Rebuke in Love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tombo

What does this mean?
To me it means rebuking someone with a view to bringing them back to the truth, realizing that we all make mistakes and are prone to stumbling. If we are not correcting/admonishing/rebuking someone in a spirit of love, it is not of God. God rebukes and corrects us because He love us, not to hurt or destroy us. We should have the same attitude. As for me, I know from where I came from before God had mercy on me. How can I not (if I have to) correct or rebuke in love?!!
I don't like to be in any kind of argument or disagreement, but somethimes we have to rebuke or correct to defend the truth of God's word. May I never let a rebuke or correction turn into an argument just to prove I'm right. God forbid it!!!! If I've seemed that way to any, forgive me.
God bless.

Tom

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Just as it says, to rebuke in love.
Not in pride.
Not in condemnation.
Not in needless debates or self, but with compassion.
In the love of Jesus, for the salvation, sake of the one that needs, with a humble heart and in all truth.
With sober judgement, compleatly in Jesus.
Easyest to simply say, rebuke in the love of Jesus!

God bless
pickles

J

jkalyna

What does this mean?
WHAT THIS PERSONALLY MEANS TO ME IS, THE GREATEST VERSE ON HOW TO GET ALONG IS; NOTHING SHALL OFFEND THE GODLY. STUDYING THE BIBLE IS LIKE FILLING A GLASS OF WATER AND NOT ENJOYING IT, OR SHARING IT. TO KNOW IT FROM COVER TO COVER AND NOT ACT, IS FRUITLESS. FIGHTING FIRE WITH FIRE STARTS A BIGGER FIRE, BUT THE WISE IN THE LORD, REACT ON THIS SCRIPTURE; NOTHING SHALL OFFEND THE GODLY. LIKE WATER OFF A DUCK, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. JAMES; HE WHO OFFENDS NOT IN WORD IS A PERFECT MAN. BIBLE TIME TO STUDY.:p:rolleyes::D

C

Crossfire

Just as it says, to rebuke in love.
Not in pride.
Not in condemnation.
Not in needless debates or self, but with compassion.
In the love of Jesus, for the salvation, sake of the one that needs, with a humble heart and in all truth.
With sober judgement, compleatly in Jesus.
Easyest to simply say, rebuke in the love of Jesus!

God bless
pickles

Amen Pickles, which is why the vast majority of those doing the 'rebuking' have no business doing so. Most are simply attempting to combat doctrine contrary to their own beliefs with more doctrine. While there might be a little or even a lot of truth found in what they are attempting to share, they are doing so out of wrong spirit and it does nothing but cause problems. Knowledge without wisdom is useless. You can obtain knowledge from any number of sources but true wisdom comes from the Lord.

There are a handful truly anointed people to be found on these forums. They are few but they are here and, believe it or not, they don't always agree with one another. However, it's obvious to tell, even in type, that these people do sincerely walk with the Lord on a daily basis.

C

Crossfire

WHAT THIS PERSONALLY MEANS TO ME IS, THE GREATEST VERSE ON HOW TO GET ALONG IS; NOTHING SHALL OFFEND THE GODLY. STUDYING THE BIBLE IS LIKE FILLING A GLASS OF WATER AND NOT ENJOYING IT, OR SHARING IT. TO KNOW IT FROM COVER TO COVER AND NOT ACT, IS FRUITLESS. FIGHTING FIRE WITH FIRE STARTS A BIGGER FIRE, BUT THE WISE IN THE LORD, REACT ON THIS SCRIPTURE; NOTHING SHALL OFFEND THE GODLY. LIKE WATER OFF A DUCK, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. JAMES; HE WHO OFFENDS NOT IN WORD IS A PERFECT MAN. BIBLE TIME TO STUDY.:p:rolleyes::D
Very nicely put. :)

A

Abiding

The most needed rebuke ive ever gotten was from a pastor
who i think didnt get ample sleep the night before. Some would
say he wasnt very polite. Did he love me? Yes he did. Did he help me?
Yes it changed my life. Was he cuddly and fuzzy? I spose not. :)

I rekon a new thread is due again on what love is,and what love isnt.

