ROTFL (for worship)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kenisyes

Anyone who frequents these forums knows I'm a staunch defender of tongues, prophecy, healing, apostleship and continuationism in general. I draw the line at holy laughter. Here's a short overview if you don't know about it: Holy laughter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I wrong? I can find no Scriptural backing for extended laughter as a worship response. I have seen no good fruit. As as a child I was taught the Chinese tortured people to death by tickling their feet, since prolonged laughter causes the diaphragm to seize up and stop breathing (this was before the invention of the plastic grocery bag).

I'd really like to have a go-round on this. If I'm missing something that is God, let me know.

E

Exoaria

Romans 14~

Let people worship how they want.
If they glory God, then glory be to God. It's not our place to decide how the Holy Spirit effects people.
People die from passing out and having concussion, doesn't stop people from getting slain in the Spirit. Makes no difference if the Chinese used a tickling method for torture.

I don't know why I'm responding to be honest.

If you want to spend your time worrying about the way that the Spirit affects another time, then you're welcome to bring it up and debate it until the sun goes down.

Claps for you. I'm going to bed, goodnight.

K

kenisyes

Opinion duly noted. My problem is I'm not sure it's worship. And maybe doing it teaches us the wrong definition about worship. Maybe it even points us toward the wrong God. Maybe you'll be back when you are rested. I need to get out of the house now too.

R

RachelBibleStudent

i will also point out that a prolonged interruption in breathing...such as from prolonged laughter...can affect the brain and lead to various levels of hallucinatory experiences...

R

RachelBibleStudent

Opinion duly noted. My problem is I'm not sure it's worship. And maybe doing it teaches us the wrong definition about worship. Maybe it even points us toward the wrong God. Maybe you'll be back when you are rested. I need to get out of the house now too.
to me a little laughter during worship is ok as an expression of joy...too much laughter however would seem to imply that worship is 'laughable'...

K

kenisyes

i will also point out that a prolonged interruption in breathing...such as from prolonged laughter...can affect the brain and lead to various levels of hallucinatory experiences...
That might help to explain why. Do you have a scientific source?

K

kenisyes

to me a little laughter during worship is ok as an expression of joy...too much laughter however would seem to imply that worship is 'laughable'...
That's what I get from Scripture. Mostly laughter is for mockery. Laughter for joy has 3 verses: Ps. 122:6, where it is followed by singing; Prov. 14:13 where we are warned it does not last. Eccl. 2:2 where we are warned that it is of no value. The concensus of a Scripture search seems to be exactly as you are saying.

R

RachelBibleStudent

That might help to explain why. Do you have a scientific source?
i was referring to stuff like this...

"The symptoms of generalized hypoxia depend on its severity and acceleration of onset. In the case of altitude sickness, where hypoxia develops gradually, the symptoms include headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, a feeling of euphoria and nausea. In severe hypoxia, or hypoxia of very rapid onset, changes in levels of consciousness, seizures, coma, priapism, and death occur."

Hypoxia (medical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

K

kenisyes

i was referring to stuff like this...

"The symptoms of generalized hypoxia depend on its severity and acceleration of onset. In the case of altitude sickness, where hypoxia develops gradually, the symptoms include headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, a feeling of euphoria and nausea. In severe hypoxia, or hypoxia of very rapid onset, changes in levels of consciousness, seizures, coma, priapism, and death occur."

Hypoxia (medical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you. Hypoxia I understand. Maybe I'll look at some videos and see if any is in evidence.

F

flight316

Many years ago I attended a church service at a baptist church. Theaker was quite powerful with sermon. I had never heard someones voice sound the way his did. During the invitational most of the church came to the alter. The minister through out his hand towards the people and everybody that was standing in the middle fell down backwards. Ther were ten ministers who fell to the floor . Some were speaking in tongues some appeared to be passed out and some werelaughing non stop. That's the only time that I have witnessed something like that. But what I do know is that the spirit was extremely high that night.

D

danschance

I agree that "holy laughter" is not from God.

[video=youtube;IrpW6Xctg8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrpW6Xctg8Q[/video]

K

kenisyes

Many years ago I attended a church service at a baptist church. Theaker was quite powerful with sermon. I had never heard someones voice sound the way his did. During the invitational most of the church came to the alter. The minister through out his hand towards the people and everybody that was standing in the middle fell down backwards. Ther were ten ministers who fell to the floor . Some were speaking in tongues some appeared to be passed out and some werelaughing non stop. That's the only time that I have witnessed something like that. But what I do know is that the spirit was extremely high that night.
I think we need to differentiate between the one-time move of God, and the pastors who advocate this behavior for regular worship. The Bible advocates tongues and prophecy, but not slaying in the spirit or laughter.

This happened at a baptist church? I have been told they do not allow such things. I keep running into isolated instances. Just what is Baptist theology on the gifts and manifestations? Can anyone tell me, if there even is such a thing as "baptist theology"?

K

kenisyes

I agree that "holy laughter" is not from God.

[video=youtube;IrpW6Xctg8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrpW6Xctg8Q[/video]
Anna and I learned by experience that if you pray against such things as it starts happening, that will stop it.