Should we add coconut oil to our smoothies?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Trisha1

I have been hearing about coconut oil and would like to know the views of others on here. It is antifungal and they say it increases HDL. I wouldn't call it coconut oil, I would rename it coconut butter since it is a solid and not what one would normally call oil. You can cook with it, spread it and even use it on face and hair.
It is supposed to be good for our brains and not supposed to act the same way as other saturated fat, clogging our arteries.
This may be true, and it usually takes the medical community a few years to catch up.
What do you think? Fact or fiction?

mochi

May 26, 2015
coconut oil has antifungal and can increases HDL.. i think its true/fact.. i read some journal about it before so i think its not fiction.. i mean virgin coconut oil aka VCO.. with butter i dont know.. to turn oil --> butter we need something to add.. so i dont know if "something" added is good or not.. i prefer using VCO directly.. in my place we drink VCO for healthy purpose, rub in hair etc etc :cool: if you curious about the journal you can type "coconut oil increase HDL pdf" in google.. there are bunch of science proof/journal there.. hth :)

mochi

May 26, 2015
ooppsss.. i just realize that you called it butter since its in the solid form.. lol.. yes, coconut oil in your area will turn solid due to weather... i was thinking about real butter before... i'm sorry.. hehehe >_<

T

Trisha1

I saw the video on the guy with Alzheimers doing better with the coconut oil, but then he relapsed so I don't think its a cure. Mayo clinic still thinks its bad as in saturated fat.
Im using pure virgin coconut oil
Its interesting. They said on the news feature on coconut oil that they can isolate the thing in it that works on Alzheimers, but it would be WAY too expensive. Maybe we should just use it from infantcy and it would keep us from getting Alzheimers, but it can't cure it once you have it. Don't know...
Anyone else got any thoughts on it all?
Thanks for the comments.

Dec 26, 2014
everything the mayo clinic publishes, basically, is a lie as they are under the control of the prince of darkness.

alzheimers is preventable, simply. always was. complete deception is the "norm" today by the dunglords (drugmakers) .....

coconut oil is oil . coconut butter is butter and coconut milk(drink) and is way way way better than processed milk.

T

Trisha1

Also, how much should I use each day? I have used margarine all my life so far, because butter was touted as bad for the heart and there are heart problems in my family,, lots. I eat lean meat and more chicken than beef for the most part. Even do some vegetarian meals. So, to get back to it, should I take four teaspoons a day of coconut oil?

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
VCO always in liquid form in our country=). Some use 1-4 tsp, me 1-2. Since you use other oils for salads and othr dishes too, perhaps that amount is alright.

T

Trisha1

OK, I will use 1-2 as it will still add to the daily calorie count. I have always thought the health "nuts" were way ahead of the medical community on diet and nutrition anyway.

R

RachelBibleStudent

coconut oil is one of the only plant oils that is a saturated fat...

most saturated fats are not good for you to have in your intake on a regular basis...

but coconut oil is evidently an exception...it apparently behaves in your bloodstream more like an unsaturated fat...

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I read that coconut oil is the world’s most weight loss friendly fat and that it contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful effects on metabolism.

Several studies show that just by adding coconut oil to your diet, you can lose fat, especially the "dangerous" fat in the abdominal cavity. :) How Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Weight

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I read a book on how coconut oil can help you lose weight. But apparently studies show that if you ingest too many calories, no matter what the origin, you will gain weight.

Does Coconut Oil Make You Fat or Lose Weight? | LIVESTRONG.COM

I use coconut oil in cooking, being careful not to overheat it. I like it better than other oils. I also use coconut oil on my skin, and it really helps with dryness and itching.

My daughter has a cocker spaniel and she puts it on her paws and feeds it to her to eat. Her dog is doing much better since she started doing this.

B

bowharp

I go to Wholefoods in British Columbia and they are selling Coconut drinks like soda/pop...wonder if it's all marketing in the end?

Last edited by a moderator:

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I heard someone say bottled or canned coconut juice tastes so diff., but if you cannot get the fresh (real) thing from the fruit, what choice do you have... but young coconut juice is real good and healthy, sometimes w/ pineapple juice or what others prefer. Here we can only have canned peaches wc i imagine is a lot different from the fresh, while we get the real nice juicy mangoes so different i hear from what many get in Asian stores or mkts abroad.

E

EdisonTrent

I have been hearing about coconut oil and would like to know the views of others on here. It is antifungal and they say it increases HDL. I wouldn't call it coconut oil, I would rename it coconut butter since it is a solid and not what one would normally call oil. You can cook with it, spread it and even use it on face and hair.
It is supposed to be good for our brains and not supposed to act the same way as other saturated fat, clogging our arteries.
This may be true, and it usually takes the medical community a few years to catch up.
What do you think? Fact or fiction?
Fact

using virgin coconut oil for mouthwash makes for healthy gums, just a tablespoon swishing it around a few minutes.

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
A doctor named Mary T. Newport, M.D. wrote a book about treating her husband with coconut oil and MCT for Alzheimer's. MCT stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides. There is a lot of information about coconut oil in it and I will give you some of the highlights of that information. There are three basic kinds of fats/oils, short chain, medium chain and long chain. Long chain fats and oils, and that is what most fats and oils are, do not digest easily and when in the body are easily stored as fat. Medium chain and short chain fats and oils are digested easily and are either used directly for energy or go to the liver to be transformed into ketones which are used instead of glucose by the cells for energy. 60% to 70% of coconut oil is medium chain fat and when used instead of other oils, often helps people lose weight. The doctor does recommend checking with your own doctor before changing to all coconut oil because a bad liver may not be able to handle the extra work. The book title, if interested is, Alzheimer's Disease What If There Was a Cure? The Story of Ketones.