propitiation and atonement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hearer

Jesus crown of thorns is symbolic of his suffering for Adam's sin and the sentence against Adam, namely that thorns and thistles shall grow where Adam must plant because of his great sin.

There had to be reparation for Adam's sin and our consequent sinning. The severity of God's wrath is shown by his sentence against Adam. "Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18 “Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you Gen 3: 16-18)

Also echoed for prophecy for propitiation for our consequent sinning in the prophecy inJeremiah 12:7-13
7 “I have forsaken My house, I have abandoned My inheritance; I have given the beloved of My soul Into the hand of her enemies. 8 “My inheritance has become to Me Like a lion in the forest; ...10 “Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard... 13 “They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns, They have strained themselves to no profit. But be ashamed of your harvest Because of the fierce anger of the LORD.”

echoed by:
Psalm 221 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?

That is the answer as to why God forsook his beloved, it's for the sins of his people and his fierce anger.

S

Scotth1960

Jesus crown of thorns is symbolic of his suffering for Adam's sin and the sentence against Adam, namely that thorns and thistles shall grow where Adam must plant because of his great sin.

There had to be reparation for Adam's sin and our consequent sinning. The severity of God's wrath is shown by his sentence against Adam. "Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you Gen 3: 16-18)

Also echoed for prophecy for propitiation for our consequent sinning in the prophecy inJeremiah 12:7-13
7 “I have forsaken My house, I have abandoned My inheritance; I have given the beloved of My soul Into the hand of her enemies. 8 “My inheritance has become to Me Like a lion in the forest; ...10 “Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard... 13They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns, They have strained themselves to no profit. But be ashamed of your harvest Because of the fierce anger of the LORD.”

echoed by:

That is the answer as to why God forsook his beloved, it's for the sins of his people and his fierce anger.
Dear hearer, Romans 3:24-25 ONT page 96: "being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, Whom God Himself hath set forth to be an expiation though faith in His blood, for a showing forth of His righteousness on account of the paralysis of the sins which were done aforetime in the forbearance of God, ....
1 John 2:2 ONT page 479: "And He Himself is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world. 1 John 4:10 ONT page 483: "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He Himself loved us, and sent forth His Son to be an expiation for our sins."

The ONT (Orthodox New Testament) has "expiation" whereas the KJV has the word "propitiation". For more information on the difference between expiation and propitiation as a view of the atonement, soteriology, see expiation versus propitiation in GOOGLE .... God bless you! In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington July 4, 2011 AD

S

Scotth1960

There had to be reparation for Adam's sin
and our consequent sinning. The severity of God's wrath is shown by his sentence against Adam. "Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you Gen 3: 16-18)

7 “I have forsaken My house, I have abandoned My inheritance; I have given the beloved of My soul Into the hand of her enemies. 8 “My inheritance has become to Me Like a lion in the forest; ...
10 “Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard... 13 “They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns, They have strained themselves to no profit. But be ashamed of your harvest Because of the fierce anger of the LORD.”

echoed by:

Psalm 22
1 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?

That is the answer as to
why God forsook his beloved, it's for the sins of his people and his fierce anger.

Dear Hearer, Theologyweb.com Propitiation versus Expiation

Propitiation: The wrath of the deity is appeased but the cause of the wrath remains.

Expiation: The source of the wrath is removed and therefore the deity is no longer
wrathful.

Propitiation is the Roman Catholic and Protestant view of Christ's atonement.

Expiation is the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox view of Christ's atonement.

Which view is Biblical? Which view is Christian? Answer: Expiation.

Propitiation means we must be "saved from God the Father" by God the Son.

Expiation means the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit love us, and we don't have to be saved

from the Father's wrath, as for Christ's sake, the Father is no longer wrathful.

God's wrath only comes upon the unrepentant. It comes from their unbelief, not from

anything the Father does against them.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington July 4, 2011 AD

H

Hearer

There had to be reparation for Adam's sin and our consequent sinning. The severity of God's wrath is shown by his sentence against Adam. "Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18 “Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you Gen 3: 16-18)

7 “I have forsaken My house, I have abandoned My inheritance; I have given the beloved of My soul Into the hand of her enemies. 8 “My inheritance has become to Me Like a lion in the forest; ... 10 “Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard... 13 “They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns, They have strained themselves to no profit. But be ashamed of your harvest Because of the fierce anger of the LORD.”

echoed by:

Dear Hearer, Theologyweb.com Propitiation versus Expiation

Propitiation: The wrath of the deity is appeased but the cause of the wrath remains.

