QUESTION FOR ATHEISTS

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusLives

Senior Member
Oct 11, 2013
14,731
2,343
113
I was just wondering How did you become an atheist? Was is something you learned from a home environment or taught in school? Did something happen to you that made you decide that would be your belief? Were you a Christian and changed your mind? I would just like to hear how you came to this belief.

Please my Christian brothers and sisters don't condemn our atheist chatters as I truly would like to hear how they came to this belief.

However, if a Christian brother or sister would like to give the reason as to why they became a Christian I welcome those responses too.
 
Hi JL, this is my first ever blog response. Honestly, I have never been to this part of the forum before. How does this work? I take it others can read my response? Ah, I just spotted it (16 views). How does it differ from the regular forum and why post here? Never mind; I think I just figured it out. I find that talking to oneself works wonders. :)

I'll be happy to respond. This will take a bit of time, so I will have to get back to you.

Cycel
 
I've spent a lot of time debating and talking with atheists over the last 5-6 years. Everyone is different and has their own story. But from what I've gathered they fall into a few categories.

1. The atheist doesn't want God, because someone they know died a horrible death, and they blame God for it, and the fact that the person who died was a believer, they despise the faith, and anything that reminds them off suffering of someone they loved.

2. The Militant atheist, different from the regular atheist. This one has had a hard time fitting into the world, or had a hard time finding a place for God in their lives of sin, so they belittle those who believe in God, as sheep, or people who can't think for themselves.

3. Then there is the high horse scoffer Atheist. They feel that they are so much more enlightened to the world and information around us, that it would be silly to waste their time on the ideas of a "higher power". That knowledge and materialism, and naturalism is able to account for all of creation.

They are often people I can get along with on so many levels in life. But as soon as you mention the fact that you hold to a belief, that there is a creator God, who loves us, and created us in his image. They ridicule. I'm well armed though.

Some are very sincere, and have come to a conclusion through much thought. However this is certainly the minority in my experience. Most are upset and mad at a deep seated issue. God will mess up their plans to have sex before marriage.. to do whatever it is they want to do, to continue to do questionable things with their non-Christian friends. The list goes on. Not meant to be mean or judge, just in my honest experience.
 
Friendly_Canadian;bt7752 said:
I've spent a lot of time debating and talking with atheists over the last 5-6 years. Everyone is different and has their own story. But from what I've gathered they fall into a few categories.

1. The atheist doesn't want God, because someone they know died a horrible death, and they blame God for it, and the fact that the person who died was a believer, they despise the faith, and anything that reminds them off suffering of someone they loved.

2. The Militant atheist, different from the regular atheist. This one has had a hard time fitting into the world, or had a hard time finding a place for God in their lives of sin, so they belittle those who believe in God, as sheep, or people who can't think for themselves.

3. Then there is the high horse scoffer Atheist. They feel that they are so much more enlightened to the world and information around us, that it would be silly to waste their time on the ideas of a "higher power". That knowledge and materialism, and naturalism is able to account for all of creation.

They are often people I can get along with on so many levels in life. But as soon as you mention the fact that you hold to a belief, that there is a creator God, who loves us, and created us in his image. They ridicule. I'm well armed though.

Some are very sincere, and have come to a conclusion through much thought. However this is certainly the minority in my experience. Most are upset and mad at a deep seated issue. God will mess up their plans to have sex before marriage.. to do whatever it is they want to do, to continue to do questionable things with their non-Christian friends. The list goes on. Not meant to be mean or judge, just in my honest experience.
Hi Friendly,
None of your categories fit myself, nor do they seem to fit most atheists I am familiar with. Based on your entry I suggest you need to do a lot more research. You seem mostly to be out in left field, to use the old baseball expression.
 
Cycel;bt7748 said:
Hi JL, this is my first ever blog response. Honestly, I have never been to this part of the forum before. How does this work? I take it others can read my response? Ah, I just spotted it (16 views). How does it differ from the regular forum and why post here? Never mind; I think I just figured it out. I find that talking to oneself works wonders. :)

I'll be happy to respond. This will take a bit of time, so I will have to get back to you.

Cycel

I look forward to your response.
 
