Re "THE LORD'S PRAYER"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JHM

No comments here either eh ?

S

StandStrong

so what exactly are you asking?

may i ask you a question. When you read each translation do you find that they all say the same thing? are they all talking about the same thing and within the original context? if not then which speaks to you the loudest?

Me personally i like the kjv and the nkjv

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
No comments here either eh ?
Guess not, eh?
But you gotta love it when people start out a conversation declaring their own greatness, eh?

J

JHM

If you read that thread, you would know that GOD doesn't "TEMPT" anybody. Yet the King Jimmy says to "Our Father who art in heaven" -- "Lead us not into temptation" -- so which "Father" in heaven are you praying to ? GOD or The Devil ?

Re which versions of the Bible I find most accurate : 1) The Jerusalem Bible, 2) The New Revised Standard Version, 3) The Darby Translation in that order.

Last edited by a moderator:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If you read that thread, you would know that GOD doesn't "TEMPT" anybody. Yet the King Jimmy says to "Our Father who art in heaven" -- "Lead us not into temptation" -- so which "Father" in heaven are you praying to ? GOD or The Devil ?
1 Corinthians 10:13
" but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able "

if i'm your cab driver and we pass a billboard advertising some salacious widgets, did i tempt you or did the billboard? did the route i chose that lead you by the billboard? did the widgetworks that advertises on that billboard because they knew a lot of cars went by on that road? did the temptation arise out of the lust of your own heart and neither i, the route, the billboard, nor the widgetworks is ultimately to blame?

sure, James 1:13-14 makes clear if anyone thinks God is doing the tempting. but i don't think you are understanding the archaic English correctly if you think "lead us not into temptation" means the same thing as "do not tempt us" --
the meaning is closer to that in Proverbs 30:8, "remove far from me vanity and lies"

i.e.
"cabby, please take a different route if it's possible"

Oct 16, 2013
Saint Gregory of Nyssa Five.Homilies on The Lord's Prayer

Homily 1 - Why we pray
(http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Lord%27s%20Prayer/1.%20Nature%20of%20Prayer.pdf)

"The present gathering needs to learn not only how to pray but that we must, by all means, pray. Perhaps, this has not yet been understood by many. For many in daily life have neglected and passed over this sacred and divine work of prayer. ..."

Homily 2 - Our Father Who Are In Heaven(http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Lord%27s%20Prayer/2.%20Our%20Father.pdf)

"Do you see how much preparation we need? What quality of life? How much and what kind of diligence in order that our conscience rise to that level of confidence to dare address God as "Father?..."

Homily 3 - Hallowed Be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom Come(http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Lord%27s%20Prayer/3.%20Hallowed%20Be.pdf)

"Therefore, when I pray saving "Hallowed be Thy Name," the meaning of these words apply to me actualizing God's blessings. Lord, through the cooperation of Your help, may I become blameless, just and pious...."

Homily 4 Thy Will Be Done... Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread (http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Lord's Prayer/4.ThyWill.pdf)

"When therefore we stand to say to God "Thy Will be done also in me," it is entirely necessary first to condemn that manner of conduct which is lived outside the divine will and to fully own up to it in confession....

Homily 5 Forgive Us Our Debts As We Forgive Our Debtors... (http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Lord's Prayer/5. Forgive Us.pdf)

"Do you see to what greatness the Lord exalts those who hear Him through the words of the prayer? He transforms human nature in some way to be closer to the divine..."

St. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM: HOMILY 19 ON ST. MATTHEW: On the Lord's Prayer

The teachings of St. John Cassian on Lord's Prayer

"...when we say to him: 'Hallowed be thy name,' we are saying in other words: Make us such, Father, that we may deserve to understand and grasp how great your hallowing is and, of course, that you may appear as hallowed in our spiritual way of life. This is effectively fulfilled in us when 'people see our good works and glorify our Father who is in heaven.'"

Everything alse u can find on this page Lord's Prayer.

Glory to the God for all things!