self-respect and expressing it

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2011
Hi all,

I was wondering is self-respect linked to having lots of money or is it something more than that.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
From what I have observed, self-respect and lots of money have nothing to do with each other. You can respect yourself or not whether you are rich or poor, and there are many examples of both all along the economic spectrum.

T

toinena

Do you mean self esteem?

I think the people with money, espescially nouveau rich, often can be less confident in who they are, because they have to act the role of being rich and buy themselves that role

I also think respect is linked to dignty. If you are respected and treated with dignity, it is easier to develope a healthy view of yourself regardless of money.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Self respect has nothing to do with money imo

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Do you mean self esteem?

I think the people with money, espescially nouveau rich, often can be less confident in who they are, because they have to act the role of being rich and buy themselves that role

I also think respect is linked to dignty. If you are respected and treated with dignity, it is easier to develope a healthy view of yourself regardless of money.
Self esteem can be related to narcissism right? Like being proud of yourself. The Bible has nothing good to say about pride. Most in the USA have a positive attitude about pride. They think pride of country, school pride or familial pride are acceptable. We should embrace honor rather than pride. Pride causes one to be lifted up at the expense of another. One can be honorable without it costing anyone else.

Getting back to self respect, one has to understand respect. It is a lot like love, the more you spread it around the more you will have. Maybe we are nit-picking at words. The MS-Word Thesaurus lists all these things as synonyms to dignity. I think to have respect for yourself you need to respect others. Some people are completely devoid of respect for anyone or anything. It becomes hard to respect such a person. Here I am rambling along without getting any clearer, so I'll just shut-up.

Luke 18:14: "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Self esteem can be related to narcissism right? Like being proud of yourself. The Bible has nothing good to say about pride. Most in the USA have a positive attitude about pride. They think pride of country, school pride or familial pride are acceptable. We should embrace honor rather than pride. Pride causes one to be lifted up at the expense of another. One can be honorable without it costing anyone else.

Getting back to self respect, one has to understand respect. It is a lot like love, the more you spread it around the more you will have. Maybe we are nit-picking at words. The MS-Word Thesaurus lists all these things as synonyms to dignity. I think to have respect for yourself you need to respect others. Some people are completely devoid of respect for anyone or anything. It becomes hard to respect such a person. Here I am rambling along without getting any clearer, so I'll just shut-up.

Luke 18:14: "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

View attachment 181213
Actually there is a huge difference between having self esteem and being prideful. How often in scripture does it speak of who we are in Christ? Or how loved and how treasured we are to him? I don't think he would told us all this if we were not to believe it. Humbleness to me is knowing who we are in Christ knowing our standing as kings and queens but always more than willing to lower ourselves to the role of a drag dressed servant.

This at least is what I saw in Jesus. He knew who he was, he knew his standing as the king of kings yet he lowered himself even lower than us sinners spending his life serving us when in all honest we should have been serving him. To be that high in status and yet in love to be more than willing to lower himself like that.... I have never seen or known a kind of humbleness than that

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Hi all,

I was wondering is self-respect linked to having lots of money or is it something more than that.
I have a list of 44 verses that speak against hording riches.

So yeah I think it's something more than that ;)

Integrity and character ... those are the components of respect that no amount of money can buy.

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Our society taught us that if u are wealthy it will give you self-respect or pride...sad but wealthy people gain more attention and sit on the best place in any occasions compared to those who have no riches (money and fame) If you have money whenever you speak most people listen...that's how our society treats us if we are rich...

Now we as Christians...we don't have to be wealthy to gain self-respect to have self respect...you only need to be kind,honest and humble (a person with integrity)

:)

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Self respect and self esteem are two completely different things.
Self respect
For example I respect myself enough to not walk around like a slut or become a prostitute because I am worth more (short. I dont go against my conscience)
Plus i have enough self respect to be careful with whom I associate myself with as far as who is worth it and who is not. (Do what is good for me and doesnt disrespect my values)

Self esteem
Example ppl can tell me I look like a slut but they can't hurt me with it
(Knowing my worth and no one can shake that)

Kinda make sense?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Hi all,

I don’t believe that self-respect is linked to money.

Why would it be linked in the first place?