Psalm 23

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 3, 2013
Someone asked me to write on this and I must confess I´m not religious (no matter what you may think). I love God, I love Jesus, but my opinion tends to be out of some traditions (or other´s opinions) and I do not care feeling or thinking differently: I am me as you are you. What a blessing! We both are individuals! Just see God is WHO He is when saying: “Don´t like to know me” (Jer. 9:6)

The Bible, as a bulk, has some poetry, love letters, and sometimes I enjoy them but, by the moment I read this psalm I felt it as simple rhetoric.

The Bible is inspired and -in itself- it´s inspiring, but I do NOT need more loving or kind words written: I regret missing deeds and those words I could not hear from Him.

I tried to compare the Bible in the Reina-Valera version with the Spanish New Living Translation, but I quit: One was in simple present tense and the other in future tense, as the motto of a promise...

Vs. 5b can be read in its “spiritualized” form, otherwise this is obscure; but I long to talk to God, I would like to hear Him in a chat. Can He be heard? Will I know Him by this second-hand experience?

Some may have found comfort and release while reading the Holy Book, but this is not an actual relationship to keep and, same way I´m telling you I have told God: That is not complete love... You could miss someone who left and sends you emails. You could enjoy meeting someone for skype or phone calls, but reading this -alone- is not enough to name it a relationship.

I do beg you to be understood. I don´t miss His hugs or loving touch, but His person and the best one to talk and hear of. Many have heard His voice (as a thunder) and some have said they saw Him (with His light) but, what I miss is Him, as a Person. How could I say that “I know Him”? All of this is a second-hand experience. I don´t care what David or Salomon lived, but my living experience.

Yes! He has done things for me. He has answered prayers and has done wonders for me, but I don´t know Him as a Person, and He is the best person I could be missing.

I have wasted time and too many years while guessing and making choices. How could I hear His voice, each time I´m away from His blessings or making the best choice?

I´m tired to guess, a whole life inferring... I need His voice, or the assurance of His guiding Spirit.

Errors are predictable while playing chess. My life has been so and this is near to end up, any day.

I need my life to be totally changed and this is not a simple stuff a human potter can break and make anew (Jer. 18:4-6).

I don´t understand life by inferring or guessing. May I find Him to talk or be heard?

I wish He looks at me closely... I cannot speak of Him with a second-hand knowledge or a third-hand experience. I need to live this up to witness He is real. Many people need His guiding voice, many are lazy to read a simple text message (like the Bible) and healthy relationships are built while talking, by hearing one another. That is what I ask for me and for those He knows need Him.

City people and country people need to talk and be heard. I know that by experience. We humans -even having same citizenship, culture and language- lack full understanding to know what others need, but I think I cannot witness what I have not lived or understood. I don´t sell a product I haven´t tried, because -to me- it is like lying. Will you buy a thing by faith, without knowing it a little?

You may call it as many, it´s just “faith” that you need; but how can I tell those who badly need it: It is not God WHOM I seek?

Traditionally, I was told that God wants OUR trusting obedience. I know it but, am I too deaf to hear He wants to be known? (Jer. 9:6). Could I meet Him without hearing what He is talking?... Who am I to insist on asking? (I need you to be realistic, I don´t mind this I beg of Him).

Psalm 23:4b says: “you are close to me” or “I´ll be protected”. That´s OK, but this is not a complete loving relationship I live. Let´s say the writer´s inspiration talks about the Lord Jesus (or the author´s feeling) but this is not mine.

I don´t like to spent my whole life in a temple (23:6b). I don´t know God in that way to be His priest or servant: I see myself as an individual, with human and spiritual needs. Will that be enough for you? He is God, The Lord, a Spiritual Person I cannot see or hear...

It is easy to worship God when you see Him healing, showing His power; but I need Him as a Person (sometimes for a talk, where I can hear His voice).

Prayers are useless if these are just to ask things. I see them selfish when I go to Him to ask things, for me or others. I don´t believe these prayers are fair when I ask, not giving Him a thing in turn. What could I give Him if I don´t know what He wants me to give (or give up)?

Let me say this: When I like someone, I like to meet that person closely. Let´s say she is far or I went away: I call! (I phone call). Do you like simple words lacking its full meaning? I like to see, smell, touch and hear. Who gave me my humanity and being? This is not simple faith. Did Moses meet God? Did the Jews hear Him talk to Jesus (at His baptism) or while the Lord called Lazarus from the dead? He is the same Lord I believe, but I long to hear His guiding voice. I don´t trust any longer my decisions or will.

I agree with those who say deeds speak volumes. Words are complete when they walk with simple deeds. If you love someone, show it and make it true. Words are empty without deeds, and facts are coherent with those things you may have said.

I don´t dare to say: “Jesus loves you” when some needs His assurance and His complete confirmation. How could I make Him (God) comes to help the needy? The Bible shows many people experienced God in their personal life, but I don´t have the power to help those who need Him to be seen or heard: I just need your living WORD, God. Just tell me what I need to do!

There is a book I have read “Experiencing God” (written by Henry Blackby and someone else). I used to read it and checked how the authors learned to hear God´s voice. Good! I recommend to read it, but I haven´t learned well. Perhaps I´m in sin and many things are wrong in my life, but I will insist on this: I want to hear Him.

David spent 14 years before being a king. He was anointed by Samuel -and soon after- he was an outlaw and ran and hid... Do I want a kingdom to be a king? No! That´s useless, like a big palace where I have to do all the chores.

I do long for few things, but these are worthless without you, God.

What my life serves for, if I cannot hear of You, God?

I am lost, screwed up and wrong, that my dream is useless and my sleep is restless.

Why am I here, with people I do not belong? (I John 3:18; James 1:22).

I want YOUR words become true...

A.T.