Sharing Our Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mpwit

Hi all,

I am curious if the following statements are true...

I read that ...

According to the Barna Research Group, only 55 percent of born-again Christians believe it is their responsibility to even share their faith at all!

According to Dr. Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ,
only 2 percent of Christians share their faith on a regular basis.

It is hard for me to believe that 98% of Christians do not actively share their faith.

two questions I have is

Do you believe it is your responsibility to share your faith?
If you answered yes, are you part of the 2% who do share or 98% who do not?

K

kenisyes

There is a basic requirement for sharing anything, and that is that the person you wish to share with must first know you care about them; if you don't do this, the person has no reason to listen to what may well be something that only works for you. Then, there is the issue that the best way to share is by how you live; if you don't live it, the person has no reason to think that you really believe what you are saying. When you finally get to the talking stage, most Christians, who have not even tried to do the first two stages, have been so busy sharing their traditions and opinions, it's very hard to explain why Jesus is not just a tradition and opinion amidst all the noise they are making.

My personal experience is that about 10% of Christians are trying to build the Kingdom of God. 9.5% are working on trying to build up the 90% of Christians with the traditions and opinions, not living their faith and not caring about the people around them, and 0.5% are out there sharing faith. The other 1.5% counted in your 2% are the ones who say they are sharing faith, who are in fact sharing traditions and opinions.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
It is our calling to be witnesses for Christ Acts 1:8. We are to be ready to give an answer to the hope that is in you. 1 Peter 3:15 The great commission is to go into all the world and tell of Jesus. That includes you and each person in your part of the world. If you have the Lord as your Savior you ought to be able to tell others of how you got saved and why they need to be saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

P

psychomom

Just my experience...

but when we live according to the commands of the Lord Jesus,
people ask. :)

But Ken is right, you have to be in relationship with folks, or they can never see the way you live.

Invite the neighbors to dinner!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Hi all,

I am curious if the following statements are true...

I read that ...

According to the Barna Research Group, only 55 percent of born-again Christians believe it is their responsibility to even share their faith at all!

According to Dr. Bill Bright of Campus Crusade for Christ,
only 2 percent of Christians share their faith on a regular basis.

It is hard for me to believe that 98% of Christians do not actively share their faith.

two questions I have is

Do you believe it is your responsibility to share your faith?
If you answered yes, are you part of the 2% who do share or 98% who do not?
Moreover, if our lives reflect Christ then we are living testimony of the goodness of God. As the saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words", we make Christ better known through our lifestyle. Matthew 5:14-16

Sep 4, 2012
IMO the act of witnessing (as it is now defined and practiced) is a joke. That kind of approach makes sense in times past because virtually no one had heard the good news. Now virtually everyone has heard it and are turned off by those witnessing for Jesus who don't live the life. I think it makes far more sense to focus on actually living the life, and let GOD speak through one's actions. I remember before coming to Christ that the people who really made an impression on me were those who by their conduct made me see something inside of them that I wanted. The ones witnessing for brownie points had the opposite effect on me.

stefen

Jun 14, 2013
I am feeling shame of being in 98% group. As per my past experience, if I am living like Jesus and walking in the guidance of Holy spirit, I can see the needy people (of Christ) easily and could preach gospel to them.

Yes. Few years back, when I was living lonely, I was praying in the early mornings, studying bible, etc.. My neighbors used to call me to their home to pray for sick and for demon possessed people (like they were not able to sleep at nights) etc..,. They have seen difference and fame was advertised. In fact, I can't pray loudly, I felt shy to pray loudly. As I used pray in tongues all the time in my personal prayers. But our God did His work.

I have not continued to stay in the same location for long time. If I would have continued to be there and lived spiritually, may be wonders might have happened. Blind may have been healed, etc.., I used to pray for rain, it came and it stopped when I prayed. There were my colleagues shocked at those wonders. I was working as a gate watchman on those days.

But now, worldly position improved faaaaar better. But forgot my fellowship with God??

There were situations, that I would have utilized. Even now where I am staying, there was a heart diseased man living in our flat ground floor, who is left out by doctors. They said It will require more money to make him well. And he is around 60+ years old. Even if we do surgery, it is doubful for him to live more days. So, he was at home for around 3 to 4 months. But I didn't react..! He was dead. To whom it should be blamed?? Where was my old power??

