Secret Sister

• Thread starter proverbs31woman29
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

proverbs31woman29

My father recently told me that I have an older half-sister. The problem is that my father wants me to promise not to tell my mother about her. Based on the age of this woman, it is evident that my father produced this child with someone else while he was dating my mother. (My parents have been divorced for more than 20 years.)

I do not know what to do right now. I do not like being put in the middle of things, especially when it comes to my parents. I also do not feel like I'm being a good Christian by helping someone lie. Any advice on how to handle this one?

S

Singer4Christ

I can't exactly tell you what to or what not to do because I haven't been in your situation. But I can give you the advice to give it some time and pray. Ask God what you should do. After some time has passed and you feel like you should still tell your mom, then do it. If your feelings change, that's God telling you that she doesn't need to know. Just allow God to give you an answer before you make any decisions. Hope all goes well, God bless.

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
I feel that since your parents are no longer together, telling the truth to your mother would be less hurting than it would have been if they were still together. Also, remember that no secrets remain a secret forever and it is only a matter of time before your mother comes to know of it. And when she does come to know of it from someone else, she might be more hurt by the fact that despite knowing the truth yourself, you had kept the secret from her. So, I would advise you to go ahead and tell her about it but before doing it, pray to God that she may receive the news with less emotion and may not be so hurt or take the news badly as presumed.

B

BrittanyJones

Argh, my dad use to do that to me. I hated when I was put in those positions. I eventually realized he would do it on purpose to create a wedge between my mother and I. I do not at all know what the right thing is for you to do. I would definitely pray about it. My own personal choices were to keep my word but I soon learned to quit promising people that I would not tell others something. If they wish not to tell me something after I have said that then so be it, it's better than being tortured about something you would rather tell someone else.

May 29, 2012
My father recently told me that I have an older half-sister. The problem is that my father wants me to promise not to tell my mother about her. Based on the age of this woman, it is evident that my father produced this child with someone else while he was dating my mother. (My parents have been divorced for more than 20 years.)

I do not know what to do right now. I do not like being put in the middle of things, especially when it comes to my parents. I also do not feel like I'm being a good Christian by helping someone lie. Any advice on how to handle this one?
Nothing done is in the dark will stay there for long, but it sure seems like he has batied you to tell your mother. It may seem like its not gonna hurt your mom finding out this imformation, but it will. HOW WOULD YOU feel finding out that the man you loved and had a child from, out of no were tells you by the way when we were dating I was dating some one else and we also produced a child. Nit an easy pill to swallow.
Will keep you in my prayers for the guidance you need for how to proceed with this.

HAPPY IN HIS WAY

A

Aqua_Girl09

its been THIS long it doesn't matter if she doesn't know. if you REALLY feel bad about lieing then don't lie if she asks directly if "your dad is hiding something" or what not tell her that its something between you and your dad and you REALLY don't want to talk about it. you're too old for her to just pry.

and like they said above it can't help her at all. i know you don't like keeping it to yourself but think about how your mom is going to feel hearing that kind of thing.

I'm sure your dad just wanted to let you know because she IS your family. but that its taken him THIS long to do it means he'd rather keep your mom out of it.