Purity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

skyelovesgod

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting my first purity ring soon, and I've made my pledge to stay pure until marriage.
I'm getting a ring to signify it, and to always be a reminder pf my faith

What are your thoughts on purity pledges and rings?

God bless you all!

W

Willot

Personally, I'm a moral nihilist so I don't have a problem with pre-marital sex of any kind.

Feb 11, 2012
Heart purity is the issue here, and its noble of you at such a young age to want to stay pure and holy before God.
To remain pure is an action we must do every day, as you will face many temptations along the way, and unless you are walking in the truth, and have purified your heart through repentance and faith, then you will not be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Yet Purity of heart is the principle doctrine of the Gospel! Unless your heart is made Pure by faith and subsequently followed by 'purity' of life, you have NOT received the Grace of God. Religion is not merely correct doctrines and orthodoxy, it is HEARING the Word of God and putting it into practice!(Lk11:28) People who do not live according to the Word of God are NOT Christians, no matter how much they attend church, sing in choirs, listen to preaching or come to bible study. Most people assume themselves Christians because they enjoy listening to good preaching & gospel music. They like discussing the 'abstract' notions of religion, but never seem to arrive at the understanding of how it applies to them. Suggest that holiness is something you DO, not something you talk about doing and watch them scatter.
In Scripture there's no 'middle' ground. You are either obeying Christ or not obeying Him. You are either Dead to sin or living 'in' sin. You are either serving Jesus or serving yourself. You can't have it both ways. There's no such thing as half-hearted service to God. The double minded man is unstable in ALL his ways, James1:8. No one can serve two masters, Matt6:24 (this also includes 'lust' in the heart! True faith will give you power over such things)
Why then do MOST professing Christians live as though none of these things were true? Why are people permitted to enter into a supposed relationship with Christ and still cling to selfish endeavors & sinful lusts? Jesus set the standard of Grace when He said if you 'look' at a women to lust for her in your heart you have already committed adultery with her. And if you hate your brother, you are guilty of murder.(Matt5:22-30) He completed the point by adding that if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out, if your hand, cut it off! (Matt5:29) www.standingthegap.org

So real heart purity is an action, that comes from an obedient faith, in love, devotion and fear of God. Wearing a ring wont keep the temptations away, but yielding to the spirit of God will, and this all come from crucifying your flesh once and for all with Christ in reality sparked through real biblical repentance and a working faith in love! Gal 2-20. Isa 55-7.

Hope this helps.

E

episcopotic

I have to wonder how and if these kinds of pledges and jewelry work. Let's say I decide not to eat chocolate chip cookies and wear a ring to remind myself. Every time I see it, I'm reminded: no chocolate chip cookies.

At church: No chocolate chip cookies.
Driving: No chocolate chip cookies.
Getting in the shower: No chocolate chip cookies.
Getting out of the shower: No chocolate chip cookies.
At a restaurant: No chocolate chip cookies.
Holding a box of chocolate chip cookies: No chocolate chip cookies.

Maybe I spent 10% of my time being tempted by chocolate chip cookies before, but now I'm thinking about them all the time, every time I see my finger.

Feb 11, 2012
Here is another thought on purity, and just how important it is to guard your heart above all things, and what you put into your mind!

What are you thinking about?

Php 4:8 Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things.
When one is truly converted, and has gone through the baptism of repentance, followed by a working faith in love, the critical aspect of this conversion will be manifested in what we think about. The mind is a powerful weapon to either do good or evil, as we learn from scripture that says, he who does what is evil (sins) is of the devil, from 1 John 3:8, and I believe the mind is the portal for Satan to cause havoc with those who are still divided in their hearts, loving the world on one hand, then loving God on the other.
We are commanded to love the Lord our God, with all our heart, mind, and strength, and also to capture all out though to Jesus Christ, 2Co 10:5 pulling down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought into the obedience of Christ.
What a powerful scripture, calling us to guard our heart and mind in all areas of our life.
Sin begins in the mind or as a thought, Jas 1:13 Let no one being tempted say, I am tempted from God. For God is not tempted by evils, and He tempts no one.
Jas 1:14 But each one is tempted by his lusts, being drawn away and seduced by them.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin. And sin, when it is fully formed, brings forth death.
This clearly proves we are responsible before God for what we think about, and how these vile thoughts can lead to sin and death, there is no such thing as original sin, or the devil made me do it, no, sin begins in the mind, or in our thoughts, caused by what we PUT into it!
Are you filling your mind daily with the word of God? Seeking and digging deep for the truth as commanded by Jesus and the apostles? Are you challenging all the false teachings going on in the apostate churches today, or are you filling your mind and thoughts with all the vile propaganda on TV, Hollywood movies, all the witchcraft and magic books very popular in the church today?
I believe a truly converted person, will have a fire and passion for truth, seeking the wisdom of God with all his heart and soul, and will put away the foolish things, which cause distractions and divided hearts, against the pure teachings of Jesus Christ.
We cannot afford to let our guards down when it comes to what we put into our minds on a daily basis, we must not give the evil one a foothold, by opening the door just a little bit, no we must flee from all vileness, corruption, immorality, and the lies being propagated as truth in the church system today.
WE must put on the mind of Christ, follow the spirit of truth if we have been truly converted, then guard our heart and mind against the wiles of the devil, by abstaining from all appearances of evil, 1Th 5:21 Prove all things, hold fast to the good.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from every appearance of evil.
What we think about each day really matters, as the evil one wants us to get distracted, take our eyes and thoughts off of Christ, by putting thoughts into our minds that take us away from being a pure and holy bride, cleansed and purged of all vile thoughts, caused by what we put into it, through entertainments, conversations, music we focus on. Etc……
I know we are surrounded by the world, and all its lies, foul language, disrespect for Jesus, and God, worldly music, and foul jokes and conversations, there is no way around it, unless you are a monk, and lock yourself in a monastery forever. So being grounded in the truth, putting on the full armor of God, each and every day, hiding the word of God in your heart, praying, and standing aloof of the church system and all its lies and confusion, is a big step in keeping our thoughts focused on Christ, and walking an obedient life of faith, and heart purity.
Tommy 1-13-12

