Should home churches be required to meet ordinance zones?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

violakat

Ok, so I finally saw the sign that a couple of people mentioned. Let me go over this a bit.

Is the sign actually an advertisment for a church, thus making it a public church, as both Jordache and Natulis seem to think? Or, is it being a tool to witness?

First, in one city I lived in a few years ago, there was a house that had Bible verses and other Christian signs on it's fences. This did not signify that it was a church. It was just a method that the people chose to witness to others.

The sign in front of the house does not say anything about a church being held there. So, before one could conclude that the sign was advertising a church there, there needs to be other clues. Clue no. 1 is the sign itself. The type of sign that's on the property is the type that normally buisnesses use. I have never seen something like that in a home. The ones I've seen have been cardboard. Clue no. 2 is the cross standing next to it. Now, neither of these two clues (evidence) actually mean that there is a church there. But, the cross is usually a symbol of a church. Or at least one many people associate with churches, and not just decoration for the front of a home. So, while neither one does actually mean an advertisment for a church, one might concievably draw a conclusion that indeed a church was held there. So, in a way, it might make it public.

The one problem though, is that if you could only attend by invite, then it no longer becomes a public church, but remains a private Bible study or gathering, or does it? I guess that is the question now. Does the fact that a cross in front of the house and a sign that says "There is always hope in Jesus" autmatically make a gathering place a public church?

Natulis and Jordache, thanks for making me aware of the sign.

V

violakat

He's supposed to have a permit isn't he?
IF it's a private Bible study, no. If it was a public worship, yes. The question is, now, is it a private Bible Study or a Public Worship service? See my last response for additional information.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
IF it's a private Bible study, no. If it was a public worship, yes. The question is, now, is it a private Bible Study or a Public Worship service? See my last response for additional information.
With 40-50 people...i think you are logically outside the range of private bible study

F

Foxxtale

Well considering he had a sign in the front yard and 40-50 people at this 'house service' i wouldnt be surprised if someone did. I would have, just because that many people would be disruptive coming and going and I wouldnt want it right next door for any reason. Maybe instead of sitting around in this 'oh woe are us, we are soo dreadfully persecuted' mindset look at the fact that what this guy was doing was probably causing a disruption in the area and also with that many people there probably are fire codes and all sorts of other stuff he was breaking. He wasnt mr. innocent.
I gotta agree with this. even if there wasn't a sign out front, the zoning regulations are in place for a reason. 40-50 people means a TON of cars out front. It means that his house has become a public meeting place instead of a private residence as was intended. There are plenty of places to put up a legal bible study here in Arizona. He could have used a church, or a cafe, or a park, or practically anywhere else that has been designed for that sort of traffic. there are other options that could have been implemented to be well within the laws. This isn't persecution - this is someone that broke the law getting what anyone else would have gotten for doing the same thing.