Once again tongues God bringing prophecy, the word of God, in all the languages of the world no longer in Hebrew alone was a sign against those who refused to hear the word of God, prophecy .

But rather did whatsoever their own mouths performed as oral traditions of men that make the word of God prophecy without effect.

God with stammering lips mocking those who mock Him who believe not prophecy .(God's word)

As for the word (Prophecy) that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee.
But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

And see no evil in doing so. The same sign remains today with those who those who believe God only brings His prophecy in the Hebrew.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Once again tongues God bringing prophecy, the word of God, in all the languages of the world no longer in Hebrew alone was a sign against those who refused to hear the word of God, prophecy .

But rather did whatsoever their own mouths performed as oral traditions of men that make the word of God prophecy without effect.

God with stammering lips mocking those who mock Him who believe not prophecy .(God's word)

As for the word (Prophecy) that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee.
But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.

And see no evil in doing so. The same sign remains today with those who those who believe God only brings His prophecy in the Hebrew.
Are you capable of answering the simple question with a "yes" or "no"?

Mar 28, 2016
both can have similar definitions, but fortune-telling is only defined in the spelling PROPHECY.
I think the word of God is its own dictionary. Dictionaries can be influenced by that which a person personally believes like a commentary . Prophecy is simply the word of God. It can speak of future events or past and also a living word work in the present.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I think the word of God is its own dictionary. Dictionaries can be influenced by that which a person personally believes like a commentary . Prophecy is simply the word of God. It can speak of future events or past and also a living word work in the present.
Yes, I can accept that definition. And I still like my Websters.
I don't see propitiation defined in the bible........do you?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Try quoting a real dictionary instead of a church Facebook page.

By the way, a citation is a quotation or paraphrase with a source reference included. Otherwise, its plagiarism.

Mar 28, 2016
Are you capable of answering the simple question with a "yes" or "no"?
"Yes" it calls tongues..... God bringing prophecy in all the languages of the world a gift, "no" not a sign . The sign confirm those who do not accept the gift of tongues( prophecy.)

In that way we can let his yes be yes and his no be no.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Yes" it calls tongues..... God bringing prophecy in all the languages of the world a gift, "no" not a sign . The sign confirm those who do not accept the gift of tongues( prophecy.)

In that way we can let his yes be yes and his no be no.
Oh my goodness. Wow.

Here is the question, for the third time:
Does Scripture call tongues a gift and a sign?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
This makes no sense at all. Prophesy is a verb. Prophecy is a noun. So someone prophesies a prophecy. You can't say one does not involve the other. :)

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
, John Chrysostom (AD 347-407):

‘This whole place is very obscure: but the obscurity is produced by our ignorance of the facts referred to and by their cessation, being such as then used to occur but now no longer take place. And why do they not happen now? Why look now, the cause too of the obscurity hath produced us again another question: namely, why did they then happen, and now do so no more?’ (Homilies on First Corinthians. Homily XXIX, 1

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Such confusion for those who haven't yet received.

Our personal tongues is our prayer language. The gift of tongues is a message to the church, which Paul said it's was the lesser gift. It takes more faith to prophesy in our native tongue, than our supernatural tongues. But, it's the same purpose.

A message from God to a fellowship, or to individuals.

And the gifts are for all.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Pentecost was a once for all time event….never again repeated. It is nonsense to preach a personal Pentecost or the reappearance of signs. The incidents in Acts which seem repetitious are actually special events to demonstrate that the wonder of Pentecost extends to ALL the church and not just to the Jews to whom Peter first preached by the power of the Spirit on Pentecost.

Acts 8: 5-24 Samaritans (half heathens…Jews by birth but not Jews by practice)

Acts 10: 44-48 Cornelius and his household (Roman Jew who may have been of mixed parentage as Paul was.)

Acts 19: 1-7 the disciples of John the Baptist who had not heard the gospel but had been baptized in the baptism of repentance, which was John’s baptism. (Jews who looked for Messiah’s imminent coming)

All the apostles were Jews