Expiation: The source of the wrath is removed and therefore the deity is no longer
wrathful.

Propitiation is the Roman Catholic and Protestant view of Christ's atonement.

Expiation is the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox view of Christ's atonement.

Which view is Biblical? Which view is Christian? Answer: Expiation.

Propitiation means we must be "saved from God the Father" by God the Son.

Expiation means the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit love us, and we don't have to be saved

from the Father's wrath, as for Christ's sake, the Father is no longer wrathful.

God's wrath only comes upon the unrepentant. It comes from their unbelief, not from

anything the Father does against them.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington July 4, 2011 AD
that's the liberal heresy that we have to be saved from the father. We do not because Jesus was pleased to stand in our stead as he said himself that he lays down his life for his sheep (standing in their place)

Main Entry: atonement Part of Speech: noun Definition: compensation Synonyms: amends, expiation , indemnification, payment, penance, propitiation, recompense, redemption, redress, reparation, restitution, satisfaction

Expiation Synonyms, Expiation Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

and what about Jeremiah's prophecy????

S

Scotth1960

that's the liberal heresy that we have to be saved from the father. We do not because

Jesus was pleased to stand in our stead as he said himself that he lays down his life for his

sheep (standing in their place)

Main Entry:
atonement Part of Speech: noun Definition: compensation Synonyms: amends,

expiation , indemnification, payment, penance,
propitiation, recompense, redemption,

redress, reparation, restitution, satisfaction

Expiation Synonyms, Expiation Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

and what about Jeremiah's prophecy????

Jeremiah's prophecy can't disagree with the NT which teaches EXPIATION. What about

Jeremiah's prophecy?

What do you think it means? I don't remember which verse in Jeremiah you were

referring to? What doesJeremiah's prophecy say in the OSB translation, and what does

the OSB say about it? Is there any commentary on it in the OSB?

OSB Orthodox Study Bible. Copyright 2008, by Fr. Jack N. Sparks, Ph.D., dean, editor, Saint

Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology, Elk Grove, CA. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson

Bibles.

God bless you.

In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington

PS ISTM that it's the heresy of satisfaction according to St. Anselm's theory of

satisfaction/ appeasement/ propitiation/ penal substitionism, juridical (legalistic) view

of salvation/atonement that we need to be saved from God the Father, or from the wrath

of God the Father. What about God the Father being no longer wrathful against penitent

(repentant) sinners because of Christ's death and resurrection? Wrath remains only on

those who don't believe and don't repent.

H

Hearer

Jeremiah's prophecy can't disagree with the NT which teaches EXPIATION. What about

Jeremiah's prophecy?

What do you think it means? I don't remember which verse in Jeremiah you were

referring to? What doesJeremiah's prophecy say in the OSB translation, and what does

the OSB say about it? Is there any commentary on it in the OSB?

OSB Orthodox Study Bible. Copyright 2008, by Fr. Jack N. Sparks, Ph.D., dean, editor, Saint

Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology, Elk Grove, CA. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson

Bibles.

God bless you.

In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington

PS ISTM that it's the heresy of satisfaction according to St. Anselm's theory of

satisfaction/ appeasement/ propitiation/ penal substitionism, juridical (legalistic) view

of salvation/atonement that we need to be saved from God the Father, or from the wrath

of God the Father. What about God the Father being no longer wrathful against penitent

(repentant) sinners because of Christ's death and resurrection? Wrath remains only on

those who don't believe and don't repent.
Jeremiah 12:7-13

but you are right, Jesus took the wrath

You correctly said: "What about God the Father being no longer wrathful against penitent (repentant) sinners because of Christ's death and resurrection? "

A

AnandaHya

There had to be reparation for Adam's sin and our consequent sinning. The severity of God's wrath is shown by his sentence against Adam. "Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you Gen 3: 16-18)

7 “I have forsaken My house, I have abandoned My inheritance; I have given the beloved of My soul Into the hand of her enemies. 8 “My inheritance has become to Me Like a lion in the forest; ...10 “Many shepherds have ruined My vineyard... 13They have sown wheat and have reaped thorns, They have strained themselves to no profit. But be ashamed of your harvest Because of the fierce anger of the LORD.”

echoed by:

thanks, it makes me wonder the connection with other passages and parables about thorns Jesus revealed to the world.

Matthew 13:22
Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

Luke 6:44
For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush.

Luke 8:14
Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.

Hebrews 6:7-8
New King James Version (NKJV)
7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.