Reading for discipleship/deep dive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hamarr

I heartily concur that reading the Bible daily is the way to go!

Do find a modern translation that you can understand! I read Hebrew and Greek, and they are all good versions, except for maybe the paraphrases, like The Message.

Modern versions are based on a huge collection of the earliest and best manuscripts. Older versions, like KJV were based on 7 corrupted 15th century manuscripts, to say nothing of the fact that we don't speak 1600s English, anymore.

I'm not home, but if you want to read some excellent books on discipleship, anything by Dallas Willard or Richard Foster are great. I have a lot more I can pass onto you, whenever we stop enjoying the sand and beaches in Oregon and head north back to Canada.

Thanks a lot for this. I remember reading about the manuscripts years ago. I butted heads with some KJV only types back then. I am using the NIV version for now. I kind of miss the more poetic language of KJV but NIV is an easy read.

Thanks for the recommendations on books. I’ll check some out. I’ve been slowly making my way through Genesis. I’m going to go cover to cover as suggested by some in this thread. I’m doing some other daily devotional reading as well.