Questions/ concerns about Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lovecan

I recently became Christian but I'm having trouble understanding some things. I feel confused and not sure what to think. I would really appreciate some advice!

1) If God loves everyone, then how come only the people who believe in Him are forgiven? And for all those millions of people who die not believing, what happens? What if those "non-believers" were still good hearted, kind people? It doesn't seem fair that anything terrible should happen to them. What does " not being forgiven" actually entail? Does God mention anything of this in the bible?
2) Anyone can call themselves a Christian, or a believer, but does this automatically mean they are forgiven? I would think forgiveness would come from God only if somebody truly feels in their heart what they did was wrong. But I might be wrong. Anyone can call themselves a "Christian" , and I wonder if people who say they are but don't really believe whole-heartedly are still forgiven?
3) If babies are Christened without even understanding what sin is, are they automatically "forgiven"?
4) I don't agree with forcing anybody to believe in something they don't want to believe in. I am the only believer in my family, and others have told me I should try and "convert" them. However, God gave us free will and does not force anything onto us, so why should I be trying to force something onto them against their will? I certainly encourage them to consider church and loooking to God, but i refuse to force anyone to do something they don't want to. I believe God also says do not do unto others what you wouldn't want for yourself. I know I certainly wouldn't want somebody trying to convert me into something i don't believe in.
5) People say Christianity is the " truth". How do you know that? How do you know it's not our own human interpretation that is causing us to think that? Furthmore, every other religion believes their faith is the "truth". You can take one line in the bible, and one person from every religion, and that one line could be interpreted to mean different things by each of those people. I find it sort of intolerant to only think of ourselves as the right ones. For me, i believe it to be the truth because it makes the most sense, but is there only one truth? If others can learn from Christianity, can't we as well learn from other religions? I don't want to put myself up on a pedastle. I am only human.

I don't mean these questions to be rude or disregarding in any way. I am just struggling to understand some things. I understand that as humans, we do not have all the answers. Sometimes things are just the way they are. But if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

My philosophy is" Encourage but don't preach. Love but don't force." Anyone else agree?>

C

charisenexcelcis

Let me try (Reader's Digest version)
1. You have to trust that God wants all to be saved and will do all that can be done, short of taking away their free will to see all come to salvation.
2. It is not the label that you wear that matters. It is your relationship with Christ.
3. There is great evidence in the Bible of some sort of "age of accountability" at which one becomes responsible for relationship with God.
4. You must be responsible to proclaim the good news. This doesn't obligate you to be obnoxious.
5. the most vital things of Truth are easy to read in scripture. The more difficult things come as you gain depth of knowledge. In spite of what may appear around you there are few things that Christians have varient views on. Often these disagreements have more to do with the many facets that are revealed in scripture.
You "motto" is a good starting point, but will probably change with maturity.

G

giantone

Every single person is evil, the Bible says so. Only God is truly good. There are tons of "good" nice people in the world but their goodness is as filthy menstrual rags in comparison to God. If these "good" people without God were to go to Heaven, it wouldn't be heaven because they would be incompatible with God's environment or God. Your right about God not forcing anyone into anything. God wants are hearts not our hands and our good deeds. Infant baptism isn't in the Bible. Christian baptism is being obedient to God. One thing God wants parents to do is teach there children the way they are supposed to go make them go to church till there of age after that they can decide for themselves If you don't do this you are a stupid parent. And this intolerant thing contrary to what Satan would want us to believe Christianity is an exclusive religion, not just any Tom Dick or Larry can get in. One God, one truth. Unless if were gods as well. What your saying about not trying to convert other people (if that’s what your saying) is contrary to grace. And you can't force anyone to become a Christian anyway it just won't work. My brother used to be not a Christian and it took a long time but he's a Christian and not because we made him do it, he knows what he believed in before was a bunch of lies. Do unto others as you would have done unto you. I may not like going to the doctor but I would want them to give me a little pain so I can get better. (I was at the doctor yesterday the nurse poked me and poked me I wanted to leave bad she couldn't get the needle in.)

Law is God prohibiting and requiring; grace is God beseeching and bestowing. Law is a ministry of condemnation; grace, of forgiveness. Law curses; grace redeems from that curse. Law kills; grace makes alive. Law shuts every mouth before God; grace opens every mouth to praise Him. Law puts a great and guilty distance between man and God; grace makes guilty man nigh to God. Law says, "An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"; grace says, "Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." Law says, "Hate thine enemy"; grace says, "Love your enemies, bless them that despitefully use you." Law says, do and live; grace says, believe and live. Law never had a missionary; grace is to be preached to every creature. Law utterly condemns the best man; grace freely justifies the worst (Luke 23:43; Rom. 5:8; ! Tim 1:15; 1 Cor. 6:9-11). Law is a system of probation; grace, of favor. Law stones an adulteress; grace says, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." Under law the sheep dies for the shepherd: under grace the Shepherd dies for the sheep.

