T
toinena
Guest
This is the time of parades. In Norway we had the Pride parade for the LGBT community, but we also had a pride parade for the disability community. When I worked in the Independent Living movement, I had to attend this parade. And it always felt wrong, some how.
So why did it feel wrong? It is not that I don't accept my disability or I am ashamed to be a part of the society the way I am. Far from it. I am active at work and in my spare time. And I am not ashamed of my glasses or my wheelchair. But can I have joy and celebrate my disability? No. I can't! I can be proud of what I achieve in Christ, for sure. I manage better than most, thanks to His strength and mercy.
I believe disabilities is a part of the fallen nature. It is not a part of God's plan in creation. It is an abnormality. And why should we celebrate that? Like why should we celebrate the gay community the same way? It is wrong. I have no problems fighting for the rights for people with physical or cognitive impairments, but I can't be proud of my "defect". I would rather see the glory of God through healing than to go out and say I am proud of being physical impaired.
To live with a disability or a chronical disease is difficult, and every one needs to find their own way of coping. I honor that. And we are all part of God's creation. But I am not proud of who I am in the flesh. I can't wait until the day the lame will leap like deer (Isaiah 35:6)
So why did it feel wrong? It is not that I don't accept my disability or I am ashamed to be a part of the society the way I am. Far from it. I am active at work and in my spare time. And I am not ashamed of my glasses or my wheelchair. But can I have joy and celebrate my disability? No. I can't! I can be proud of what I achieve in Christ, for sure. I manage better than most, thanks to His strength and mercy.
I believe disabilities is a part of the fallen nature. It is not a part of God's plan in creation. It is an abnormality. And why should we celebrate that? Like why should we celebrate the gay community the same way? It is wrong. I have no problems fighting for the rights for people with physical or cognitive impairments, but I can't be proud of my "defect". I would rather see the glory of God through healing than to go out and say I am proud of being physical impaired.
To live with a disability or a chronical disease is difficult, and every one needs to find their own way of coping. I honor that. And we are all part of God's creation. But I am not proud of who I am in the flesh. I can't wait until the day the lame will leap like deer (Isaiah 35:6)