Proper way to tell someone that what they do is a sin

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Liz01

As good christians we should not justify a sin or lie about it.
A sin is a sin and is not good to us and not to the eyes of God either.

I have read in some threads here and in other places that when someone is doing something bad they try to justify themselves and they feel very offended as if they were being "discriminated" but we can not deny what bible say so,

How do you tell to someone that what they do is a sin without offending them ?

What does bible say about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
you tell him/her in secret that which
they are doing is wrong and if they
repent they are of God's but if they
don't they aren't.

oh and only need to tell them once
in secret, not your job to convince
them to stop, it's God's if they are
of God's.

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
take note, this scripture might
only be valid if the person sins
against you..

Matthew 18:15 (KJV)
Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee,
go and tell him his fault between thee and him
alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

...however if the person which you love sins in general
then i don't think it's your job to tell him his wrong doings
but rather go and pray for him\her in secret.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Ephesians tells us to speak the truth in love. I think that sums it up well, remember we're all sinners, and try to gain a brother, not kill a sinner :D

A

AnandaHya

I have read in some threads here and in other places that when someone is doing something bad they try to justify themselves and they feel very offended as if they were being "discriminated" but we can not deny what bible say so,

One way:

you use parables and have them judge for themselves what should happen to the person in the story and then reveal to them how they are that person.

there are more in the Bible but I'm going to bed. nit :)

2 Samuel 12
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 Then the Lord sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him: “There were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. 3 But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb which he had bought and nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate of his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him. 4 And a traveler came to the rich man, who refused to take from his own flock and from his own herd to prepare one for the wayfaring man who had come to him; but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.”

5 So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die! 6 And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man!

A

Abiding

well sure: one exhortation is: Galatians 6 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 5 For each one shall bear his own load.

Also Nathan told David about his sin...very carefully...so he didnt get cut through
but if we are gentle and the person is offended anyway and we didnt cause it
we just pray for them.

Last edited:
A

Abiding

wow i should read the thread before i just jump in...Hello AnandaHya! :)

C

Crossfire

I've found that the best way is to let scripture speak for itself, allowing that person to gauge / judge their own actions / behavior according to scripture. Our job is to not only love them and encourage them to live up to the biblical standard, but to also show by example that it can be done by living up to the standard ourselves.