Rome-V-Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 2, 2011
You cannot argue the bible. To argue the bible is calling God a liar.

Look these up in the bible as well as the Catechism and see for yourself.

God is in charge, not man.

Not arguing the Bible, rather saying that one verse does not a theology make, nor does it
reveal LOGOS, REASON, NATURAL LAW.
Don't be on shallow or weedy ground here. We
need to look at the entire doctrine and it's doctrinal root and basis. Again, it is much deeper
that 'one verse'. Think it through. It is NOT name-it, claim-it, not 'saved' or 'get saved',
not 'Once Saved-Always Saved' (OSAS), not Greasy Grace, blood, death, cross and etc.

The Bible is much richer (Deeper/fuller) than you allow for in posting one verse answers is all.

Adrianv125

Jan 17, 2011
Actually, I've been blessed to visit a large variety of church groups. Pentacostals, evangelicals, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, house churches, CMA, and many others. While the love of the Scriptures is evident in all of them, the Catholic Church makes more use of Scripture and is more Scripturally sound than any of the others.
Ok, now I'm really worried for you. But I will leave you alone in your world were you don't want to open your eyes to the truth when it is right in your face.

S

Scotth1960

Ok, now I'm really worried for you. But I will leave you alone in your world were you don't want to open your eyes to the truth when it is right in your face.
The papal church of Rome was the Western patriarch of the true Catholic Church until it began rejecting the teaching of Jesus Christ in John 15:26 and substituting the earthly temporal power of the Roman papacy to change (develop) doctrine and to rule over the whole inhabited earth "in the name of Christ" (sic), with the power to interfere in earthly, temporal governments, allegedly. Something St. Peter himself never did. St. Peter had true catholic faith. St. Peter didn't do all of strange things some later popes of Rome after 1014 AD started doing, including the CRUSADES and the INQUISITION.

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
I used to believe that the Catholic Church was the "mother of harlots" and the "great whore" spoken of in Revelation. In fact, I tried to desperately save my friends from Catholicism. But through the grace of God, I was shown that what I thought the Catholic Church taught, was not what it really taught. When I studied what the Church actually taught, and compared it to Scriptures, I realized that I was the one in error and that the Church was indeed the "pillar and foundation of truth." as promised in Scriptures. :)

S

Scotth1960

I used to believe that the Catholic Church was the "mother of harlots" and the "great whore" spoken of in Revelation. In fact, I tried to desperately save my friends from Catholicism. But through the grace of God, I was shown that what I thought the Catholic Church taught, was not what it really taught. When I studied what the Church actually taught, and compared it to Scriptures, I realized that I was the one in error and that the Church was indeed the "pillar and foundation of truth." as promised in Scriptures. :)
Dear dscherck, Apparently you studied many Scriptures, since Catholicism is correct in some of its doctrines. But you didn't study everything, or you would have rejected purgatory, papal indulgences, papal infallibility, the immaculate conception of Mary, Mary as co-redemptrix, the sacred heart of Jesus, the immaculate heart of Mary, and above all, one things all Roman Catholic MISUNDERSTAND is John 15:26, for they still insist on FILIOQUE. Thomas Aquinas taught the HERESY that to believe in the FILIOQUE is necessary for salvation. And the heresy that to submit to the pope of Rome is necessary for salvation. That's the false doctrine of pope Boniface VIII. If you study Church history, you will find the anathemas placed by the Eastern Orthodox Church against the FILIOQUE are indeed justified by the words of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in JOHN 15:26. GOD BLESS YOU. In Erie PA USA Scott R. Harrington

May 21, 2009
Please don't be offended by what I write. This is based on scripture, which is the word of God. I'm trying to share this with you.

Authority

The Bible teaches Scripture has authority over the church. All Scripture is God-Breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16)

Catholicism teaches the church has authority over Scriptures. The manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgement of the church...to the pope and to the Bishops. (Catechism 100, 119)

Justification

The Bible teaches man is justified once by faith because justification provides a permanent right standing before God and results in glorification (Romans 8:30). To the man who does not work, but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness (Romans 4:5)

Catholicism teaches man is to be justified repeatedly by Sacraments and works because he loses the grace of justification each time a mortal sin is committed. The sacrament of Penance offers a new possibility to convert and to recover the grace of Justification (Catechism 1446)

Regeneration

The Bible teaches man is regenerated at the baptism of the spirit. For we were all baptized by one spirit into one body (1 Cor 12:13). From the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the spirit and through belief in the truth (2 Thes 2:13)

Catholicism teaches baptism of water is the sacrament of regeneration (Catechism 1213), The water of baptism truly signifies our birth into the divine life (Catechism 694).