C

Crossfire

The most needed rebuke ive ever gotten was from a pastor
who i think didnt get ample sleep the night before. Some would
say he wasnt very polite. Did he love me? Yes he did. Did he help me?
Yes it changed my life. Was he cuddly and fuzzy? I spose not. :)

I rekon a new thread is due again on what love is,and what love isnt.
Many here claim to 'love' but it is very apparent by their actions that they're not being led by the Holy Spirit. Believe it or not, there are times when the Holy Spirit will tell you to remain quiet concerning a situation even though you are absolutely certain that you are right simply because the other person may not be mature enough spiritually to handle a greater truth.

I'll be the first to admit their have been times I have let my flesh get the best of me, and I'm sure that if everyone is truly honest, they can say the same. I'm certain there are many here who don't think much of me because of those times I let my flesh get the best of me but that doesn't give me an excuse to continue to act according to the flesh. Nor do I have the right to automatically dismiss everything someone else has to say because they have allowed their flesh to get the best of them as well. There are many here with whom I have had disagreements with in the past who I do see progressive spiritual growth in their lives thus I'm more than willing to take what they say into consideration, even when I may not agree with them. We should all be willing to do the same.

The simple truth is that many here aspire to preach, teach, etc. and that might very well be God's calling on their lives however, it's obvious that they are far from the knowledge, wisdom and maturity to fulfill the call at this time. That doesn't mean we should tell them to sit down and shut up and let the 'grown ups' do the talking. That attitude isn't mature at all. We should read what they have to say and do our best to supply them with information and possible instruction that might help them grow. More than likely, out of their immaturity, they will reject you but at least now they are aware of a different perspective and their need to search the scriptures to be sure that they are indeed right. Of course, there are some who will oppose you regardless and it is those we should avoid for the sake others on this website.

Regardless, we should always point toward Jesus and how to build right relationship with Him because if they do this then the Lord will set them straight personally and I would much rather they listen to the Lord than men anyday. :)

Last edited:

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Amen Pickles, which is why the vast majority of those doing the 'rebuking' have no business doing so. Most are simply attempting to combat doctrine contrary to their own beliefs with more doctrine. While there might be a little or even a lot of truth found in what they are attempting to share, they are doing so out of wrong spirit and it does nothing but cause problems. Knowledge without wisdom is useless. You can obtain knowledge from any number of sources but true wisdom comes from the Lord.

There are a handful truly anointed people to be found on these forums. They are few but they are here and, believe it or not, they don't always agree with one another. However, it's obvious to tell, even in type, that these people do sincerely walk with the Lord on a daily basis.
One must remember though, we all fail, this is why Jesus took the cross for every one .
One of the final words of Jesus on the cross were, " Father forgive them, for they know not what they do. "
This is the truth we need to always keep in heart, that we do not know what we do.
So many tmes I thought I was doing what was good, only in time, and by instruction and chastisement by Jesus, God Our Father, did I have my eyes opened to my failiur , sin.
Every person is a work in progress in Jesus, and each is His work to be brought to compleation.
So , if we each try to keep this in mind, when one sees another that is not correct, consider the need of correction.
Is one led in Jesus to correct, or , is the witness what matters so no one will be decieved, sometimes as well one needs to be understanding in Jesus, trusting the correction to Him.
The love of Jesus is what brings the disernment one should rest in when considering correction.
I know that it was the patience of others in Jesus that brought the truth in me, simply because they showed patience and understanding in holding correction.
And the love of Jesus when they corrected.
For we all need to see, that Jesus will bring His work to compleation in us.
If one desires to know how to correct in Jesus, they need to also be willing to recieve correction equally in Jesus.

Funny how we all keep trying to know everything about how and why, when we cannot hold it all or know it all, that is why Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life!
Because we cannot rest in our understanding or knowladge, only in Jesus and His guiding hand.

God bless
pickles

A

Abiding

Many here claim to 'love' but it is very apparent by their actions that they're not being led by the Holy Spirit. Believe it or not, there are times when the Holy Spirit will tell you to remain quiet concerning a situation even though you are absolutely certain that you are right simply because the other person may not be mature enough spiritually to handle a greater truth.

I'll be the first to admit their have been times I have let my flesh get the best of me, and I'm sure that if everyone is truly honest, they can say the same. I'm certain there are many here who don't think much of me because of those times I let my flesh get the best of me but that doesn't give me an excuse to continue to act according to the flesh. Nor do I have the right to automatically dismiss everything someone else has to say because they have allowed their flesh to get the best of them as well. There are many here with whom I have had disagreements with in the past who I do see progressive spiritual growth in their lives thus I'm more than willing to take what they say into consideration, even when I may not agree with them. We should all be willing to do the same.