I am really sorry.. Don't have any other words to say..!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
IMO the act of witnessing (as it is now defined and practiced) is a joke. That kind of approach makes sense in times past because virtually no one had heard the good news. Now virtually everyone has heard it and are turned off by those witnessing for Jesus who don't live the life. I think it makes far more sense to focus on actually living the life, and let GOD speak through one's actions. I remember before coming to Christ that the people who really made an impression on me were those who by their conduct made me see something inside of them that I wanted. The ones witnessing for brownie points had the opposite effect on me.
I find when asked most unbelievers don't know the Gospel and many Christians can't give a clear and simple presentation. I believe the actual Gospel needs to be heard even by both groups.

M

mpwit

I am feeling shame of being in 98% group.
I am sorry Stefen, was not my intent to bring shame by opening this thread but just an awareness.
if I am living like Jesus and walking in the guidance of Holy spirit,
I can see the needy people (of Christ) easily and could preach gospel to them.
A true testiment on how God works in our lives, bless you

Yes. Few years back, when I was living lonely, I was praying in the early mornings, studying bible, etc..
My neighbors used to call me to their home to pray for sick and for demon possessed people (like they were not able to sleep at nights) etc... They have seen difference....our God did His work.
you lived His word.....
If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use.
your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work
2Tim 2:21
I have not continued ....But now, worldly position improved faaaaar better.
But forgot my fellowship with God??
The enemy is on the lose. set out to rob kill and destroy what God desires us to have
there was a heart diseased man .....it is doubful for him to live more days...... home for around 3 to 4 months. ..But I didn't react..! He was dead. To whom it should be blamed?? I am really sorry.. Don't have any other words to say..!
Stefan you are certainly not the one to blame. And you are not alone in the guilt you are feeling
I hear you pain of guilt and can understand. I kinda of been there.
The enemy will lie and try to convince us that it is our fault.
Years ago, I had a general conversation with someone I never met. There was no hint of me being a Christian
other than me being polite and kind. we departed ways and we wished each to have a good day.
The very next week I came face to face with him again. only this time, his face was looking back at me in the obituaries. He died instantly from a car accident. From our conversation he was a good kind hearted man.
Was he Christian?? God only knows.
If I only took the time to ask some key questions
Where was my old power??
Stefan, the power of the Holy Spirit is right where it has always been.
You have a tremedous gift which has been ignored for a period of time and now the Holy Spirit is convicting you.
We can not bring back the past. we can work on the future and recommitt ourselves to the love of God and our Lord Jesus Christ.
The power you desire is a prayer away. Talk to Him. Ask Him. Praise Him for the moment which drew you to Him in the first place.
Listen to the songs...
Above All
Coming back to the Heart of Worship
Most of all....Amazing Grace

This past week I experienced VBS.
for 5 days straight we constantly heard how God's word
helps us to STAND STRONG
through the following verses....
I love you, Lord; you are my strength.
Psa 18 1
So encourage each other and build each other up
1 Thes 5:11
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Phill 4:6
Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.
Isa 26:4
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path
Psa 119:105
I said a prayer for you brother that God brings you back to that place, I believe, you so desire in your heart
In Jesus name
If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use.
your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work
2Tim 2:21

Jun 7, 2013
What about the man in my town wearing a sign declaring end times are coming while he sells pencils from a cup.

Is he witnessing?

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
What about the man in my town wearing a sign declaring end times are comi ng while he sells pencils from a cup.

Is he witnessing?
Well the end times are coming dont know when could be a good while buut they are coming so i guess in a way yea lol besides who dosent need a pencil :)

O

OwenHeidenreich

thats my goal, to be living a lifestyle of sharing my faith and healing in jesus name. so far its going well