Salvation

The Bible
teaches man is saved by God's unmerited Grace. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast (Eph 2:8-9)

Catholicism teaches man is saved by meriting the graces needed for salvation. We can merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for the attainment of eternal life (Catechism 2010)

The Bible teaches man is saved for good works (fruits given to us). For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Eph 2:10)

Catholicism teaches man is saved by good works. In this way they attain their own salvation and cooperate in saving their brothers (Catechism 1477)

The Bible teaches man is saved for all eternity. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance. (Eph 1:13-14)

Catholicism teaches man is saved only until the next mortal sin is committed. Those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell (Catechism 1035)

The Bible teaches salvation is offered to those outside the church. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors as though God were making his appeal through us, be reconciled to God. (2 Cor 5:20)

Catholicism teaches salvation is offered through the church. Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the church is necessary for salvation. Anyone refusing to enter it or remain in it cannot be saved. (Catechism 846)

The Bible teaches that all sins are purified by the blood of Jesus (1 John 1:7)

Catholicism teaches some sins are purified by the fires of purgatory. They undergo purification in Purgatory, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven (Catechism 1030-31)

Saints & Priests

The Bible teaches man becomes a saint when the spirit baptizes him into the body of Christ. (Eph 4:11-12)

Catholicism teaches man becomes a saint only if the pope canonizes him. This occurs when he solemnly proclaims that they practiced a heroic virtue and lived in fidelity to God's grace (Catechism 828)

The Bible teaches every christian is a priest and a member of the royal priesthood (1 Peter 2:9)

Catholicism teaches every man needs a priest for salvation. Catholic priests guarantee that Christ is acting in the sacraments which are necessary for salvation (Catechism 1120-29)

The Lord's Supper

The Bible teaches the Lord's supper is a memorial. Do this in remembrance of me. (1 Cor 11:24-25)

Catholicism teaches the Lord's supper is a sacrifice. The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice... the same Christ who offered Himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and offered in an unbloody manner (Catechism 1367)

The Bible teaches that believers receive Jesus once, spiritually, in the heart. God... put his spirit in our hearts as a guarantee (2 Cor 1:22)

Catholicism teaches Catholics receive Jesus physically, frequently, in the stomach. The body, blood... soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ... is truly, really and substantially contained in the Eucharist (Catechism 1374-78)

Condemnation

The Bible condemns anyone who perverts the Gospel including the Roman Catholic Clergy. If we or an angel from heaven should preach a Gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! (Gal 1:6-9)

Catholicism condemns with over 100 anathemas those who believe the bible instead of the Canons of the Council of Trent. These condemnations are still in effect today.

These thirteen teachings of Roman Catholicism demonstrate how the traditions of men can nullify and oppose the word of God (Mark 7:7-13 - And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.... For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men...All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition...)

True saving faith is granted by God as people hear and believe His Word (Romans 10:17). Eternal life can be received only as a gift of God's grace, through faith in Jesus Christ. Accordingly, we must come to the cross of Christ with empty hands of faith, leaving everything behind, except our sins (2 Cor 5:21)

Head of The Church

The Bible: "He has put all things under Christ's feet and made Him, thus exalted, head of the church" (Ephesians 1:22-23)

Catechism:
t eaches that the Pope "by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire church has full, supreme and universal power over the whole church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered" (Catechism: 882)
He exercises infallibility when "he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals" (Catechism: 891)

Salvation Rejected Is Hell

The Bible: "Those who do not acknowledge God nor heed the good news of our Lord Jesus...will suffer the penalty of eternal ruin" (2 Thess 1:8-9 - "in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power")

Catechism:
teaches that "immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer...eternal fire" (Catechism: 1035)

The Lord Jesus said if you reject HIS word you are rejecting HIM (John 12:48 - He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day)

The Bible reveals man is saved, not by what he does, but by believing the Gospel (Ephesians 1:13 - In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise..) Any religion that teaches that salvation is obtained through human effort and merit is nullifying the grace of God. Grace is the only means by which God saves sinners! (Romans 11:6 - If by grace, it is no longer because of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace)

Some people blindly put their faith in religious leaders, assuming their leaders would never deceive anyone. Yet the Apostle Paul warned that (Acts 20:30 - from your own church, men will arise perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them"). Other people simply ignore God's word and listen to teachers who say what they want to hear (2 Timothy 4:2-4 - For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables). Then there are the people who have a zeal for God, but not according to biblical knowledge (Romans 10:1-4).

