Secular Music

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

VioletReigns

I think it's absurd to classify music as secular or Christian. It's completely ridiculous! Everything I do is in Christ because his spirit dwells in me.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
For me, the lyrics can be the tipping point.
e.g. Jethro Tull >Aqualung...thumbs down.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
For me, the lyrics can be the tipping point.
e.g. Jethro Tull >Aqualung...thumbs down.
I remember my son and his ex-girlfriend once played guitar and sang along to that song on guitar hero (when they were teenagers) and my son's ex-girlfriend was freaked out (she was singing) by the lyrics which followed "sitting on a park bench" :eek:

Drudy

Jul 29, 2015
Music is classified, whether. We like it or not; whether we agree or not, it classified like a lot of other things in this life. Humans are classified- male, female, boy, girl. Birds are classified - blue bird, yellowbird, waterbird, etc. Poems are classified, books are classified, games are classied, why not music?

The thimg is , most people do not seem to understand the poeer of music. Many Christians have been blinded to it effects. Many non-Christians know about its power but because many christians wants to claim to be christians but want to avoid the sacrifices, they make themselves accept almost anything and find excuses for it.

I'm sorry if I'm mashing toes here but I have got to say it . The bible speaks of this..

Dec 1, 2014
I went through this as a teen in the late 60's early 70's with my parents, who are ministers. What matters is the heart of the singer/writer. I've seen awesome performers who are NOT CHRISTIAN do 'CHRISTIAN" songs that can make one cry. There are fantastic Holy Spirit anointed songs, done by not-so-Christian artists who mutilate the song. I've heard CHRISTIAN artists/performers take a 'secular" song and it ends up anointed. I prayed for over 20 years for Mark Farner, lead singer of Grand Funk Railroad, to become a CHRISTIAN. I sensed that he was searching for JESUS through his songs. He did become a dynamic rock 'n roll performing CHRISTIAN, changed just a few lyrics of his older hits and made them "CHRISTIAN" enough to be sold in CHRISTIAN books stores. God can use any ways and means to reach someone for HIS Son. Satan can take anything 'good" and use it for evil intentions. I can be drawn closer to CHRIST with an electric guitar as well as someone else who runs to the altar to accept JESUS with organ music in the background. It's not the music, in and of itself, it's the intent of the performer. If that former rap star wants to praise JESUS with his voice, praise GOD for it. If that little bluegrass banjo picker wants to praise JESUS, amen! If that Grunge BAN, now Christian, wants to go on tour and promote JESUS..so be it.

Drudy

Jul 29, 2015
You are so right. We are not talking type of music. Various types of music speaks to different people. I don't understand rock but I know that some people do not understand slow music either, but understands rock perfectly. There are chrisian rock, rap, funk, etc. I'm referring to music which tells us that it is ok to frnicate, to be with sommeone's husband, to pick up a gun, to forget ur mother, that women are not persons to be cherished. Music that encourages people to live immoral lives, music with hidden messages in them... Those are what I'm referring to.

U

Ugly

Music is classified, whether. We like it or not; whether we agree or not, it classified like a lot of other things in this life. Humans are classified- male, female, boy, girl. Birds are classified - blue bird, yellowbird, waterbird, etc. Poems are classified, books are classified, games are classied, why not music?

The thimg is , most people do not seem to understand the poeer of music. Many Christians have been blinded to it effects. Many non-Christians know about its power but because many christians wants to claim to be christians but want to avoid the sacrifices, they make themselves accept almost anything and find excuses for it.

I'm sorry if I'm mashing toes here but I have got to say it . The bible speaks of this..
Bible also says some people will see some things as wrong where others will see it as OK. And that neither person is wrong because there Are grey areas. People are not all the same. Not all affected by things the same. Not all at the same point in their spiritual growth. So to claim something that is wrong to you as wrong for everyone actually goes against the bible. But many Christians like to speak as though their personal convictions are meant for everyone, not themselves.