Problem With Idolatry

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 26, 2018
Hello,
I am a teenager who has a serious love for a certain musical artist. However, recently I've learned that how I treat and see this musical artist could be considered idolatry. I hold God and Jesus above all else, without a doubt. Yet, from some research I've done online it seems as though I could still be sinning. I like to view my relationship with this artist as a deep love, rather than an obsession. They valued God and Jesus very much when they were alive, and always gave the credit of their talent and success to God alone. This person donated over $500,000,000 to charity, and nonstop visited children's hospitals. He is widely known as one of the kindest and emotionally beautiful celebrities ever. Unfortunately, they are a person who was the target of cruel acts of greed and horrible slander to their name. Because of this, I have become more emotionally involved with them and protective of their legacy. I firmly believe that this artist is a special gift from God to the world, and put in my life to bring me more joy and improve upon myself as a person (this artist has seriously helped me grow closer with God, and treat everyone with respect and empathy). So you can see why this is tearing me apart. They have been so good for me and to me, but I have inherited a deep love, and some may even call obsession, for them. They are my wallpaper, on my room walls, always in my thoughts, and just about everywhere in my life. But again, God and Jesus are absolutely everywhere in my life, and I without question hold them higher than all else.

I am really sorry about this crazy long paragraph, but this whole situation been a tough burden that I have encountered. I just don't want to hurt or offend God in my thoughts and actions. Especially since I know God put this person in my life for my benefit and joy. Thank you for helping me with this.

Raphael07

Aug 23, 2018
I don't think it's a sin to love a celebrity as long as your dedication to them doesn't take over your life and you start viewing them as important/powerful/good as Christ himself. But since it seems like this celeb has in fact helped you to strengthen your relationship with God, and enhances your faith, so I don't see how it would be counted as a sin.

Hope this helps you :)

Dooms

Feb 8, 2018
This is a world in peril, and a battleground between sin and Righteousness. There are voices that sing of God's songs, even in popular circumstances, sometimes despite the artist. However there are the voices that bring us apart from God, and they are many. Train your ears to hear the difference.