saved not by faith in the first place

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hearer

as per the first part you underlined, if this was the case. every man would be saved. because every man would be born again. The fact every man is not born again, yet the Holy Spirit does the thing you underlined to everyone shows that this is not rebirth or renewal.

as per the second. This is repentance. or a change of heart. We must do this. God will not force his will, or his approval on anyone.

either way. the part which is rebirth is number 5. which is a result of verse 4.
oh well, you seem to ignore Ezekiel's prophecy. Ezekiel said that God would give us a new heart, his work not ours.

E

eternally-gratefull

oh well, you seem to ignore Ezekiel's prophecy. Ezekiel said that God would give us a new heart, his work not ours.
No. I agree with this prophesy. He did give us a new heart. He offers it to everyone, Not everyone will receive it though. Faith in his word must happen before our hearts are renewed.

Are you going to respond to things i said, or keep making a few comments? which does not answer anything that I said.

H

Hearer

No. I agree with this prophesy. He did give us a new heart. He offers it to everyone, Not everyone will receive it though. Faith in his word must happen before our hearts are renewed.

Are you going to respond to things i said, or keep making a few comments? which does not answer anything that I said.
oh well; you cannot accept that God does all the work:

giving,
renewing,
shepherding into righteosness

you think we gotta do something to receive the prompting of the Spirit and renewal of heart. faith is a gift after renewal. He might offer everything to everyone and so it is their fault if they do not take it up. But there is a clear case for him only giving it freely wherever he wants.

A

AnandaHya

So the discussion is WHEN is a person saved? as in WHEN is the new heart and the Holy Spirit given to a person? Is it the same event or is it a different event?

E

eternally-gratefull

oh well; you cannot accept that God does all the work:

giving,
renewing,
shepherding into righteosness

you think we gotta do something to receive the prompting of the Spirit and renewal of heart. faith is a gift after renewal. He might offer everything to everyone and so it is their fault if they do not take it up. .

No Hearer. And here you go again. I will repost what I said earlier.

How can standing still, letting someone else do all the work for you. and trusting in this person which you can not see, but have only heard of through word of mouth, scripture and this thing inside you (conviction of the HS) cause anyone to think they have done a "mighty work"? by having faith in Christ?

a man who is in danger and saves himself has done a mighty work. a man who risks life and limb to save others has done a mighty work. a man who does nothing to save himself. but allows someone else to do the work of saving him because he trusts that other person completely has done no mighty work. in fact in human terms, that man is a wimp because he did not do anythign to save himself. he relied completely on someone else.
That is why it is so hard for anyone to have true faith in Christ, it is against our nature. we have to save ourselves. or at least help (works based Gospel)

As I said in my last post. You are not responding to anything I said. so I will ask again.

How can anyone claim that they did any work considering the above example. Your right, The HS does do the work. It is HIS work (and that of Christs) we are standing still and trusting in. Not our own work.

But there is a clear case for him only giving it freely wherever he wants
There is no case for this. Scripture is clear. God is willing that NONE should parish, but ALL should come to repentance. This fact alone, if what you believe is true, Means that everyone would be saved. But everyone is not saved, Meaning Gods will is for all to be saved, but not all is saved, something differentiates one group from another. That different thing is called faith. God hands out his gift to everyone. Only those who have faith will take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2009
So the discussion is WHEN is a person saved? as in WHEN is the new heart and the Holy Spirit given to a person? Is it the same event or is it a different event?

will add a question to urs ahha ananda.. can a person be saved wid out the holy spirit and can person be saved and not have a new heart?

H

Hearer

No Hearer. And here you go again. I will repost what I said earlier.

As I said in my last post. You are not responding to anything I said. so I will ask again.

How can anyone claim that they did any work considering the above example. Your right, The HS does do the work. It is HIS work (and that of Christs) we are standing still and trusting in. Not our own work.

There is no case for this. Scripture is clear. God is willing that NONE should parish, but ALL should come to repentance. This fact alone, if what you believe is true, Means that everyone would be saved. But everyone is not saved, Meaning Gods will is for all to be saved, but not all is saved, something differentiates one group from another. That different thing is called faith. God hands out his gift to everyone. Only those who have faith will take it.
r u saying that if God gives someone a gift (handing it over personally like the mailman) that the person will not accept it?

Sorry but you do not make sense. You are under-estimating God and assuming that he gives his spirit to everyone even those outside the church.

no siree. we will have to difer on this absurd statement.

E

eternally-gratefull

r u saying that if God gives someone a gift (handing it over personally like the mailman) that the person will not accept it?

Sorry but you do not make sense. You are under-estimating God and assuming that he gives his spirit to everyone even those outside the church.

no siree. we will have to difer on this absurd statement.
Thats fine we can disagree. But I refuse to believe that God is not a God of love and does not offer everyone the gift of life. Especially when he states plain of fact that he does.

as for your example. I have handed things to many people and said here take it, they have refused because they do not see the value or the need. Just because God offers something to someone does not mean they will see its value. Or they have no desire to have anything to do with God. Romans 1 makes this clear.

I see you still refuse to even acknowledge what I said about faith and how it is not a work. why is this?? is it because you can't? because you know its true, but are not willing to change your mind?

H

Hearer

Thats fine we can disagree. But I refuse to believe that God is not a God of love and does not offer everyone the gift of life. Especially when he states plain of fact that he does.

as for your example. I have handed things to many people and said here take it, they have refused because they do not see the value or the need. Just because God offers something to someone does not mean they will see its value. Or they have no desire to have anything to do with God. Romans 1 makes this clear.

I see you still refuse to even acknowledge what I said about faith and how it is not a work. why is this?? is it because you can't? because you know its true, but are not willing to change your mind?
the point is I acknowledge that faith is not in fact a work at all. It is what I have been saying too. But I believe (and it's my opinion) that many think when they profess Jesus that this is a work which somehow means that they have earned or are entitled to rebirth without really believing in Jesus in the first place. They are not fully convicted and justified intheir heart that Jesus is Lord. So they fall away eventually when trouble arises.

I have even seen a preacher arguing over money and leaving the church. Episcopalian ministers that live in sin. Pentecostals who lose their faith when their spouse gets ill and they get ill. How many are reborn even though they proclaim Jesus?

How many will say that on their deathbed that they were reborn and see Jesus waiting for them?

sorry for the diatribe. It is not against you. But the point is that though many confess with their mouths, they have not been reborn first, first convinced in their heart before they use the Lord's name in their work.