Putting trust in Jesus - A true Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hrb1173

By the recommendation of a friend, I am reading a book called "A Ready Defense" by Josh McDowell. The intent of the book is to be able to defend the Christian faith.

Let me start off by telling my story and I will get back to the book and its place in my post shortly. I have always questioned my faith. I have always wondered if I was really a Christian. Recently I lost my job, my wife and I haven't been able to have kids, and things just were not going well. So, one day I decided to pray. I thought to myself, if I am going to pray, I better strengthen my faith and really determine if I am a Christian. So, I joined CC and started to educate myself on what it takes to be a Christian.

I have to say, I have been learning a lot. Being a member of CC has certainly helped to a point. I have met a lot of wonderful people that unknowingly have helped me on my journey. So, now I get back to the book. In the book it states, "Chrisitanity is not a religion. Religion is humans trying to work their way to God through good works. Christianity is God coming to men and women through Jesus Christ, offering them a relationship with Himself." With that being said - I don't think it has happened for me yet. I keep praying for help in trusting Jesus and to allow him into my heart, but it is almost as if nothing happens. I don't know if I am waiting for a "feeling" that it has happened. I know that I have been acting differently, the things that I were doing previously that were inappropriate, I am not doing anymore. I find that many of the behaviors of my friends and family are inappropriate and I never had a problem before. Does that mean I am trusting more in Jesus? Does that mean that my faith and Christianity is getting stronger? What do I need to do to get the feeling that Jesus has taken over my life and I trust him completely?

Anyway, that is where I am at right now. I can see improvements, but I want to be better. I want the change to happen over night; like a lightning bolt to the head. Is it unreasonable to think or want that? Am I doing the right thing for my spiritual growth?

I look for your suggestions and comments.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I always thought that there would be one moment where I was completely, miraculously changed from a sinner to a perfect christian. Like a magic wand being waved over me, or something.

But I found it is more of a walk with the Lord than a one time thing. The more time you spend with the Lord the more you are changed.

Almost everything in the world wants you to question your faith. "Is this real?", "Am I just imagining this?" These are darts of the enemy. The whole battle is a battle of faith. Any time the enemy can cause you to doubt he has won a small battle. But Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. That means if you lose a battle get back up and try again, this time put more trust in Him.

Mark 9:23-24
23Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

C

CanadaNZ

Yea don't look for a feeling. . .you may get one at some point, but if you have given him your like and have started striving to follow Him in obedience than you are likely already a christian. My wife has had alot of "feelings", where I have had very few, but I have been walking with Christ for a long time and know that God works in people differently.

A

AnandaHya

By the recommendation of a friend, I am reading a book called "A Ready Defense" by Josh McDowell. The intent of the book is to be able to defend the Christian faith.

Let me start off by telling my story and I will get back to the book and its place in my post shortly. I have always questioned my faith. I have always wondered if I was really a Christian. Recently I lost my job, my wife and I haven't been able to have kids, and things just were not going well. So, one day I decided to pray. I thought to myself, if I am going to pray, I better strengthen my faith and really determine if I am a Christian. So, I joined CC and started to educate myself on what it takes to be a Christian.

I have to say, I have been learning a lot. Being a member of CC has certainly helped to a point. I have met a lot of wonderful people that unknowingly have helped me on my journey. So, now I get back to the book. In the book it states, "Chrisitanity is not a religion. Religion is humans trying to work their way to God through good works. Christianity is God coming to men and women through Jesus Christ, offering them a relationship with Himself." With that being said - I don't think it has happened for me yet. I keep praying for help in trusting Jesus and to allow him into my heart, but it is almost as if nothing happens. I don't know if I am waiting for a "feeling" that it has happened. I know that I have been acting differently, the things that I were doing previously that were inappropriate, I am not doing anymore. I find that many of the behaviors of my friends and family are inappropriate and I never had a problem before. Does that mean I am trusting more in Jesus? Does that mean that my faith and Christianity is getting stronger? What do I need to do to get the feeling that Jesus has taken over my life and I trust him completely?

