Sin as it relates to prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I think people who desire sin cut themselves off from the Lord’s granting our prayer requests. The Lord asks us to repent. When we repent it does not mean we become sin free, but we free ourselves with the help of Jesus from the desire to sin.

A test was made of the effectiveness of three different ways of solving people’s problems. One was psychiatry, one was a half hour devoted to prayer alone, and a group facing their sins that stood between them and God hearing them. The last group won over the rest. In fact, in this test, some of the people using a half hour of prayer a day made things worse. The person who reported the test felt it was because they simply repeated their problems to the Lord, praying for the problem not the solution.

One of the methods used by the last group was to address and overcome grudges they had against someone close, especially a parent.

John 9:31 We know that God does not hear the prayers of sinners, but if anyone is a worshipper of God and does his will, God hears him"

Matthew 6: 14-15 If someone refuses, when genuinely asked to forgive, how can that person expect to receive forgiveness when asking God? As Jesus said, "If you do not forgive people their trespasses, then neither will your heavenly Father forgive you"

Psalm 66:18 If I had been aware of malice in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.

Prayer is fellowship with the Lord. 1 John 1 …..God is light and there is absolutely no darkness in Him.

1 John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with Him, yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth.

1 John 2:1 …if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father: Jesus Christ.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
I think people who desire sin cut themselves off from the Lord’s granting our prayer requests. The Lord asks us to repent. When we repent it does not mean we become sin free, but we free ourselves with the help of Jesus from the desire to sin.

A test was made of the effectiveness of three different ways of solving people’s problems. One was psychiatry, one was a half hour devoted to prayer alone, and a group facing their sins that stood between them and God hearing them. The last group won over the rest. In fact, in this test, some of the people using a half hour of prayer a day made things worse. The person who reported the test felt it was because they simply repeated their problems to the Lord, praying for the problem not the solution.

One of the methods used by the last group was to address and overcome grudges they had against someone close, especially a parent.

John 9:31 We know that God does not hear the prayers of sinners, but if anyone is a worshipper of God and does his will, God hears him"

Matthew 6: 14-15 If someone refuses, when genuinely asked to forgive, how can that person expect to receive forgiveness when asking God? As Jesus said, "If you do not forgive people their trespasses, then neither will your heavenly Father forgive you"

Psalm 66:18 If I had been aware of malice in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.

Prayer is fellowship with the Lord. 1 John 1 …..God is light and there is absolutely no darkness in Him.

1 John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with Him, yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and not practicing the truth.

1 John 2:1 …if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father: Jesus Christ.
YOU haft to fight to not sin,
1. Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
2. Timothy4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Yes we do And we best Let our advocate lead us back into repentance, And get the blood applied TO that sin or we will be lost just like the BIBLE says

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I believe this Scripture is speaking of sinners that are praying for some thing or some enrichment for themselves.

However God surely hears the prayer of a sinner who desires to repent, confess their sins and receive the saving grace of God! (just saying)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I believe this Scripture is speaking of sinners that are praying for some thing or some enrichment for themselves.

However God surely hears the prayer of a sinner who desires to repent, confess their sins and receive the saving grace of God! (just saying)
I do believe that John 9:31 is speaking of all sinners, not specifying one kind of sin. It is OK for us to disagree.

You are so right to point out that God is listening for us to speak to Him, and anyone who goes to God with a contrite and humble spirit is not only listened to, but welcomed with open arms.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
It is wrong to think that God answers our prayers based on what we do. God is not a vending machine where we put in a token and get a cookie in return.

God always answers prayer. God does not nor is He obligated to answer our prayers the way we want then answered. Prayer is a sincere form of worship. If God gives us tribulation it is for our benefit.

If we continue in sin why would we not expect God to send tribulation or even death to keep us from causing harm to the rest of the body of believers?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It is wrong to think that God answers our prayers based on what we do. God is not a vending machine where we put in a token and get a cookie in return.

God always answers prayer. God does not nor is He obligated to answer our prayers the way we want then answered. Prayer is a sincere form of worship. If God gives us tribulation it is for our benefit.

If we continue in sin why would we not expect God to send tribulation or even death to keep us from causing harm to the rest of the body of believers?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
John 9:31 tells us that God does not listen to sinners. We all sin, and we know God is there for us when we call on Him, so God must mean it is only when we are cleared of sin through Christ that God listens. Psalm 66:18 Repeats it.