Relying on your own strength

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
I can recall many times when I struggled with problems and at the end of the day after falling through on a commitment yet again I would think to myself...gosh where did I go wrong? Why did I get angry? Why did I lose my patience? Where was my self control? I would brush it all aside and think I need to try harder I will work harder and I will overcome it!

What's wrong with this picture? I see I's and me's and centering the whole issue on myself. I am capable if I AM strong enough I can overcome it IF I PUT MORE WORK INTO IT I can! I, I I I I I I I ! Where does God fit into this I equation? HE DOESN'T!

Drawing strength from ourselves is almost like taking water from a vase or a bottle or a jug. Eventually we run out of water eventually there will be no water left when we need it. Why is it then that we as human beings focus on our strenghts on what WE can do as opposed to what God can do. Because relying on God to change you and not yourself, would be like getting this water from a fountain where as long as you're there daily or hourly or whenever you need it, you will never be lacking in water.

I guess what my goofy metaphor is saying is that I used to struggle alot with personal problems and would suggest the "cure" was to TRY HARDER that I COULD DO IT IF I TRIED HARD ENOUGH! However this mentality took Christ completely out of the equation. Looking at things today as a wiser a little tiny bit more mature individual I hope that I can pass on the message to never rely on your own strength but instead put all your worries and troubles in God's hands with faith and trust and transparency and he will be your strength. His power is perfected in our weakness, His grace is enough! We need to take these scriptures and truths to heart and truly rely on God more