Anyway, that is where I am at right now. I can see improvements, but I want to be better. I want the change to happen over night; like a lightning bolt to the head. Is it unreasonable to think or want that? Am I doing the right thing for my spiritual growth?

wow.... where to start...

I would recommend Paris Reidhead's "So great a Salvation" audio sermon series:

Paris Reidhead Audio Sermons

I found it helped me a lot.

It explains it better then I can but I'll try and summarize a few key points.

He presents salvation as not something that we do but something God does within us. However we can recognize the signs of growth and maturity and sanctification in the lives of those being saved. He out lines key Bible verses that can be used to help people in each stage. I don't have them memorized but they are in the sermons in the link I posted above.

I haven't listened to it in a few months but he says that most of the world lives in darkness and an UNAWAKENED state. then God places in them a desire to learn of Him. He shows them their sin and brokenness and their need of a Savior. Then someone comes and preaches the True Gospel to them and they hear and believe, repent, turn. at some point the Holy Spirit comes and dwells in their heart and tells them they are children of God and are born again. no one can tell another they are His child only God Himself through His Holy Spirit.

Sometimes this happens immediately but sometimes it takes heartfelt prayer and repentance and searching of scriptures before God decides to bless the person with that peace and comfort of His Spirit.

be careful about judging others (not that I'm saying you are but its a thin line between being discerning and being judgmental or feeling superior to others). it is good to be discerning and learning God's laws as they are written in your heart but remember to be humble and that you before God showed you His truth were in the bondage of sin as well.

ok my kids wants to play video games.

I have found reading my Bible and praying to be very helpful in my walk with the Lord.

T

Trax

With that being said - I don't think it has happened for me yet. I keep praying for help in trusting Jesus and to allow him into my heart, but it is almost as if nothing happens. I don't know if I am waiting for a "feeling" that it has happened. I know that I have been acting differently, the things that I were doing previously that were inappropriate, I am not doing anymore. I find that many of the behaviors of my friends and family are inappropriate and I never had a problem before. Does that mean I am trusting more in Jesus? Does that mean that my faith and Christianity is getting stronger? What do I need to do to get the feeling that Jesus has taken over my life and I trust him completely?

For starters, if you are saved, then you have the Holy Spirit in you. But you seem to have doubt.
That needs to be addressed first. Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, that
meaning, believe He died for your sins on the cross, cleansed you with His shed blood,
and rose again on the third day? If you aren't sure, just quote this part and and type I accept
and make Jesus my Lord.

If you have believed and made a confession in the past, He is still with you.

A

AnandaHya

there is more to salvation then saying the sinner's prayer or some version of it.

:(

The only person who can truly tell you you are a child of God is the HOLY SPIRIT.

T

Trax

there is more to salvation then saying the sinner's prayer or some version of it.
So you don't agree with someone believing that Jesus died for their sins on the cross, and His
shed blood washed them of their sins, and that He rose on the third day, and accept Him
as Lord?

A

AnandaHya

So you don't agree with someone believing that Jesus died for their sins on the cross, and His
shed blood washed them of their sins, and that He rose on the third day, and accept Him
as Lord?
If they truly believe in their heart and understand what ti really means. If they truly understand the need they have for a Savior and repent of their sins, I would rejoice but that would not make them a child of God.

Only when they are born again of God's Holy Spirit can that be said to happen and nothing WE DO or say will make that happen. It is through the grace of God who gives a gift to those who truly seek Him. For in His word we hold fast to His promise for He is Faithful:

Luke 11

9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread[d] from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Salvation does not happen when you ask but when God GIVES.

T

Trax

Salvation does not happen when you ask but when God GIVES.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

No one comes to Jesus unless the Father calls him. Jesus has paid the price. He stands at the
door and knocks, you just have to accept Him in. God has already GAVE His Son.

