Quieting my spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

savedandhopeful

I hear this phrase a lot when people talk about their daily time with God....but what exactly does it mean? And his do I learn to do this? I want to have a daily quiet /devotional time, but I am just not sure how to start....( I apologize if there is already a thread for this)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Psalm 46:10) Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Quiet time apart from the cares of the world is more than a good idea, it is essential for Christians. This quality time spent with God is the time He uses to "quiet" the raging world, and all of it's distractions in our spirits.

Starting is no harder than taking that first step. Pick a moment and say........I am setting aside the next (insert amount of time) to spend with my God. In prayer, in reading His Word, and most importantly, LISTENING to Him.

Just do it!

Even Jesus Christ had "alone" time with God the Father, and more than once. The best example of this is found in the 17th Chapter of John.

God bless

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
For me, I just started by reading His word. From there, I started taking time to talk to Him (pray). From there, I took time to worship Him.

Basically, focus on quality, not quantity. So, if you read one verse, that is fine. You don't have to read a chapter. The important thing is that you read the verse, not just read the verse, you know? :) Take the time to really understand what you're reading and to ask God how He wants it applied to your life in that moment.

Eventually, you will not be able to help yourself. You will want to talk with Him, so you will pray. You will want to praise Him, so you will worship. Have songs ready so you don't waste time finding some. You don't need music, per se, but sometimes it's good to have.

Find some godly Bible studies you can do with friends or family or by yourself. If you take five minutes or three hours, it matters not, so long as you take that time. Quality over quantity. The time doesn't matter. Most people think, "I have to get such and such amount of time in in order for it to be valid." Nope. Some days, you won't want to stop. Other days, it may only be 15 minutes. It's the heart that matters. :) Being fully vested, fully there, with Him, in that moment, however long or short it may be that day.

S

savedandhopeful

Thank you both

Oct 12, 2013
I hear this phrase a lot when people talk about their daily time with God....but what exactly does it mean? And his do I learn to do this? I want to have a daily quiet /devotional time, but I am just not sure how to start....( I apologize if there is already a thread for this)
That is a good question.
There is a Christian meditation called "How your mind can keep you well. You can get it at amazon or at fhu.com.

S

savedandhopeful

Thanks Chatter

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
That is a good question.
There is a Christian meditation called "How your mind can keep you well. You can get it at amazon or at fhu.com.
Hey, I got a book on how God can keep you well. It's a swell read, AND you can probably get it at Amazon too!

Cool huh?

Oh, you might need to know the title if you want to order it...........The Holy Bible

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As another said, be still and know that I am God. :)
Lots of good advise, just wanted to witness in agreement.
I will add, when you are able to trust in faith, that everything is in God's hand and is His creation.
Then trust everything, no matter what, :) to His care, this is where freedom and peace is found. :)

Hugs and God bless
pickles