.....Questions.....

* Are you sure of going to heaven when you die? - Catholic teaching states that anyone who claims to have assurance of salvation through God's power or mercy has committed the sin of presumption (Catechism: 2092)

* Do you know what God's righteous justice demands for all sin? - Catholic teaching states venial sins do not bring death to the soul or eternal punishment (Catechism: 1472)

* Do you believe purgatory purifies you of your sin? - This belief denies the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice for the expiation of sin (Catechism: 1473)

Preach it!!!! Thank you!!!

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
Not arguing the Bible, rather saying that one verse does not a theology make, nor does it
reveal LOGOS, REASON, NATURAL LAW.
Don't be on shallow or weedy ground here. We
need to look at the entire doctrine and it's doctrinal root and basis. Again, it is much deeper
that 'one verse'. Think it through. It is NOT name-it, claim-it, not 'saved' or 'get saved',
not 'Once Saved-Always Saved' (OSAS), not Greasy Grace, blood, death, cross and etc.

The Bible is much richer (Deeper/fuller) than you allow for in posting one verse answers is all.
If I were to post the entire verses I would be here all night, lol :)

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
I'm not sure what's happened to you along the way, but I don't believe it was God guiding you to the Catholic church. Sorry, but I don't.

All of this information is being presented right in front of your face and you can't see it. You cannot tell me that the Catechism wins against the bible? - the Bible is God's word and the Catechism was written by man, not God.

In many scriptures, God says...

Mark 7:8 - "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

Mark 7:9 - He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition"

Mark 7:13 - "Making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Colossians 2:8 - "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ"

1 Peter 1:17-18 - "And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers"

And these are just some of many examples of one particular subject...

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
I'm not sure what's happened to you along the way, but I don't believe it was God guiding you to the Catholic church. Sorry, but I don't.

All of this information is being presented right in front of your face and you can't see it. You cannot tell me that the Catechism wins against the bible? - the Bible is God's word and the Catechism was written by man, not God.
The Bible is indeed God's word. And it was through the study of the Scriptures that I really came to the firm conclusion that the Catholic Church is indeed THE Church founded by Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

In many scriptures, God says...

Mark 7:8 - "For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

Mark 7:9 - He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition"

Mark 7:13 - "Making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Colossians 2:8 - "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ"

1 Peter 1:17-18 - "And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers"

And these are just some of many examples of one particular subject...
You speak of traditions of men, and you're right that we should focus on the teachings of God rather than men. But keep in mind also that Scripture teaches us that there are two types of tradition, those of men and those of God. We see in Scripture that God's word is not limited to just Scripture, but can be transferred to us by word of mouth (Oral Tradition).

Some Scripture to help you understand these things.

The Word of God is Transferred Orally

Mark 13:31 - heaven and earth will pass away, but Jesus' Word will not pass away. But Jesus never says anything about His Word being entirely committed to a book. Also, it took 400 years to compile the Bible, and another 1,000 years to invent the printing press. How was the Word of God communicated? Orally, by the bishops of the Church, with the guidance and protection of the Holy Spirit.

Mark 16:15 - Jesus commands the apostles to preach the Gospel to every creature. But Jesus did not want this preaching to stop after the apostles died, and yet the Bible was not compiled until four centuries later. The word of God was transferred orally.

Mark 3:14; 16:15 - Jesus commands the apostles to preach (not write) the gospel to the world. Jesus gives no commandment to the apostles to write, and gives them no indication that the oral apostolic word he commanded them to communicate would later die in the fourth century. If Jesus wanted Christianity to be limited to a book (which would be finalized four centuries later), wouldn't He have said a word about it?

Luke 10:16 - He who hears you (not "who reads your writings"), hears me. The oral word passes from Jesus to the apostles to their successors by the gracious gifts of the Holy Spirit. This succession has been preserved in the Holy Catholic Church.