M

mpwit

thank you all for your responses.
the reason for the post is to bring awareness that there is a tremendous need in the Christian family.
notuptome is aware of the need
It is our calling to be witnesses for Christ Acts 1:8. We are to be ready to give an answer
to the hope that is in you. 1 Peter 3:15 The great commission is to go into all the world and tell of Jesus.
That includes you and each person in your part of the world. If you have the Lord as your Savior you ought to be able to tell others of how you got saved and why they need to be saved.
Amen
I believe, many Christians desire to take on an acting role vs a speaking one because
many Christians can't give a clear and simple presentation.
and since
"Actions speak louder than words", we make Christ better known through our lifestyle. Matthew 5:14-16
and what HeRoseFromTheDead and kenisyes stated ...
to focus on actually living the life, and let GOD speak through one's actions.
best way to share is by how you live;
because ...
virtually everyone has heard it (gospel message) and are turned off by those witnessing for Jesus who don't live the life.
I agree
the people who really made an impression on me were those who by their
conduct made me see something inside of them that I wanted.
Praise God it was Christians who influenced you HeRoseFromTheDead
Reality is there is a large population of loving, good, kind, peaceful, caring, patient, joyful, faithful, self-controled people
who are not Christian and are influencing each other.
result....blind leading the blind
they possess the qualities of a Christian. The difference, as we all know, between a Christian and a "good faithful person" can not be seen, we have the knowledge that being good does not get us into heaven.... among many other reasons
Which presents a challenge.....
not only to act the part, but have an effective speaking part in your witness, to have a conversation about church, God's love,
or even sharing the gospel message in love and not look at being done for "browny points" as HeRoseFromTheDead said
the person you wish to share with must first know you care about them;
if you don't do this, the person has no reason to listen
well said kenisyes..... in summary, People do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care
the talking stage,most Christians, ....it's very hard to explain why Jesus is not just
a tradition and opinion amidst all the noise they are making.
I believe it is the vocal stage which is reflected in the fact only 2% Christians share their faith regularily of the 55% of Christians who know it is their responsibility to share their faith then their is one way to share our faith which no one mentioned.....
psychomom has a great idea ...
but when we live according to the commands of the Lord Jesus,
people ask....Invite the neighbors to dinner!
then there is what happened to this one lost soul....invite them to.....

http://christianchat.com/christian-family-forum/69190-invitation.html

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I tried for nearly 30 years to live like a Christian and never led a person to the Lord. I took a course in evangelism and learned how to open doors and share the gospel message.

My husband and I are a great team! He preaches repentance and I preach God's love. Every person who God led our way is actively following Christ. We even led both my parents to the Lord in their 80's after giving my testimony and the plan of salvation!

Now I KNOW it is totally God that does the saving. But Paul says, "How shall they hear without a preacher?"

Matt 28:18-20 is clear we are all called to make disciples- not converts, but people who follow Christ! It is a cop-out to say that JUST lifestyle is enough! The Word Of God is needed to convict, and the power of the Holy Spirit. That means praying, staying in the Word daily and walking with Christ.

It is very sad so many Christians don't know how to effectively share their faith in North America!

Last edited:
M

mpwit

It is very sad so many Christians don't know how to effectively share their faith in North America!
I do not believe I would of either if I did not accept an invitation to join our "sharing my faith" ministry"there we learned the tools on how to effectively share your faith.
The vocal stage of "Sharing your Faith", I believe is a scary proposition for many Christians. Every six months we would have a ministry fair
set up in the lobby at or church. Out of a congregation of over 1500, very few people came by our table to ask questions or even pick up a
brochure.
I took a course in evangelism and learned how to open doors and share the gospel message.
I learned how to effectively share my faith through a "Sharing my Faith" ministry team our church had which visited people at their homes after an altar decision was made. It was being visited by 3 members of the team who came to my house after I made a decision for Christ. The team answered all the questions I had and offered a 4 week lesson plan which were themed bible studies to help me when taking my first steps in my new found faith. After lesson one, they presented me again with the gospel message in a loving way, whereby I recommitted my altar decision and was firmly rooted in my walk with the Lord.
My husband and I are a great team! He preaches repentance and I preach God's love. Every person who God led our way is actively following Christ. We even led both my parents to the Lord in their 80's after giving my testimony and the plan of salvation!
Thank you Angela for your wonderful testimony
I would eventually join the sharing my faith ministry and learn how to effectively share the Gospel.I so desired and wanted to learn how to share my faith so people can discover God in their life too. It is such a joy sitting "knee cap to knee cap" with someone sharing my faith and watching God do his work in bringing a lost soul to salvation, only to experience the joy the new convert has at that moment ..... such a blessing

The follow may help in offer tools to anyone who want to learn how to effectively share their faith
The Way of the Master

I tried for nearly 30 years to live like a Christian and never led a person to the Lord. I KNOW it is totally God that does the saving. Paul says, "How shall they hear without a preacher?"Matt 28:18-20 is clear we are all called to make disciples- not converts, but people who follow Christ!
It is a cop-out to say that JUST lifestyle is enough!
It is difficult when all they see is a "good" person as I mentioned in previous post #14, We need to learn how to speak the part
The Word Of God is needed to convict, and the power of the Holy Spirit. That means praying, staying in the Word daily and walking with Christ.
Amen... Thank you Angela

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mpwit

Wow. Awesome. A friend just posted this awesome presentation of the gospel.
Share your faith by sharing this video.
Be prepared for a suspenseful journey that will challenge your faith. I pray by the end of the video all who witness it will come unto the knowledge of truth and the truth will set you free. AWESOMELY INTENSE AND TRUE
God bless
Eric Ludy - The Gospel - YouTube