Share something someone taught you

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PANCAKES

Apr 26, 2009
Share them!

Just 1 per post please! You can post however many times you want, and leave a subject too! :)

I'll go first:

When I was 11, some random kid on a chat forum taught me how to spell the word "English" and it stuck with me ever since! I vaguely remember him/her yelling at me in all caps, and it sort of shocked me into trying to learn how to spell better in general :rolleyes:

Oct 31, 2011
I always thought of myself as thoughtful of others, never suspecting that often my thoughts centered on me. One day someone told me something relating to someone, and I thought of myself in that situation and said so. I heard “it isn’t about you”.

M

Miri

I know this sounds a bit stupid but I could not tell the time until I was about the age of 7 or 8.

I use to get really confused and think that there was only 1 minute between the numbers on the clock face, ie 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.
So when people spoke about it being 5 past 1. Or 10 past two, I just did not understand it at all.

Than one day I was going somewhere with the family and we were waiting for a taxi. My older cousin said the taxi would arrive in a minute,
so I dutifully waited until the big hand moved from the number 1 to the number 2 on the clock.

Then I said 1 minute had passed and asked again when the taxi was coming.

My cousin just shrugged and said that 5 minutes had passed.

I remember giving him a strange look and asking why he thought 5 minutes had passed and then he explained there was 5 minutes between each
number on the clock face. No one had ever explained that to me before, but from that time onwards, I was able to tell the time!

S

SPUZIT

When first coming from a Jewish to Christian I heard of a church called " Baptist" church. I started calling them" John the Baptist church " quietly thinking we were related ... someone nicely took me aside one day & understood that I really wasn't trying to be funny, I just didn't understand. Now I know as both Christians & churches we really are related...... now who's this other Guy also named John in the Bible? Lol. Sputz

Dec 9, 2011
when i was little,my mom would sometimes say"bought sense is better than no sense at all)as a kid i had no idea what that meant.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
The best remedy for that itchy throat cough is tea, honey and a sprinkle to the spice thyme. :)
A sweet little old lady taught me this when I was at the store searching for a cough remedy for my children.
We have used the remedy since, and it has always worked, my children when small asked only for this then and even now, because it worked! :)
I do wish I could tell the sweet old lady how greatful I was and still am for such a simple yet healing remedy.

God bless
pickles

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
my grandmother would always say don't go outside without a hat when it is damp and cold. I blew this off when I was young, but the older I got I saw this was good advice to avoid the sniffles.

R

Relena7

When I was 5 and in kindergarten, I unknowingly went to school with my shirt on backwards. No one noticed until later when I was in the girl's bathroom and these girls who were older than me (but still little) informed me my shirt was on backwards. They taught me how to turn my shirt around without taking it off. I still remember that moment to this day, and think "awww". :)

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
PEMDAS

Parentheses, exponent, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. It's the order of operations, and I was taught it by my 7th grade math teacher.

Dec 9, 2011
when i was in the fourth grade,the teacher would ask the class"who knows the answer"some kids would raise their hands and she would call them up to the board.when i went up to the board to write on it,i would always make my 5 look like an s.she told me she would paddle me if i kept doing that and i corrected it.