Luke 24:47 - Jesus explains that repentance and forgiveness of sins must be preached (not written) in Christ's name to all nations. For Protestants to argue that the word of God is now limited to a book (subject to thousands of different interpretations) is to not only ignore Scripture, but introduce a radical theory about how God spreads His word which would have been unbelievable to the people at the time of Jesus.

Acts 2:3-4 - the Holy Spirit came to the apostles in the form of "tongues" of fire so that they would "speak" (not just write) the Word.

Acts 15:27 - Judas and Silas, successors to the apostles, were sent to bring God's infallible Word by "word of mouth."

Rom. 10:8 - the Word is near you, on your lips and in your heart, which is the word of faith which is preached (not just written).

Rom. 10:17 - faith comes by what is "heard" (not just read) which is the Word that is "preached" (not read). This word comes from the oral tradition of the apostles. Those in countries where the Scriptures are not available can still come to faith in Jesus Christ.

1 Cor. 15:1,11 - faith comes from what is "preached" (not read). For non-Catholics to argue that oral tradition once existed but exists no longer, they must prove this from Scripture. But no where does Scripture say oral tradition died with the apostles. To the contrary, Scripture says the oral word abides forever.

Gal. 1:11-12 - the Gospel which is "preached" (not read) to me is not a man's Gospel, but the Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Eph. 1:13 - hearing (not reading) the Word of truth is the gospel of our salvation. This is the living word in the Church's living tradition.

Col. 1:5 - of this you have "heard" (not read) before in the word of truth, the Gospel which has come to you.

1 Thess. 2:13 - the Word of God is what you have "heard" (not read). The orally communicated word of God lasts forever, and this word is preserved within the Church by the Holy Spirit.

2 Tim. 1:13 - oral communications are protected by the Spirit. They abide forever. Oral authority does not die with the apostles.

2 Tim. 4:2,6-7 - Paul, at the end of his life, charges Timothy to preach (not write) the Word. Oral teaching does not die with Paul.

Titus 1:3 - God's word is manifested "through preaching" (not writing). This "preaching" is the tradition that comes from the apostles.

1 Peter 1:25 - the Word of the Lord abides forever and that Word is the good news that was "preached" (not read) to you. Because the Word is preached by the apostles and it lasts forever, it must be preserved by the apostles' successors, or this could not be possible. Also, because the oral word abides forever, oral apostolic tradition could not have died in the fourth century with all teachings being committed to Scripture.

2 Peter 1:12, 15 - Peter says that he will leave a "means to recall these things in mind." But since this was his last canonical epistle, this "means to recall" must therefore be the apostolic tradition and teaching authority of his office that he left behind.

2 John 1:12; 3 John 13 - John prefers to speak and not to write. Throughout history, the Word of God was always transferred orally and Jesus did not change this. To do so would have been a radical departure from the Judaic tradition.

Deut. 31:9-12 - Moses had the law read only every seven years. Was the word of God absent during the seven year interval? Of course not. The Word of God has always been given orally by God's appointed ones, and was never limited to Scripture.

Isa. 40:8 - the grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of our God (not necessarily written) will stand forever.

Isa. 59:21 - Isaiah prophesies the promise of a living voice to hand on the Word of God to generations by mouth, not by a book. This is either a false prophecy, or it has been fulfilled by the Catholic Church.

Joel 1:3 - tell your children of the Word of the Lord, and they tell their children, and their children tell another generation.

Mal. 2:7 - the lips of a priest guard knowledge, and we should seek instruction from his mouth. Protestants want to argue all oral tradition was committed to Scripture? But no where does Scripture say this.

Learning through Oral Apostolic Tradition

Matt. 15:3 - Jesus condemns human traditions that void God's word. Some Protestants use this verse to condemn all tradition. But this verse has nothing to do with the tradition we must obey that was handed down to us from the apostles. (Here, the Pharisees, in their human tradition, gave goods to the temple to avoid taking care of their parents, and this voids God's law of honoring one's father and mother.)

Mark 7:9 - this is the same as Matt. 15:3 - there is a distinction between human tradition (that we should reject) and apostolic tradition (that we must accept).

Gal. 1:14; Col. 2:22 – Paul also writes about “the traditions of my fathers” and “human precepts and doctrines” which regarded the laws of Judaism. These traditions are no longer necessary.

