Quarantine Foodie life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Heart_Melody

Hey all -

So I love good food and I like to cook - and since I am stuck at home, it is the perfect time to make those hard, time consuming meals.

I'd like to know what is your go to for these times? Simple hearty ingredients for me at the moment because it's still more on the chillier side here in Wisconsin.

Like today I am going to attempt to make a "From Scratch, Creamiest and best Chicken Pot Pie". The crust is a friends Mother's flakiest Egg Pie Crust... Tested and tried.

I am so excited because the sound of Chicken Pot Pie but the only one I've ever had is the "Madame Curie" pre made ones. And those are not amazing. Since I did not grow up in America - And it's not something we eat in Switzerland.

So hopefully this will be a success!! I am going to try and post a picture of my pie-adventure and let you know how it all turned out!!!

And PLEASE let me know how you are cooking away the worry and stress of the whole quarantine situation. :)

T

TheIndianGirl

That's great! I have been trying new recipes too. I made Chef John's red beans and rice last week, from allrecipes.com. It is really delicious. I also made mashed potatoes and baked some beef. Today I'm making a big pot of dhal (Indian lentils) and a new one, Ethiopian collard greens (gomen wat). There are a lot of savory oatmeal recipes for dinner (for example, with ginger mushroom and spinach) so I might try that later in the week.

H

Heart_Melody

That's great! I have been trying new recipes too. I made Chef John's red beans and rice last week, from allrecipes.com. It is really delicious. I also made mashed potatoes and baked some beef. Today I'm making a big pot of dhal (Indian lentils) and a new one, Ethiopian collard greens (gomen wat). There are a lot of savory oatmeal recipes for dinner (for example, with ginger mushroom and spinach) so I might try that later in the week.
Ohhh those sound absolutely divine - I enjoy Indian cooking so much!!!
Any ethnic foods in general - and anytime someone cooks for me haha

And report of the pot Pie!!! IT WAS AMAZING! Best thing I might have ever cooked...
I am so proud and stuffed lol

Attachments

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I spent some time in Turkey and was missing some of the food. There is a dish called Ezme, it is like a Turkish salsa. It is so good. I like to serve it with tortilla chips and even sprinkle with some chopped walnuts.

Attachments

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
The other thing I made just today was called Simit. It is like a sesame bagel. The sellers walk through the markets calling out, "Simits, simits" and carry them on huge trays on their heads. It was fresh baked and wonderful. They turned out great and both recipes can be found on Ozlem's Turkish Table. She is an amazing lady. Her cookbook which was released this year has a #1 rating. On Facebook she always answers questions about her food. Her blogging has great pics. Her is a picture of the simits I made today.

IMG_3550.jpeg

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Sorry this is a repeat. I tried to edit the pic. and ran out of editing time and so there are two identical posts.
The other thing I made just today was called Simit. It is like a sesame bagel. The sellers walk through the markets calling out, "Simits, simits" and carry them on huge trays on their heads. It was fresh baked and wonderful. They turned out great and both recipes can be found on Ozlem's Turkish Table. She is an amazing lady. Her cookbook which was released this year has a #1 rating. On Facebook she always answers questions about her food. Her blogging has great pics. Her is a picture of the simits I made today.

IMG_3547.jpeg

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Here is the challenge. I saw these amazing baked fergosa on My Modern Met. This baker creates these works of art. I posted them on Facebook and my friend challenged me to try to do it. I will send the challenge out of all of you.

Attachments

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Wow, have wonderful to have creativity like that!

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Wow, have wonderful to have creativity like that!
And to be really clear, I didn't bake any of these. When I do try one I'll post it and you can all have a good chuckle. :)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I trust He will be with you to guide you in creating the perfect creation, just as His Creation is always perfect.

G

Godsgirl83

WHY did I come look at this thread first thing in the morning before eating????? :unsure::unsure::unsure::LOL:
@laughingheart those breaded works of art look wonderful! Do you have the recipe for the dough?
What a great idea! Since the kiddos are home from school the rest of the year, their art teacher has struggled to come up with stuff for distance learning and has encouraged them to get creative with whatever they find.
I think this could be a fun project for that!

G

Godsgirl83

okay, just showed the pics to my boys and they're excited and want to start ASAP!

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
WHY did I come look at this thread first thing in the morning before eating????? :unsure::unsure::unsure::LOL:
@laughingheart those breaded works of art look wonderful! Do you have the recipe for the dough?
What a great idea! Since the kiddos are home from school the rest of the year, their art teacher has struggled to come up with stuff for distance learning and has encouraged them to get creative with whatever they find.
I think this could be a fun project for that!
Once Upon a Chef also has a good recipe. I think bisquick also has an easy one.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Bisquick Buttermilk Biscuit mix is the foundation for the best channel catfish bait I know of.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
I saw this today and thought it was great.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I'm impressed! Will be looking for it, or, maybe you could set up an internet business to serve we non-Aussies?
blessings