Question about marriage...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tintintin

What if two people (both Christians) had a civil marriage when they were young, and now want to have a christian wedding, how would their previous civil marriage affect the christian wedding they are planning?

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
It won't affect...
It's a good sign that they want the Christian wedding too. They want their union to be blessed by God. Their relation will become holy.
If this is about you and your husband than I wish you all the best!

T

tintintin

Thanks so much for the reply! what about the requirements though? Because here in the philippines some Christian churches require marriage license and a certificate of no marriage... How would the process go though? (Oh it's not for me though, just a relative :-D) I also want to know the answer myself :)

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
The civil marriage, as long as it was done legally and correctly, is completely good and binding.
God recognizes civil laws, so in God's eyes, people with a legal civil marriage are married.

If you want to have another wedding ceremony, you can do whatever you like.

A christian minister would probably just want to see the marriage certificate from the civil authorities.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
What if two people (both Christians) had a civil marriage when they were young, and now want to have a christian wedding, how would their previous civil marriage affect the christian wedding they are planning?
Nothing. But why would they have a "christian" marriage? In order to please certain denominational preferences? Many of the civil marriages here are actually conducted by ministers. Their marriage is valid.

T

Tintin

I don't have anything to add, but your username Tintintin is very cool. For a moment I was confused that I'd created a marriage thread.

K

kennethcadwell

Thanks so much for the reply! what about the requirements though? Because here in the philippines some Christian churches require marriage license and a certificate of no marriage... How would the process go though? (Oh it's not for me though, just a relative :-D) I also want to know the answer myself :)
Romans 13 says we are to obey the laws of the governing authorities.
Now this being said though, the bible also shows that as long as those laws don't go against God they are to be obeyed, and if they do then you can protest them.
We can see by the bible that having a certificate of marriage or marriage license does not go against God, so you as a Christian would be called to obey the law to get one.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I don't have anything to add, but your username Tintintin is very cool. For a moment I was confused that I'd created a marriage thread.
Exactly.

I'm sitting here thinking, "Tintin already got married in the Philippines? Does his girl know? He's gonna be in SO much trouble."

It is SO hard to explain away an extra wife.

: )

T

Tintin

Exactly.

I'm sitting here thinking, "Tintin already got married in the Philippines? Does his girl know? He's gonna be in SO much trouble."

It is SO hard to explain away an extra wife.

: )
Haha! Oh, brother, you crack me up! I would never do that to my dear Arlene.

J

Juely

I dont think it will affect the civil wedding. The important your a christian now & you want to make it right in the eyes of the lord

K

Kingdom_Seeker

When you speak your vows and make your commitments to each other, God hears you the first time, although, the wedding sounds like something your wife would enjoy...Find a church. It can be in expensive.

Perhaps your next step would be water baptism together. Weddings are just ceremonies in the church...The love you share, your commitment to each other and the marriage license is what makes the relationship and the marriage.

Just remember that when you speak a vow, or promise, it is sacred and God holds you accountable to be a good and faithful husband or a good and faithful wife, and provide for your family.

Proud to hear two people can still be together and continue in Gods Grace.