Acts 2:42 - the members obeyed apostolic tradition (doctrine, prayers, and the breaking of bread). Their obedience was not to the Scriptures alone. Tradition (in Greek, "paradosis") means "to hand on" teaching.

Acts 20:7 - this verse gives us a glimpse of Christian worship on Sunday, but changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday is understood primarily from oral apostolic tradition.

John 17:20 - Jesus prays for all who believe in Him through the oral word of the apostles. Jesus protects oral apostolic teaching.

1 Cor. 11:2 - Paul commends the faithful for maintaining the apostolic tradition that they have received. The oral word is preserved and protected by the Spirit.

Eph. 4:20 – Paul refers the Ephesians to the oral tradition they previously received when he writes, “You did not so learn Christ!”

Phil. 4:9 - Paul says that what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do. This refers to learning from his preaching and example, which is apostolic tradition.

Col. 1:5-6 – of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel, which has come to you. This delivery of the faith refers to the oral tradition the Colossians had previously received from the ordained leaders of the Church. This oral tradition is called the gospel of truth.

1 Thess.1:5 – our gospel came to you not only in word, but in the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul is referring to the oral tradition which the Thessalonians had previously received. There is never any instruction to abandon these previous teachings; to the contrary, they are to be followed as the word of God.

1 Thess. 4:2 – Paul again refers the Thessalonians to the instructions they already had received, which is the oral apostolic tradition.

2 Thess. 2:5 – Paul yet again refers the Thessalonians to the previous teachings they received from Paul when he taught them orally. These oral teachings are no less significant than the written teachings.

2 Thess. 2:15 - Paul clearly commands us in this verse to obey oral apostolic tradition. He says stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, either by word of mouth or letter. This verse proves that for apostolic authority, oral and written communications are on par with each other. Protestants must find a verse that voids this commandment to obey oral tradition elsewhere in the Bible, or they are not abiding by the teachings of Scripture.

2 Thess. 2:15 - in fact, it was this apostolic tradition that allowed the Church to select the Bible canon (apostolicity was determined from tradition). Since all the apostles were deceased at the time the canon was decided, the Church had to rely on the apostolic tradition of their successors. Hence, the Bible is an apostolic tradition of the Catholic Church. This also proves that oral tradition did not cease with the death of the last apostle. Other examples of apostolic tradition include the teachings on the Blessed Trinity, the hypostatic union (Jesus had a divine and human nature in one person), the filioque (that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son), the assumption of Mary, and knowing that the Gospel of Matthew was written by Matthew.

2 Thess. 3:6 - Paul again commands the faithful to live in accord with the tradition that they received from the apostles.

2 Thess. 3:7 - Paul tells them they already know how to imitate the elders. He is referring them to the tradition they have learned by his oral preaching and example.

1 Tim. 6:20 - guard what has been "entrusted" to you. The word "entrusted" is "paratheke" which means a "deposit." Oral tradition is part of what the Church has always called the Deposit of Faith.

2 Tim. 2:2 - Paul says what you have heard from me entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. This is "tradition," or the handing on of apostolic teaching.

2 Tim. 3:14 - continue in what you have learned and believed knowing from whom you learned it (by oral tradition).

1 John 2:7 – John refers to the oral word his disciples have heard which is the old commandment that we love one another.

And we see that Our Lord Himself called upon oral tradition in His teachings.

Examples of Jesus' and the Apostles' Reliance on Oral Tradition

Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is oral tradition. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the oral tradition of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

John 19:26; 20:2; 21:20,24 - knowing that the "beloved disciple" is John is inferred from Scripture, but is also largely oral tradition.

Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 7:10 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the apostles to give the charge of Jesus that a wife should not separate from her husband.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the oral tradition of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exodus 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

Eph 5:14 - Paul relies on oral tradition to quote an early Christian hymn - "awake O sleeper rise from the dead and Christ shall give you light."

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the oral tradition of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the oral tradition of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

Jude 14-15 - Jude relies on the oral tradition of Enoch's prophecy which is not recorded in the Old Testament.

The Catholic faith does indeed follow some tradition, because as you can see from Scripture, not all tradition is bad. Some of it is from God and should be cherished and followed. We must be vigilant and research the traditions we are taught to see if they are from men or from God.