Saul?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

genesisyee

Is King Saul saved? why? he took his own life? not familiar with the story read the book of 1 Kings.

Jan 8, 2009
Saul has always puzzled me. It says in some places that others killed him. In others, that he fell on his sword, does it not?

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Saul mortalled wounded himself - someone else finished the job and then got killed by David for it. If my memory serves me correctly anyway.

C

Cup-of-Ruin

God repents that he made Saul king 1 Samuel 15:11, this is not for lack of foreknowledge as the Bible says His repentence is not the same as ours "For He is not a man that He should repent", clearly God is lamenting for Saul's failure to fulfill what God required of him, He gave Saul great responsibility, and Saul did not live up to it, and it is a very complex relationship here between God and Saul, and it shows how intimately God will work in one of His children lives, even allowing them to fail, "I feel sorrow that I made Saul king", this life of Saul is such an amazing example of God's complex emotions, Saul really struggled with what God wanted him to do, and so did God, that He should also feel sorrow, that God is able to feel sorrow even in perfect foreknowledge is amazing, that God has perfect foreknowledge does not change that He feels emotion for what He has planned to come to pass, it's difficult for a human not having foreknowledge to understand this, but God's way is not our way. I see it that God is experiencing something new in the human experience- Saul's failure is God's sorrow, He has expressed this emotion connected to the intimate human experience that He Himself has brought about.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2009
Saul died in a backslidden state. I am pretty sure he was not saved.

C

Cup-of-Ruin

Saul died in a backslidden state. I am pretty sure he was not saved.
Of course King Saul was saved, when God Himself repents, who can make God repent? I only know of Moses and Saul made God repent. God had a difficult and troubled relationship with Saul, Saul's failure as a king, certainly did not cause God to wrath and anger, and was His sorrow, Saul's failure made God feel sorry and sad. This is a complex issue, it would be hard for babes in Christ to understand. I mean it's quite funny actually that a modern Christian under Grace and of no standing or spiritual stature whatsoever would judge the first King of Israel, chosen by God, that's kind of funny, really, can imagine a little christian calling today calling King Saul names. You may want to consider Saul's early success, and how necessary it was that God use Saul for this end, even though knowing that Saul would later disobey by not killing all Amalekites, he spared Agag and the animals, and Saul did this because he listened to the voice of the people, Saul realizes his sin, and turns immediately to worship the Lord, the Lord sends word that Saul is stripped of Kingship over Israel, not his salvation. Samuel than slew Agag in peices like the Lord had ordered, Samuel than mourned for saul, Saul worshipped God realizing his error and God felt sorrow that he had made Saul king. Later;

"But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him." 1 Sam 16:14

God sends an evil spirit to trouble Saul.

Jan 8, 2009
But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul

Did I hear a OSAS believer once say "the Spirit will never leave a saved person"?

C

Cup-of-Ruin

Did I hear a OSAS believer once say "the Spirit will never leave a saved person"?
Which Spirit, the one that was given to Saul, as God repented on his kingship, the Spirit went to David, who overcame the evil spirit that was upon Saul 1 Sam. 16:1, in 1 Sam 16:16, God promises recovery for Saul from the evil spirit.

M

Marcus2x2

Saul lived in the pre-Christian era. People who were saved back then as I understand essentially belived in God. The Spirit of God was not upon many people as far as I am aware in the Old Testament.
I would argue that he was saved. If you look a 1 Samuel chapter 28, specifically verse 19, you will read (inpart) Samuel saying to Saul "And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me."

Jan 8, 2009
The whole discussion on salvation isn't really relevant pre New Testament era. No Christian I know really understands it. Where's a Jewish person?

C

concernedguy

The whole discussion on salvation isn't really relevant pre New Testament era. No Christian I know really understands it. Where's a Jewish person?

Salvation has never changed regardless of the Old or New Testaments. Belief in God is always the
requirement. The only thing that changed in the New Testament was the fulfillment of the Old
Testament prophecy that Christ would come.

Nothing changed about salvation ever in the Bible. The only thing that changed was the method of
salvation. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were given for the forgiveness of sin. In the new
Testament, the prophecy was fulfilled by Christ that Christ is the only required sacrifice and brings
forgiveness through His death instead of sacrifice. Because of Christ becoming the sin sacrifice,
we as individuals can have direct access to God.

Salvation has always been the same. Believe in God and turn from your sinful ways. Only God knows
if any person like Saul hundreds of years ago is saved or your neighbor or you for that matter. God
knows our sin nature and forgives us.

Saul was mortally wounded in a battle. He didn't want the enemy disgracing him. So Saul ask his
guard to kill him. The guard said no. Saul then killed himself by falling on his sword.

I wish as much energy was directed at telling others about Christ as discussing things we can only
guess at and only God knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.