M

MaggieMye

1) If God loves everyone, then how come only the people who believe in Him are forgiven? He gives a choice to believe and obey. While He loves all of us, He will only forgive those who sincerely ASK Him to forgive....therefore establishing a relationship between Him and the 'asker'. You will not fine in His word that He obligates Himself to forgive some one just because they breath. And for all those millions of people who die not believing, what happens? They spend eternity in hell, separated from those they love and God who loved them the most.What if those "non-believers" were still good hearted, kind people? His word tells us that even the evil can be good or be kind if it suits their purposes and that even they love their children and given good gifts to them. But salvation and entrance to the Kingdom of Heaven is based on obedience to His written word and relationship with Him....based on BELIEVING. Only those that truly believe what His word says....ask and receive forgiveness can be forgiven. It doesn't seem fair that anything terrible should happen to them. It is very fair because He lays down His mandates in His word and all of mankind has a CHOICE to believe or not, to obey or not. What does " not being forgiven" actually entail? Hell Does God mention anything of this in the bible? Absolutely!! The Bible is a spiritual book and especially in the OT, many of the historical accounts are also metaphors for what took place in the spiritual realm.
2) Anyone can call themselves a Christian, or a believer, but does this automatically mean they are forgiven? Anyone can call themselves a Christian. But that doesn't make them one. I could call myself a car...and even stand in the garage, but that doesn't make me a car. There are many people that go to church but do not have a relationship with Jesus. They know ABOUT Him, but do not know Him personally as their LORD and Savior. I would think forgiveness would come from God only if somebody truly feels in their heart what they did was wrong. Right. God KNOWS the heart of a person and knows if they are sincere in their repentance. But I might be wrong. Anyone can call themselves a "Christian" , and I wonder if people who say they are but don't really believe whole-heartedly are still forgiven? No, they are not. They don't even sincerely ask Him to forgive them.
3) If babies are Christened without even understanding what sin is, are they automatically "forgiven"? Baby baptism is not Biblical. They are to be dedicated. There is an 'age of accountability', which many believe to be somewhere between the ages of 8 and 12...scripture is not specific...but when a child is old enough to know right from wrong and to understand the sacrifice made by Christ on their behalf....then they become responsible for their own relationship with Him. Children not old enough to comprehend are given grace to enter the kingdom of Heaven should Satan cause them to die before reaching the age of accountability.
4) I don't agree with forcing anybody to believe in something they don't want to believe in. No one can force another person to believe in anything. They might force a person to SAY they believe, but ...again...God knows the heart. I am the only believer in my family, and others have told me I should try and "convert" them. Better to show them by EXAMPLE...living your life righteously and giving honor, praise and glory to Him and His Holy Name. Do NOT try to convert them!! They most likely will receive it as if you are shoving 'religion' down their throats. Just LOVE them and if they do ask you questions, show them in scritpure the answers. If you can't find answers for them....you could ask on this site or ask the person that led you to Christ. God gave us free will and does not force anything onto us, so why should I be trying to force something onto them against their will?You shouldn't. IMO...it is immature, though zealous Christians that encourage a new believe to 'convert' family members. Just lead by example. I certainly encourage them to consider church and looking to God, but i refuse to force anyone to do something they don't want to. I believe God also says do not do unto others what you wouldn't want for yourself. I know I certainly wouldn't want somebody trying to convert me into something i don't believe in. Right! But you SHOULD be praying for each family member daily...asking God to enlighten the eyes of their understanding, giving them ears to hear, eyes to see and hearts to receive Him and His truth. Pray Eph 1:17-21 and 3:17-21 for yourself and them. Ask God for their souls for the Kingdom.
5) People say Christianity is the " truth". How do you know that? How do you know it's not our own human interpretation that is causing us to think that? Asking that makes me think that you have quite a lot of doubt! Creator...God...is the Creator of ALL...including the spiritual entities that also claim godship. Whom would you rather serve? The creatED or the CreatOR?? Start by reading the book of John, and then go to Genesis. Mix in some Proverbs for wisdom on how to live your life, and also Psalms....it's a book of prophecy, not poetry as man believe. Furthmore, every other religion believes their faith is the "truth". You can take one line in the bible, and one person from every religion, and that one line could be interpreted to mean different things by each of those people. Just read it for what it says. Interpretation belongs to the Lord, not people.I find it sort of intolerant to only think of ourselves as the right ones. Jesus tells us in scripture that HE is the ONLY way to the Father and only way into the Kingdom of Heaven. He says "I am the Way, the Truth and the Light". Without understanding the God came to earth in the form of man to pay the price of our sins Himself, as Jesus,...there is NO way to heaven, no truth and no light or relevelation. For me, i believe it to be the truth because it makes the most sense, but is there only one truth? There can only BE one truth. How could there be more than one since one would negate any other?? If others can learn from Christianity, can't we as well learn from other religions? We can learn about what they believe (not recommended for anyone not having a good working knowledge of the written word of God). Keep your eyes on Jesus, get to know His word. That way, when you do come across other beliefs, you will be able to recognize the deception that they've bought into. I don't want to put myself up on a pedastle. I am only human.

I don't mean these questions to be rude or disregarding in any way. I am just struggling to understand some things. I understand that as humans, we do not have all the answers. It is the Glory of God to conceal a matter. It is the glory of kings to search it out. We are all joint heirs with Christ, the King of Kings, to the kingdom of Heaven....search it out!!Sometimes things are just the way they are. But if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

My philosophy is" Encourage but don't preach. Love but don't force." Anyone else agree? Oh yeah! Live by example...always asking yourself "does what I say and what I do line up with the CHARACTER of God?? See Gal 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (Patience), gentleness, goodness, faith," These things are His 'Character'.
Does that help??
Maggie​

Status
Not open for further replies.