Rosemary Garlic Bread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

HopeinHim4ever

999 Out of a thousand never had that experience. That's really sweet. Everyone is so used to just buying chicken at the store. I don't fault anyone for that. It's just a special experience to raise your own that few people have.
If you hunt, process and eat venison, you're eating free range organic steak and roasts.
🥩🙂👍

I strung that short paragraph together and had to run off and get something done. Sorry I didn't go into details. I hesitate to talk about hunting online, but your whitetail is a delicacy and healthier meat than anything in Piggly Wigglys, or Walmart. You are very fortunate to have that experience.
Do you still raise chickens?
We do, but on a commercial broiler farm which is something we really don't like or see ourselves doing for much longer. It's not a healthy environment. Several years ago when we lived in another state we had horses, goats, sheep, chickens, and all that good stuff, usually raising a nice sized garden every year. I miss that a lot. Also miss the venison since those brothers don't live at home anymore. But yeah you're right it's such a good meat.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
We do, but on a commercial broiler farm which is something we really don't like or see ourselves doing for much longer. It's not a healthy environment. Several years ago when we lived in another state we had horses, goats, sheep, chickens, and all that good stuff, usually raising a nice sized garden every year. I miss that a lot. Also miss the venison since those brothers don't live at home anymore. But yeah you're right it's such a good meat.
I know what you mean about a big broiler farm like that. I used to work at a facility where we raised broilers, layers, exotics and did research. Even with all the giant fans, cleaned twice a day, those big layer houses couldn't get enough ventilation. That's a lot different from a family farm.

You have raised a lot of animals and a garden.......me too.
That's the good life.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
My uncle worked at one of the last holdouts that closed in the late 90's(?)

Last time I actually "saw" one was in North GA in the early 2000s or thereabouts.

That's was in North GA though and it seems they still exist.

I just made a little bit of popcorn as an evening snack so I had to use some pork fat because that was what was handy.
You made stove popcorn in pork fat?!?

I'm quite curious how it was. I've only made it in vegetable oil and coconut oil. Vegetable oil seems to cook a bit easier and smokes less but the taste is different...can't say which is better really at present. Coconut is healthier though so I shoot for that usually.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Last time I actually "saw" one was in North GA in the early 2000s or thereabouts.

That's was in North GA though and it seems they still exist.

You made stove popcorn in pork fat?!?

I'm quite curious how it was. I've only made it in vegetable oil and coconut oil. Vegetable oil seems to cook a bit easier and smokes less but the taste is different...can't say which is better really at present. Coconut is healthier though so I shoot for that usually.
It was a long time ago, so I forgot. Now that I think about it, it likely was the 2000s when he finished there. When Mom took me as a kid, they were the only store with a comercial coffee grinder. Someone could pour a bag of 8O'clock coffee beans thru it and it smelled so good halfway across the store. I didn't know they had any more open.

If you use pork fat, you have to watch the heat. If there's any meat left on your hog jawls, or whatever you use, it will burn. I suggest melting the fat first, perhaps from a previous meal and pouring it into a quart size pan or so. You can mix it with coconut oil. I drop a few kernels into it. As soon as they pop, pour in enough to about cover the bottom. Then just watch the heat to make sure it's just hot enough to pop, but not smoke. Wear eye protection like one of those clear shields. I got hot grease splashed IN my eye a couple months ago, so careful because the moisture that condenses on the lid will drop and splatter. Anyhow, it tastes best with the good animal fat, like bacon grease. It's good for you too if it's the non nitrate kind. Dr. Joel Wallace would disagree, but Coconut oil is good too IMHO. On the other hand vegetable oil is either corn, canola or soybean oils. Those are pretty harmful for a lot of reasons. I use those mixed with sticky petroleum for chain saw bar oil and hedge trimmers. I've read that movie theaters use to used coconut oil to pop corn and it was real good in the olden days.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I happened to use rosemary this evening with lamb. The only thing that would have improved it would be a loaf of your bread.... . 😄

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It was a long time ago, so I forgot. Now that I think about it, it likely was the 2000s when he finished there. When Mom took me as a kid, they were the only store with a comercial coffee grinder. Someone could pour a bag of 8O'clock coffee beans thru it and it smelled so good halfway across the store. I didn't know they had any more open.

If you use pork fat, you have to watch the heat. If there's any meat left on your hog jawls, or whatever you use, it will burn. I suggest melting the fat first, perhaps from a previous meal and pouring it into a quart size pan or so. You can mix it with coconut oil. I drop a few kernels into it. As soon as they pop, pour in enough to about cover the bottom. Then just watch the heat to make sure it's just hot enough to pop, but not smoke. Wear eye protection like one of those clear shields. I got hot grease splashed IN my eye a couple months ago, so careful because the moisture that condenses on the lid will drop and splatter. Anyhow, it tastes best with the good animal fat, like bacon grease. It's good for you too if it's the non nitrate kind. Dr. Joel Wallace would disagree, but Coconut oil is good too IMHO. On the other hand vegetable oil is either corn, canola or soybean oils. Those are pretty harmful for a lot of reasons. I use those mixed with sticky petroleum for chain saw bar oil and hedge trimmers. I've read that movie theaters use to used coconut oil to pop corn and it was real good in the olden days.
I'll definitely try that out the next time I have some bacon grease. Currently I only have grease from what I call "swine spheres" (bisquik, hot sausage, cheddar rolled into a ball) but I guess some of that would be cheese grease so it wouldn't work? Definitely curious like I said because I like stove "popped" corn rather a lot.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I'll definitely try that out the next time I have some bacon grease. Currently I only have grease from what I call "swine spheres" (bisquik, hot sausage, cheddar rolled into a ball) but I guess some of that would be cheese grease so it wouldn't work? Definitely curious like I said because I like stove "popped" corn rather a lot.
That sounds real tasty.
Cheese oil tastes very good. I'd use that to butter it afterwards if you like butter. I think that it would smoke before getting hot enough to pop corn though. It's a dairy fat. Melted cheese on popcorn is good. I've used grated dry cheeses like Parmesan. It's excellent 👌🙂🧀