questions about prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

RollinReece

I am trying to understand how prayer is supposed to work. If I am sick I may pray for healing.

My first problem with this is that if it is in God's will to heal me He will, so how should prayer even affect it? It is like I am going against His will already.

Secondly, people at my mom's church have prayer groups that pray for multiple people. It sounds dumb to me to have this done like it is a popularity contest. When the president or pope got shot back in the day, millions of people were praying for them. But, if a homeless person gets sick from eating food out of a dumpster and is dying in an alley unbeknown to anybody else in the world, does the homeless man have as good of a chance to live as the pope?

I have more questions to follow, things that are keeping me from believing.

A

AnandaHya

Prayers should be done while helping others. you can pray using your hands to feed the poor in a local soup kitchen. you can pray for the people all around you. prayer is a conversation with God you must take the time to LISTEN to God's answer. prayer is for us to build faith not to convince God to do things. Prayers are meant to praise and thank God for what He has already done, not what we want Him to do. He gave us salvation and a place in Heaven, what else do we need to ask for? That should be enough.

Miracles are for unbelievers.

Lord, I pray for your children that would make prideful boastful speechs and place stumbling blocks on the little ones who doubt your existence because of their foolishness and vanity. Please Lord forgive them and give them mercy and grace to see that they have sinned and are in need of repentance. Show us Lord your perfect plan for our lives and lead us in your ways. thank you lord for all you have done in our lives, In Jesus name we pray, Amen

YouTube - God's love letter

there is a song that should be singing in your soul. Peace of the Lord keep and save you

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
In order to make yourself strong, dont you need to train hard. God wants you to conquer, he wants you to be a champ over His enemies.
That is one of the reasons why God lets sickness come to us. I have to testify that i have conquered all sickness, He wants you to do the same.
God bless!

I

Ian8383

Hey like the question but don't know the answer, but I know when god heals it is so that his glory can be shown

C

ChaoticStillness

I was the same way until I heard somewhere "God is the judge! Not us, don't try and take his place, pray for what you want, what you need and what you have to have (for he already knows, but God wants a personal relationship, he doesn't NEED our thanks and praise though, just like our mom's don't need a 'mother's day card' but it makes em feel good when we appreciate them, and them feeling good makes us feel good & they love giving us everything we need, either way but sometimes when we're ungrateful it limits what our parents can do cause it won't benefit us, but if we're humble [which means: know thyself] then what good will possibly be denied us! God will only raise us up! Look at the saints) When we ask God for what we need, even though he already knows it, it shows we trust him and we're actually acknowledging that he is control of everything and we are totally relying on him. Plus since it's right to give him thanks and praise, it's also really good for us, cause it makes us happy, cause who doesn't wanna make their parents happy when their parents treat them good and give them everything they need? They say psychologically parents are our first "gods" But thankfully some (parents) actually teach us about the real one, who is perfect, and is love and goodness in of himself, which is the greatest gift from them, i believe we can receive! A bible quote on praying: 20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!” 22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[f] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” *mark 11*

Dec 19, 2009
I am trying to understand how prayer is supposed to work. If I am sick I may pray for healing.

My first problem with this is that if it is in God's will to heal me He will, so how should prayer even affect it? It is like I am going against His will already.

Secondly, people at my mom's church have prayer groups that pray for multiple people. It sounds dumb to me to have this done like it is a popularity contest. When the president or pope got shot back in the day, millions of people were praying for them. But, if a homeless person gets sick from eating food out of a dumpster and is dying in an alley unbeknown to anybody else in the world, does the homeless man have as good of a chance to live as the pope?

I have more questions to follow, things that are keeping me from believing.
Welcome to CC, RollinReece.

I have wondered about the same things you are wondering about. I think the Lord loves homeless people just as much as he loves popes.