The simple truth is that many here aspire to preach, teach, etc. and that might very well be God's calling on their lives however, it's obvious that they are far from the knowledge, wisdom and maturity to fulfill the call at this time. That doesn't mean we should tell them to sit down and shut up and let the 'grown ups' do the talking. That attitude isn't mature at all. We should read what they have to say and do our best to supply them with information and possible instruction that might help them grow. More than likely, out of their immaturity, they will reject you but at least now they are aware of a different perspective and their need to search the scriptures to be sure that they are indeed right. Of course, there are some who will oppose you regardless and it is those we should avoid for the sake others on this website.

Regardless, we should always point toward Jesus and how to build right relationship with Him because if they do this then the Lord will set them straight personally and I would much rather they listen to the Lord than men anyday. :)
Very good stuff. Well said.:)

A

Abiding

One must remember though, we all fail, this is why Jesus took the cross for every one .
One of the final words of Jesus on the cross were, " Father forgive them, for they know not what they do. "
This is the truth we need to always keep in heart, that we do not know what we do.
So many tmes I thought I was doing what was good, only in time, and by instruction and chastisement by Jesus, God Our Father, did I have my eyes opened to my failiur , sin.
Every person is a work in progress in Jesus, and each is His work to be brought to compleation.
So , if we each try to keep this in mind, when one sees another that is not correct, consider the need of correction.
Is one led in Jesus to correct, or , is the witness what matters so no one will be decieved, sometimes as well one needs to be understanding in Jesus, trusting the correction to Him.
The love of Jesus is what brings the disernment one should rest in when considering correction.
I know that it was the patience of others in Jesus that brought the truth in me, simply because they showed patience and understanding in holding correction.
And the love of Jesus when they corrected.
For we all need to see, that Jesus will bring His work to compleation in us.
If one desires to know how to correct in Jesus, they need to also be willing to recieve correction equally in Jesus.

Funny how we all keep trying to know everything about how and why, when we cannot hold it all or know it all, that is why Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life!
Because we cannot rest in our understanding or knowladge, only in Jesus and His guiding hand.

God bless
pickles
Pickles as always you say things in such a way to touch me deep. ty :)

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
Everybody wants discernment but nobody wants correction.

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
And it is scripture that rebukes. Not a man.

C

Crossfire

Pickles as always you say things in such a way to touch me deep. ty :)
Amen. Pickles is a good example of the anointed ones I refer to earlier. While she might not have a doctorate in theology or some other degree, I believe we all can testify that her words reveal the words / heart / will of the Lord. She is proof that true Godly wisdom can only come from walking in the Lord's presence.

A

Abiding

Everybody wants discernment but nobody wants correction.
I dont understand. Discernment enlightens and therefore gives way to correction.
Or should i say correction cant be done without discernment. Hmmmmmm

Maybe this is a rant, meaning your hurt. Possibly hurt by someone who corrected
you and said he or she had discernment. Is that it?

"Everybody" and "nobody".....see thats the give away.

J

jkalyna

:):) your so tremendously totally sweet. THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE, I BLESS YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS AND BE STRONGE ENCOURAGE YOURSELF AND I SEND THE 91 PSALM YOUR WAY, YOU WERE SO KIND TO SAY NICE THINGS TO ME. I WISH EVERYONE AT CC WERE LIKE YOU. YOUR LOVABLE. GOD'S BLESSING TO YOU. KALYNA:):):):D:p:p:)

J

jkalyna

I dont understand. Discernment enlightens and therefore gives way to correction.
Or should i say correction cant be done without discernment. Hmmmmmm

Maybe this is a rant, meaning your hurt. Possibly hurt by someone who corrected
you and said he or she had discernment. Is that it?

"Everybody" and "nobody".....see thats the give away.
:):) WELL HEYA ABIDING DISERNMENT AND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME IS THIS. HIT THE ROAD, IF ITS NOT OF THE LORD, YOU DON'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT INTO IT. :rolleyes:

J

jkalyna

NO!...both, too many clear scriptures to even have to bother
proving that.
[/B]
:p WHERES THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS, IF YOU REBUKE A FOOL HE WILL HATE YOU FOR IT. PROVERBS ALSO SAYS HOLD THY PEACE IN THE PRESENCE OF WICKED MEN. :D