Spartacus1122

Banned [Reason: insulting CC admin in previous pos
Jun 9, 2012
Vow of purity until marriage is a noble choice.
There is nothing wrong with symbolizing one's choice with a piece of jewelry, be it a ring or a pendant.

3 of my (girl) friends waited 'til marriage, and their husbands (fiancés at the time) completely respected their choices. All three couples are still happily married with children.

In a world where sex is cheap and devalued, I admire and respect girls/young women who make that choice. It is not easy, hence the respect.
Cheers.

U

Ugly

Skye
I think its awesome. Ignore the naysayers or people who try to minimize it. Your ring is just a symbol of commitment to stay pure. We all know its not needed. But it can be a good reminder at times, and a good witness as well. Wear it and live it!

A

AnotherJesusPerson

I think its a really good idea. :) If you are faced with the temptation the ring could help... Because sometimes when you are tempted you forget about where your grounds are... But when you see the ring it may help you out...
And its simbolizing what you believe... and people don't respect each other and stuff so showing what your grounds are is good.
Also, if someone asks about it, it could be a good time for you to tell someone about Jesus. :)

eugenius

Jul 17, 2009
Just be sure you keep it. Easy to say this when you are 13. When you become 16 and your body is full of hormones driving you to reproduce, that is when the real challenge will be.

Get through that period in one piece, and you will meet many many godly men who want a girl who is different from what they see out there.

If you survived to your 20's, it becomes easier.

Jun 5, 2012
Just be sure you keep it. Easy to say this when you are 13. When you become 16 and your body is full of hormones driving you to reproduce, that is when the real challenge will be.
i agree with that very much. right now its easy so this is the time you should make up your mind that this is EXACTLY want you want so you wont have to struggle with it later and make mistakes :D

C

Chadtreme

That is good. That is what God wants is for yu to say pure until you r married. As long as yu follow God nothing will be to hard to overcome even yur sexual wants. Stay Strong.

K

Knowing

The fact you are considering this at 13 years old scares the hell out of me!!!

This world will pay...!!!

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
I have to wonder how and if these kinds of pledges and jewelry work. Let's say I decide not to eat chocolate chip cookies and wear a ring to remind myself. Every time I see it, I'm reminded: no chocolate chip cookies.

At church: No chocolate chip cookies.
Driving: No chocolate chip cookies.
Getting in the shower: No chocolate chip cookies.
Getting out of the shower: No chocolate chip cookies.
At a restaurant: No chocolate chip cookies.
Holding a box of chocolate chip cookies: No chocolate chip cookies.

Maybe I spent 10% of my time being tempted by chocolate chip cookies before, but now I'm thinking about them all the time, every time I see my finger.
hahahaah! i wish there is a pill that makes you hate chocolates. lol

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
yay! that's really awesome! I pray that you wont be pressured because people are doing it.You are not alone. There a lot of people who are like you. Remaining is the best gift you can offer your husband. :)

M

Moe

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting my first purity ring soon, and I've made my pledge to stay pure until marriage.
I'm getting a ring to signify it, and to always be a reminder pf my faith

What are your thoughts on purity pledges and rings?

God bless you all!

I don't go for symbols myself. If you are pledging to your friends and family I guess okay. However with that being said, if you are pledging to God, which you should be doing, then He looks at your heart and not your finger...Food for thought..It's a great pledge either way! Cheers

C

chellebee

Kuddos to u I'm so proud to hear this wish a lot more young people were like you . I really believe that is a great thing. Be proud of who you are. I am 40 yrs old and I wish I would've saved myself for marriage. If I had maybe things would've turned out differently for me. God Bless You and keep your faith in God always