A

AnandaHya

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

No one comes to Jesus unless the Father calls him. Jesus has paid the price. He stands at the
door and knocks, you just have to accept Him in. God has already GAVE His Son.
He gave them the POWER to become the sons of God. not that they are all the sons of God automatically.

Besides I am talking about being born again and when God gives a person the HOLY SPIRIT and personally comes and dwells in their hearts. the TIMING of that is up to GOD not up to men and when they think it should happen.

John 14:25-27
New King James Version (NKJV)
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

what exactly do you have issue with my posts? do you disagree with them?

Or just the statement that it takes more then a sinners prayer to save someone?

Do you disagree that it takes the HOLY SPIRIT indwelling in the heart for a person to be truly saved?

H

hrb1173

CC is Christian Chat

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The human head weighs 8 lbs.

H

hrb1173

For starters, if you are saved, then you have the Holy Spirit in you. But you seem to have doubt.
That needs to be addressed first. Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, that
meaning, believe He died for your sins on the cross, cleansed you with His shed blood,
and rose again on the third day? If you aren't sure, just quote this part and and type I accept
and make Jesus my Lord.

If you have believed and made a confession in the past, He is still with you.
I have accepted him as my Lord and Savior and I do believe that he died on the cross for my sins. And the more I read everyone's posts the more I feel he is with me and know that it is more of a walk with the Lord than a bolt of lightning. I pray that it will be a long walk with the Lord and it is one I am willing to take.

D

dishchat

Christianity is not based on feelings but on faith. You can never get any feelings and be saved. We are saved by faith in Jesus and that faith in not our faith but it is a gift of God. Do not look at any circumstances otherwise you may fall down. Don't be like Peter who looked at the big waves and began to sink. Look only at Christ who is above all.

T

Trax

I don't think it has happened for me yet. I keep praying for help in trusting Jesus and to allow him into my heart, but it is almost as if nothing happens. I don't know if I am waiting for a "feeling" that it has happened. What do I need to do to get the feeling that Jesus has taken over my life and I trust him completely?

Am I doing the right thing for my spiritual growth?

Ok, I read your last post and now its time for step two. Don't rely on "feelings." That is
emotions and they come and go and they go up and down. Feelings isn't faith either.
If you find yourself struggling with sin, and you keep saying, I will try harder to not sin, then
do the very thing you said you would try harder to not do, then stop trying. It wont work.
You are relying on your own ego and self to overcome and that has a 100% failure rating.
So, instead of praying for help to stop sinning, pray and give thanks for what God has done
for you and given you. First thing in the morning pray, give thanks for the day, because it is
a day the Lord has made and rejoice in it.
Psa 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Being thankful and thanking God will turn things around.

A

AnandaHya

I have accepted him as my Lord and Savior and I do believe that he died on the cross for my sins. And the more I read everyone's posts the more I feel he is with me and know that it is more of a walk with the Lord than a bolt of lightning. I pray that it will be a long walk with the Lord and it is one I am willing to take.
:) you might have a few bolt of lightning moments but I like the peaceful walk with God myself because the bolts normally are surrounded by a lot of change and drama.

At least I have found in my walk with God that these verses hold a whole deeper meaning when you are going through trials and when you have your faith tested:

Psalm 19
New King James Version (NKJV)

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.
2 Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language
Where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line[a] has gone out through all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world.
In them He has set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
And rejoices like a strong man to run its race.
6 Its rising is from one end of heaven,
And its circuit to the other end;
And there is nothing hidden from its heat.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.

10 More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.

12 Who can understand his errors?
Cleanse me from secret faults.
13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;
Let them not have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless,
And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer

its my favorite psalm at this point in my life because it holds so much promise that GOD will teach us. we learn wisdom through God's testimony and as someone told me you have no "testimony" without the "test"

May God reveal our secret faults and enable us to overcome temptations when we are tried and tested:

James 1
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

C

Crimeny

The human head weighs 8 lbs.
haha i was just scrolling and i see this random blurb haha anyways sorry for disrupting your discussion peoples this was just interesting :)