Shimei Curses David

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Becky216

What is the example that David is trying to demonstrate while being cursed by Shimei?

2 Samuel 16:5-12

As King David approached Bahurim, a man from the same clan as Saul’s family came out from there. His name was Shimei son of Gera, and he cursed as he came out. He pelted David and all the king’s officials with stones, though all the troops and the special guard were on David’s right and left. As he cursed, Shimei said, "Get out, get out, you murderer, you scoundrel! The Lord has repaid you for all the blood you shed in the household of Saul, in whose place you have reigned. The Lord has given the kingdom into the hands of your son Absalom. You have come to ruin because you are a murderer!"  Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head."  But the king said, "What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’" David then said to Abishai and all his officials, "My son, my own flesh and blood, is trying to kill me. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the Lord has told him to. It may be that the Lord will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today. "

B

Becky216

I find it very interesting how many viewed this page, but could not reply back...Which this kind of topic many don't want to bring up or even go through it...So I do understand why many didn't answer...But it's these scriptures that are push to the side and not talked about because the less we have to suffer...the better. So i will explain what David is demonstrating in these verses...Lets check out some key points:

His name was Shimei son of Gera, and he cursed as he came out. He pelted David and all the king’s officials with stones, though all the troops and the special guard were on David’s right and left. As he cursed, Shimei said, “Get out, get out, you murderer, you scoundrel!

Shimei came out to curse, pelt and throw stones and called David a murderer and a scoundrel along with his officials. Ask yourself this....Who has cursed you out because of your desire to please Christ and be a follower of Jesus Christ? Have you been beaten for your belief? Have you been lied on because of your belief? For all God's children will go through some type of persecution.

Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head.”

We all get to this point where we get sick and tired of being bulled and what too pursue revenge for ourself...

But the king said, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the LORD said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’

I'm sure David does not like to be mistreated like that, no one does. But he is showing an example of his full Trust in God, regardless of the suffering and the humiliation he had to endure in the process....

David then said to Abishai and all his officials, “My son, my own flesh and blood, is trying to kill me. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. It may be that the LORD will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today. ”

I think theirs no greater hurt to have, to experience then betrayal from your own flesh and blood...no greater hurt... But it does happen, countless times it happen to me and others as well...But I love how David turn it around to a positive outlook...He had Confidence in God that through this trail that God would Bless Him for not Giving Up...Not Giving in....and Staying Faithtul to Him through the hurt and the Pain.....

B

Becky216

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:18-19