Cycel;bt7754 said:
Hi Friendly,
None of your categories fit myself, nor do they seem to fit most atheists I am familiar with. Based on your entry I suggest you need to do a lot more research. You seem mostly to be out in left field, to use the old baseball expression.

I love baseball. However I think i'd fit better in right field.. *zing. hehe.
Hey this is in my experience, and I've had many discussions, that a certain amount go into deep conversations, and many people admit the things I've mentioned. Perhaps not you. But I would certainly be curious to hear your answer in a friendly way.
 
1. The atheist doesn't want God, because someone they know died a horrible death, and they blame God for it, and the fact that the person who died was a believer, they despise the faith, and anything that reminds them off suffering of someone they loved.

Actually...

People who stop believing in God after they lose a loved one often feel like God isn't watching them, or they feel betrayed by God. They wonder how an all loving God could allow someone to die under certain circumstances. This often leads people to question the existence of a God, and they generally conclude that there is no God at all.

These people don't choose to be atheist because they want to turn from God. They begin to question the validity of an all loving God, and eventually conclude there are no gods at all.

You seem to think the line of logic is as follows: 1. How could God let this happen? I choose to no longer believe in him!

In reality: 1. How could God let this happen? I don't see how an all loving God could exist and allow this to happen. <Slippery slope - They begin questioning other aspects of God> I have concluded that there is no god at all.

2. The Militant atheist, different from the regular atheist. This one has had a hard time fitting into the world, or had a hard time finding a place for God in their lives of sin, so they belittle those who believe in God, as sheep, or people who can't think for themselves.

Often, militant atheist refers to an atheist who is very outspoken. There are many different reasons people become militant atheists.

Your assumption about militant atheists is stupendously wrong.

Most outspoken atheists lead normal lives. They are not generally reclusive or lonely, nor does their lack of belief in God stem from feeling alone.

When you say militant atheists reject God because they can't fit him into their life of sin, I'm assuming you're suggesting these atheists choose not to believe in God because they want to continue sinning.

Nobody chooses to stop believing in God because they want to continue sinning. Choosing not to believe in something doesn't magically make that thing disappear. If a person says they stopped believing in God because they wanted to sin, then they don't really lack belief in him do they?

Imagine a few robbers standing around, "I want to rob this bank, but we'll get arrested... I know! Let's stop believing in cops!"

3. Then there is the high horse scoffer Atheist. They feel that they are so much more enlightened to the world and information around us, that it would be silly to waste their time on the ideas of a "higher power". That knowledge and materialism, and naturalism is able to account for all of creation.

You have this idea that these atheists choose not to believe in God because they feel they don't need God. However, this isn't the root of their disbelief. The root of their disbelief comes from logical conclusions they have drawn.

It is normal for atheists to talk about theism in a condescending manner. Generally, this is because atheists believe the arguments used to support the idea of God are foolish, fallacious, and/or contradict reality.

Some atheists come off as rude because they're frustrated with trying to explain what they perceive to be simple logic to theists, who just can't seem to grasp what they're saying.

And yes, sometimes there are atheists who are jerks. But we have jerks lurking everywhere under the guise of both theist and atheist.

Some are very sincere, and have come to a conclusion through much thought. However this is certainly the minority in my experience.

I find that most atheists, at least those who are outspoken, are very sincere and have come to their conclusions through much thought. I'm curious, where do you generally encounter the atheists you talk to for you to come to the conclusion that most atheists are angry or arrogant?

Most are upset and mad at a deep seated issue. God will mess up their plans to have sex before marriage.. to do whatever it is they want to do, to continue to do questionable things with their non-Christian friends.

Just to remind you, as I stated earlier, atheists don't stop believing in God because they want to sin.

If you sincerely believe there's an all powerful God who will send you to hell for all eternity if you sin, nobody is going to be stupid enough to stop believing in God thinking this will somehow prevent them from going to hell. If you know there's a God, and you simply "choose" not to believe in him, then you're just lying to yourself - and let me tell you, that's almost never the case.

Not meant to be mean or judge, just in my honest experience.

Like Cycel, I've had an entirely different experience talking to atheists.
 
its too long so I will try to post on my blogg if you care to read...